Dynamo Fall to LA Galaxy 2-1 on Late Goal
CARSON, CALIF. - The Houston Dynamo dropped their first game of the season tonight, falling 2-1 to the LA Galaxy at Dignity Health Sports Park.
The Galaxy struck first by virtue of a penalty kick goal from forward Zlatan Ibrahimovic. The Swedish international drew the penalty when he went down in the penalty area after contact with Dynamo defender A.J. DeLaGarza. Dynamo goalkeeper Joe Willis guessed correctly and got his left hand on Ibrahimovic's shot, but wasn't able to push it wide.
The Dynamo equalized in the 53rd minute, also through a penalty. Forward Alberth Elis won the spot kick after he was brought down at the edge of the penalty area by Galaxy defender JÃ¸rgen Skjelvik after a quick restart from DeLaGarza. Elis stepped up and coolly rolled his attempt inside the left post for his fourth goal of the season.
The Galaxy found the winner in the 85th minute off of a corner kick when defender Diego Polenta headed midfielder Jonathan dos Santos' corner just inside of the back post and just past a diving effort from Willis.
Houston pressed for a second goal throughout the final 10 minutes, starting with a brilliant individual effort from Elis in which he stripped his defender and put himself one-on-one with the goalkeeper, but his shot hit the side netting. Three minutes later, Elis played the role of creator, chipping a ball to forward Mauro Manotas behind the back line, but Manotas' low shot was saved by goalkeeper David Bingham.
A minute after Polenta's goal midfielder Memo Rodriguez, who came on in the 70th minute, nearly leveled things with an audacious chip from 60 yards, forcing Bingham to backtrack and leap to snag the shot.
The loss snaps Houston's five-game unbeaten run to start the year, but despite the result the Dynamo are still out to the best start to a season in club history with 13 points through six games.
The Dynamo return home to BBVA Compass Stadium on Saturday, April 27 to host Columbus Crew SC for the club's inaugural End Cancer Night, presented by The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center. Tickets for the match are on sale now, starting at $24, at HoustonDynamo.com or by phone at 713-276-4625 (GOAL).
LA Galaxy 2-1 Houston Dynamo
MLS Regular Season, Week 8
Friday - Dignity Health Sports Park - Carson, Calif.
Team 1H 2H FT
LA Galaxy 1 1 2
Houston Dynamo 0 1 1
LA: Zlatan Ibrahimovic 7 (penalty) 31
HOU: Alberth Elis 4 (penalty) 53
LA: Diego Polenta 1 (Jonathan dos Santos 1) 85
LA Galaxy: David Bingham; JÃ¸rgen Skjelvik, Diego Polenta, Daniel Steres, Julian Araujo; Joe Corona (Servando Carrasco 87), Jonathan dos Santos; Uriel Antuna, Sebastian Lletget, Romain Allessandrini (Emmanuel Boateng 16, Giancarlo González 90+1); Zlatan Ibrahimovic (C)
Substitutes not used: Matt Lampson, Emil Cuello, Juninho, Dave Romney
Total shots: 13 (Zlatan Ibrahimovic 6); Shots on goal: 5 (Emmanuel Boateng, Zlatan Ibrahimovic 2); Fouls: 13 (Diego Polenta, JÃ¸rgen Skjelvik 3); Offside: 4 (Zlatan Ibrahimovic 3); Corner kicks: 4 (Jonathan dos Santos 4); Saves: 2 (David Bingham 2)
Houston Dynamo: Joe Willis; Adam Lundkvist, Maynor Figueroa, AljaÅ¾ Struna, A.J. DeLaGarza; MatÃ-as Vera, Boniek GarcÃ-a (C) (Marlon Hairston 85), Tomás MartÃ-nez (Juan David Cabezas 79); Tommy McNamara (Memo Rodriguez 70), Mauro Manotas, Alberth Elis
Substitutes not used: Tyler Deric, Darwin Cerén, Alejandro Fuenmayor, Sam Junqua
Total shots: 13 (Mauro Manotas 5); Shots on goal: 3 (Mauro Manotas 2); Fouls: 10 (A.J. DeLaGarza 3); Offside: 1 (Alberth Elis 1); Corner kicks: 5 (Boniek GarcÃ-a 3); Saves: 3 (Joe Willis 3)
HOU: A.J. DeLaGarza (caution; foul) 29
HOU: MatÃ-as Vera (caution; foul) 47
HOU: Alberth Elis (caution; foul) 85
Referee: Jair Marrufo
Assistant Referee 1: Jeffrey Greeson
Assistant Referee 2: Chris Elliott
Fourth Official: Guido Gonzalez, Jr.
VAR: Alex Chilowicz
Weather: 59 degrees; Partly Cloudy
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from April 20, 2019
- Revolution Top New York Red Bulls, 1-0 - New England Revolution
- Red Bulls Fall in New England - New York Red Bulls
- FC Dallas Defeats Atlanta United FC 2-1 - FC Dallas
- Atlanta United Falls 2-1 against FC Dallas - Atlanta United FC
- Lions Earn 1-0 Victory over Vancouver - Orlando City SC
- 'Caps fall 1-0 in Orlando after late Nani goal - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Union notch third clean sheet of the season in a 3-0 victory - Philadelphia Union
- Chicago Fire Dominates the Colorado Rapids in 4-1 Win - Chicago Fire
- Impact Suffers 3-0 Loss in Philadelphia - Montreal Impact
- Game Notes: Sounders FC at Los Angeles FC - April 21, 2019 - Seattle Sounders FC
- LAFC Hosts Seattle Sounders FC on Sunday Afternoon - Los Angeles FC
- Storylines | City vs. Vancouver Whitecaps - Orlando City SC
- Houston Dynamo Loan GK Michael Nelson to RGV FC for Las Vegas Lights FC Clash - Houston Dynamo
- Dynamo Fall to LA Galaxy 2-1 on Late Goal - Houston Dynamo
- LA Galaxy Postgame Notes: LA Galaxy 2, Houston Dynamo 1 - Friday, April 19, 2019 - LA Galaxy
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Houston Dynamo Stories
- Dynamo Classic Rewind Series to Re-Broadcast Most Memorable Matches in Club History
- Major League Soccer and National Women's Soccer League Extend Training Moratoriums
- Kiki Struna Undergoes Successful Arthroscopic Surgery to Treat Left Knee
- BBVA Classic Between Houston Dynamo and Cruz Azul Postponed
- Houston Dynamo Issues Statement on Suspension of Major League Soccer Season