MNUFC Signs Forwad Aaron Schoenfeld
GOLDEN VALLEY, Minn. - Minnesota United today announced the club has signed forward Aaron Schoenfeld from Maccabi Tel Aviv in the Israeli Premier League. MNUFC initially acquired Schoenfeld's MLS rights from Columbus Crew in exchange for a second round 2021 MLS SuperDraft Pick and additional considerations if Schoenfeld meets certain performance-based metrics.
"Aaron give us extra strength and depth at the forward position," said MNUFC Head Coach Adrian Heath. "He's been in the league, he's experienced. And we know that during the year, Mason [Toye] will be at the Olympics and the strength and depth is going to be necessary. Between Aaron, [Luis] Amarilla and Mason, we feel as though we're in a really good spot. He's a little bit different than what we have: he's 6'4", he's very good with his back to the goal, he's good coming on late in games if we need to put balls in the box. We feel as though he was great value for the money and - having worked with him before because we tried to sign him in Orlando - he's a great kid and we think he'll fit into what we're trying to build here"
Schoenfeld has spent the last four seasons in the Israeli Premier League and three with Maccabi Tel Aviv where he's made 46 appearances with four goals. The forward joins the Loons with some MLS experience, having been drafted by Montreal Impact in the 2012 MLS Supplemental Draft and acquired by Columbus Crew the next year. He made his professional debut March 24, 2012 with the Crew against the Impact as a sub in the 69th minute. In 2014, the Crew loaned Schoenfeld to Dayton Dutch Lions where he became the club's record holder for goals scored in a single season (12). Schoenfeld would make 51 appearances for Columbus, knocking in five goals, including a brace against the New York Red Bulls.
Tickets for the first half of the 2020 season at Allianz Field are on sale now at mnufc.com/tickets. Season ticket members, members of The Preserve and subscribers to the MNUFC newsletter will get access to special presales throughout the season before the general public. Visit mnufc.com/preserve for more info on The Preserve and mnufc.com/newsletter for more info on subscribing to the newsletter.
Transaction: Minnesota United signs forward Aaron Schoenfeld. MNUFC initially acquired Schoenfeld's MLS rights from Columbus Crew SC in exchange for a second round 2021 MLS SuperDraft Pick.
Date of birth: 04.17.1990 (29 years old)
Weight: 190 lbs
Birthplace: Knoxville, Tennessee
Citizenship: United States
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from February 12, 2020
- Sounders FC Plays Pair of Preseason Friendlies in Mexico City - Seattle Sounders FC
- Atlanta United Surpasses 1 Million Twitter Followers, First in MLS - Atlanta United FC
- Revolution Top Colorado Rapids, 3-1, in Preseason Action - New England Revolution
- Timbers Announce Broadcast Details for 2020 Season - Portland Timbers
- Atlanta United Signs Manuel Castro on Loan from Estudiantes - Atlanta United FC
- FC Cincinnati Season Kick-Off Event Set for March 4 - FC Cincinnati
- Earthquakes Stadium to Host USWNT Friendly against Brazil on April 14 - San Jose Earthquakes
- MNUFC Signs Forwad Aaron Schoenfeld - Minnesota United FC
- FC Dallas Announces Partnership with Entercom - FC Dallas
- MNUFC Loans Dayne St. Clair to San Antonio - Minnesota United FC
- Atlanta United Falls 3-1 on Penalties to Leones Negros in Final Preseason Friendly - Atlanta United FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Minnesota United FC Stories
- MNUFC Take 2-0 Win over Houston Dynamo
- Minnesota United FC vs. Houston Dynamo Preview
- Minnesota United Celebrates Hispanic Heritage Month
- MNUFC Youth Development Program Announce 2021-22 MLS Next Season Schedule and Roster
- Reynoso Brace Propels Loons Dominant Win over La Galaxy