Update on Major League Soccer Expansion in Sacramento
February 26, 2021 - Major League Soccer (MLS) News Release
NEW YORK, N.Y. - Earlier today, Ron Burkle informed the League that based on issues with the project related to COVID-19, he has decided to not move forward with the acquisition of an MLS expansion team in Sacramento.
After working for many years to bring an MLS team to Sacramento, the League continues to believe it can be a great MLS market. In the coming days, the League will work with Mayor Darrell Steinberg to evaluate possible next steps for MLS in Sacramento.
"I want to thank Mayor Steinberg for his continued efforts to bring MLS to Sacramento," said MLS Commissioner Don Garber. "His commitment to the city and delivering for its passionate soccer fans should make all citizens of Sacramento proud.
"Interest in owning a club in Major League Soccer has never been higher. And I remain incredibly optimistic about finalizing expansion plans for our 30th team."
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from February 26, 2021
- Atlanta United unveils "The BLVCK" Kit for 2021 season - Atlanta United FC
- Update on Major League Soccer Expansion in Sacramento - MLS
- Minnesota United Presents 2021 River Kit - Minnesota United FC
- Sounders FC 2021 Preseason Begins March 1 at Starfire Sports - Seattle Sounders FC
- Rapids' Belief in Youth Key to New Assistant Chris Little's Appointment - Colorado Rapids
- Vibe II Jersey Celebration Saturday - Nashville SC
- Nashville SC Unveils Vibe II, its 2021/22 Major League Soccer Away Jersey - Nashville SC
- Wolde Harris and Chris Little Join Rapids Coaching Staff as Assistants - Colorado Rapids
- Austin FC Names Chief Medical Officer and Chief Orthopedic Officer - Austin FC
- CF Montreal to Start Training Camp on Monday - Club de Foot Montreal
- New York Red Bulls Add Carlos Coronel on Loan from Red Bull Salzburg - New York Red Bulls
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.