Aulie Named Captain
Brandon, Manitoba -- The Brandon Wheat Kings are pleased to announce that 19-year old defenceman Keith Aulie has been named the new Captain of the Western Hockey League club. Aulie becomes the 51st Captain in franchise history, succeeding defenceman Daryl Boyle who graduated from the WHL last spring.
A 6'6" 222 lb native of Rouleau, Saskatchewan, Aulie is entering his fourth season in the WHL. In 176 career games, the Calgary Flames draft choice has six goals, 28 points and 195 minutes in penalties.
This year's Alternate Captains include 20-year olds Chad Erb, Matt Lowry and Andrew Clark as well as 17-year old center Brayden Schenn. While Erb and Clark are entering their fourth and final seasons with the Wheat Kings, Lowry is set to begin his second after spending the 2006-07 campaign in Medicine Hat. Schenn meanwhile is the reigning Western League Rookie of the Year.
A former first round bantam draft choice of the Wheat Kings, Aulie will make his debut with the "C" Friday night when the Wheat Kings bring the curtain up on their 2008-2008 regular season against the visiting Regina Pats at Westman Place.
Game time is 7:30 and as of Wednesday afternoon, just over 3,000 tickets had been purchased for Friday's opener.
Tickets to Friday's game are on sale at the Keystone box office, by calling 726-3555 or online at ticketmaster.ca.
Speaking of tickets, the Wheat Kings say they've sold 2,465 Season Tickets. Last season, the club set a franchise record by selling over 2,700.
• Discuss this story on the Western Hockey League message board...
Western Hockey League Stories from September 17, 2008
- Tony Aasman Passes - Prince Albert Raiders
- Rebels Make Deal With Regina - Red Deer Rebels
- Aulie Named Captain - Brandon Wheat Kings
- Handful of tickets still available for Dairy Queen Home Opener Friday - Lethbridge Hurricanes
- Pats Pull Trigger on a Pair of Deals - Regina Pats
- WHL Dedicates 43rd Regular Season to Ed Chynoweth - WHL
- WHL Commissioner Ron Robison Launches 2008-09 WHL Regular Season - WHL
- Donny Parenteau to Sing Anthem at Home Opener - Saskatoon Blades
- Raiders Resolve Overage Dilemma, Ship Jagow to Seattle - Prince Albert Raiders
- T-Birds Acquire Jagow From Prince Albert - Seattle Thunderbirds
- Flames Reassign Aulie - Brandon Wheat Kings
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.