Atlanta United Signs Manuel Castro on Loan from Estudiantes
ATLANTA - Atlanta United announced today it has signed winger Manuel Castro on loan from Club Estudiantes de La Plata of Argentina's Primera DivisiÃ³n. The loan will last through the end of June with a club option to extend to the end of the calendar year. Castro will occupy an international roster slot and will be added to the roster pending the receipt of his International Transfer Certificate (ITC) and P-1 Visa.
"Manuel is a versatile winger with valuable experience in both the Argentine and Uruguayan first divisions and he'll add solid competition to our attack," Atlanta United Vice President and Technical Director Carlos Bocanegra said. "His work rate and willingness to run both ways fits in with our dynamic style of play. We look forward to welcoming him to Atlanta and into our team."
Castro, 24, joins Atlanta United with more than 100 professional appearances between Uruguay and Argentina's top divisions. The Duranzo, Uruguay native began his career with Montevideo Wanderers in 2014 where he made his professional debut at 19 years old on Dec. 6 against Sud America in Uruguayan Primera DivisiÃ³n play.
He became a regular starter during the 2016 season when he made 15 appearances, scored three goals and assisted twice while helping Montevideo to a second-place finish in the league and qualification to Copa Libertadores. Castro played for Montevideo from 2014-18 where he made 87 appearances, scored 17 goals and registered 13 assists across all competitions. He scored a career-high six goals with four assists in the 2018 season before he joined Estudiantes in January of 2019.
Castro made his club debut with Estudiantes Jan. 29, 2019 against Velez Sarsfield and scored his first goal Feb. 18 against Argentinos Juniors. He made nine appearances after joining the team midway through the 2018-19 season and scored one goal. Castro made 14 appearances this season and scored one goal, a game-winner against Talleres on Nov. 9. During his time with Estudiantes, he made 27 appearances across all competitions and scored three goals.
Name: Manuel Castro
Birthdate: Sept. 27, 1995 (age: 24)
Birthplace: Duranzo, Uruguay
Transaction: Atlanta United signs Manuel Castro on loan from Estudiantes de La Plata on Feb. 12, 2020.
2020 Atlanta United roster (as of Feb. 12, 2020)
Goalkeepers (3): Brad Guzan, Alec Kann, Brendan Moore
Defenders (10): George Bello, George Campbell, Edgar Castillo, Franco Escobar, Jon Gallagher*, Brooks Lennon, Fernando Meza, Patrick Nielsen****, Miles Robinson, Anton Walkes
Midfielders (10): Mo Adams, Ezequiel Barco, Andrew Carleton***, Manuel Castro, Luiz Fernando, Emerson Hyndman, Jeff Larentowicz, Jake Mulraney, Eric Remedi, Matheus Rossetto
Forwards (4): Adam Jahn, Lagos Kunga**, Josef Martinez, Pity Martinez
* - on loan with Aberdeen
** - on loan with Phoenix Rising
*** - on loan with Indy Eleven
**** - unsigned SuperDraft pick
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from February 12, 2020
- Sounders FC Plays Pair of Preseason Friendlies in Mexico City - Seattle Sounders FC
- Atlanta United Surpasses 1 Million Twitter Followers, First in MLS - Atlanta United FC
- Revolution Top Colorado Rapids, 3-1, in Preseason Action - New England Revolution
- Timbers Announce Broadcast Details for 2020 Season - Portland Timbers
- Atlanta United Signs Manuel Castro on Loan from Estudiantes - Atlanta United FC
- FC Cincinnati Season Kick-Off Event Set for March 4 - FC Cincinnati
- Earthquakes Stadium to Host USWNT Friendly against Brazil on April 14 - San Jose Earthquakes
- MNUFC Signs Forwad Aaron Schoenfeld - Minnesota United FC
- FC Dallas Announces Partnership with Entercom - FC Dallas
- MNUFC Loans Dayne St. Clair to San Antonio - Minnesota United FC
- Atlanta United Falls 3-1 on Penalties to Leones Negros in Final Preseason Friendly - Atlanta United FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Atlanta United FC Stories
- Atlanta United Announce Year-End Roster Moves
- Atlanta United Announces Provisional Roster for Scotiabank Concacaf Champions League
- Two Atlanta United Players Undergo Successful Post-Season Surgery
- MLS Unveils 2020 Best-Selling Jerseys; Josef Martinez Only Player to Rank Top-Three in Each of the Past Four Seasons
- Atlanta United Drops Regular Season Finale to Columbus Crew SC