Atlanta United Surpasses 1 Million Twitter Followers, First in MLS
ATLANTA - Atlanta United announced today that the club has surpassed 1 million followers on Twitter, becoming the first team in MLS history to do so.
"From the start we have prioritized building relationships and connecting with our fans where, when, and how they like," Atlanta United Vice President of Business Operations Catie Griggs said. "This milestone reflects the amazing support we have received on-and-off the field. We are proud to have reached the ambitious objective of becoming the first MLS team to reach 1 million Twitter followers."
Launched in March of 2014, Atlanta United's Twitter account (@ATLUTD) quickly owned one of the league's biggest followings, taking the MLS lead in March of 2017. As of Feb. 12, the average MLS team had 291,000 followers, with Seattle Sounders FC (565,500) and LA Galaxy (521,100) closest behind.
Atlanta United will begin its 2020 season against FC Motagua in the Scotiabank Concacaf Champions League Round of 16 on Tuesday, Feb. 18 (10:00 p.m. EST, FOX Soccer Plus, Sports Radio 92-9 The Game). The match was moved from Tegucigalpa to Estadio Olimpico Metropolitano in San Pedro Sula, Honduras. Atlanta will host the return leg the following week on Tuesday, Feb. 25 (8:00 p.m., FS1, Sports Radio 92-9 The Game) at Fifth Third Bank Stadium in Kennesaw.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from February 12, 2020
- Sounders FC Plays Pair of Preseason Friendlies in Mexico City - Seattle Sounders FC
- Atlanta United Surpasses 1 Million Twitter Followers, First in MLS - Atlanta United FC
- Revolution Top Colorado Rapids, 3-1, in Preseason Action - New England Revolution
- Timbers Announce Broadcast Details for 2020 Season - Portland Timbers
- Atlanta United Signs Manuel Castro on Loan from Estudiantes - Atlanta United FC
- FC Cincinnati Season Kick-Off Event Set for March 4 - FC Cincinnati
- Earthquakes Stadium to Host USWNT Friendly against Brazil on April 14 - San Jose Earthquakes
- MNUFC Signs Forwad Aaron Schoenfeld - Minnesota United FC
- FC Dallas Announces Partnership with Entercom - FC Dallas
- MNUFC Loans Dayne St. Clair to San Antonio - Minnesota United FC
- Atlanta United Falls 3-1 on Penalties to Leones Negros in Final Preseason Friendly - Atlanta United FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.