Atlanta United Falls 2-1 against FC Dallas
ATLANTA - Atlanta United lost 2-1 against FC Dallas Saturday at Mercedes-Benz Stadium in front of 43,351 fans. Josef Martinez scored his second goal of the season, converting a penalty in second-half stoppage time, but the club was unable to find an equalizer despite posting a season-high in shot attempts (22).
Jesus Ferreira started the scoring for FC Dallas in the sixth minute. Michael Barrios launched a counterattack by himself, making a 40-yard run from midfield before sending a cross in from the right side that Ferreira calmly finished. Atlanta fared well throughout the remainder of the half and thought it had an equalizer from Ezequiel Barco in the 26th minute, but his shot rang off the post.
Atlanta piled on more pressure in the second half by dominating possession that resulted in a flurry of chances. Barco again hit the cross bar from a free kick in the 61st minute. Then Martinez was denied in the 79th minute with a diving stop from FC Dallas goalkeeper Jose Luis Gonzalez, who made seven saves on the night. Shortly after that, in the 84th minute, FC Dallas doubled the lead from Bryan Acosta, who finished off another counterattack for a 2-0 lead.
Brek Shea drew a penalty in second-half stoppage time with the decision coming from video review. Martinez stepped up and put his attempt into the right corner for his second goal of the season.
Atlanta United (1-3-2, 5 points) returns to action Saturday, April 27 against Colorado Rapids at Mercedes-Benz Stadium (6:00 p.m. EST, FOX Sports Southeast, Sports Radio 92-9 The Game).
FC Dallas 2, Atlanta United 1
Shots: 22-8 Atlanta
Shots on Target: 8-6 Atlanta
Corner kicks: 10-2 Atlanta
Fouls committed: 18-12 FC Dallas
Clearances: 36-8 FC Dallas
Offside: 3-1 FC Dallas
Saves: 7-4 FC Dallas
Possession: 71-29 Atlanta
Passing Accuracy: 86-70 Atlanta
DAL - Jesus Ferreira 6' (Michael Barrios) [HIGHLIGHT]
DAL - Bryan Acosta 84' (Michael Barrios, Edwin Cerrillo) [HIGHLIGHT]
ATL - Josef Martinez 90+7' [HIGHLIGHT]
ATL - Leandro Gonzalez Pirez 40' (yellow)
DAL - Matt Hedges 59' (yellow)
ATL - Jeff Larentowicz 61' (yellow)
DAL - Michael Barrios 63' (yellow)
DAL - Jesse Gonzalez 74' (yellow)
DAL - Jacori Hayes 90+6' (yellow)
DAL - Bryan Acosta 90+7' (yellow)
ATLANTA UNITED STARTING LINEUP
Brad Guzan; Leandro González Pirez, Michael Parkhurst ©, Miles Robinson, Brek Shea; Julian Gressel (Dion Pereira - 80'), Darlington Nagbe, Jeff Larentowicz; Ezequiel Barco, Héctor Villalba (Gonzalo Martinez - 65'), Josef Martinez.
Substitutes not used: Alec Kann, Romario Williams, Franco Escobar, Andrew Carleton, Florentin Pogba.
FC DALLAS STARTING LINEUP
Jesse Gonzalez; Bressan (John Nelson - 61'), Reto Ziegler ©, Matt Hedges; Edwin Cerrillo, Carlos Gruezo, Ryan Hollingshead, Reggie Cannon; Michael Barrios, Jesús Ferreira (Bryan Acosta - 72'), Paxton Pomykal (Jacori Hayes - 86').
Substitutes not used: Jimmy Maurer, Santiago Mosquera, Pablo Aránguiz, Zdenek Ondrasek.
Armando Villareal (referee), Jason White (assistant), Jose J. Da Silva (assistant), Alejandro Mariscal (fourth), Jorge Gonzalez (VAR), Jonathan Johnson (assistant VAR)
Jeff Larentowicz appeared in his 396th career game, good for third place all-time in league history among field players. He's 11 behind Chad Marshall for second place.
Jeff Larentowicz started his 375th career game, also good for third place all-time in league history among field players. He's 27 behind Marshall for second.
Atlanta posted a season-high 22 shot attempts against FC Dallas. It was the highest in a regular season game since Sept. 2, 2018 against D.C. United (22). It was tied for third-most all-time in club history, behind Philadelphia (6/2/18 - 31) and D.C. United (4/30/17 - 26).
It was the second-highest possession for Atlanta this season, posting 71.2% possession. The season-high came against Philadelphia (71.4%). It was the ninth-best performance by possession in club history.
Leandro Gonzalez Pirez was fouled a career-high seven times. His previous high was four - (5/7/17 at NYCFC and 10/6/18 vs. New England).
Ezequiel Barco was fouled six times, one shy of his career high (5/30/18 at New England).
Dion Pereira made his club debut.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from April 20, 2019
- Revolution Top New York Red Bulls, 1-0 - New England Revolution
- Red Bulls Fall in New England - New York Red Bulls
- FC Dallas Defeats Atlanta United FC 2-1 - FC Dallas
- Atlanta United Falls 2-1 against FC Dallas - Atlanta United FC
- Lions Earn 1-0 Victory over Vancouver - Orlando City SC
- 'Caps fall 1-0 in Orlando after late Nani goal - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Union notch third clean sheet of the season in a 3-0 victory - Philadelphia Union
- Chicago Fire Dominates the Colorado Rapids in 4-1 Win - Chicago Fire
- Impact Suffers 3-0 Loss in Philadelphia - Club de Foot Montreal
- Game Notes: Sounders FC at Los Angeles FC - April 21, 2019 - Seattle Sounders FC
- LAFC Hosts Seattle Sounders FC on Sunday Afternoon - Los Angeles FC
- Storylines | City vs. Vancouver Whitecaps - Orlando City SC
- Houston Dynamo Loan GK Michael Nelson to RGV FC for Las Vegas Lights FC Clash - Houston Dynamo
- Dynamo Fall to LA Galaxy 2-1 on Late Goal - Houston Dynamo
- LA Galaxy Postgame Notes: LA Galaxy 2, Houston Dynamo 1 - Friday, April 19, 2019 - LA Galaxy
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Atlanta United FC Stories
- Atlanta United unveils "The BLVCK" Kit for 2021 season
- Atlanta United Signs Midfielder Franco Ibarra
- Atlanta United to Unveil New Primary Kit in Advance of Fifth Season
- Fernando Meza Loaned out to Defensa y Justicia
- Round of 16 Schedule Announced for 2021 Scotiabank Concacaf Champions League