Atlanta United Falls 2-0 against Chicago Fire FC
CHICAGO - Atlanta United fell 2-0 to Chicago Fire FC at Soldier Field Sunday night. Atlanta poured in 20 crosses while forcing Chicago to make 14 clearances on the night, but ultimately could not find the back of the net.
Chicago got on the board early when Fabian Herbers scored in the 7th minute. After a turnover near midfield, GastÃ³n Giménez dribbled down the center of the field and found Herbers making a run on the right side. Herbers took one touch into the box before sending a low shot past a diving Brad Guzan.
Atlanta nearly equalized in the 19th minute. Jon Gallagher sent an early cross into the box from the right side which was slightly behind Adam Jahn. The 6-foot-3 forward turned his back to goal to receive the cross and took a touch on his right knee, sending the ball in the air. While holding off a defender, Jahn quickly struck the ball on a volley with his left foot, but Chicago goalkeeper Bobby Shuttleworth was able to make a diving save to his right which went out for a corner. On the ensuing corner kick Franco Escobar got off a clean header but missed inches wide of the right post.
Chicago doubled its lead in the 39th minute. Djordje Mihailovic found Robert BeriÄ unmarked at the top of the 18-yard box where he took a touch into the box and scored with a shot to the left side of the goal.
Guzan came up with a pair of crucial one-on-one saves early in the second half to preserve the score. BeriÄ was denied in the 50th minute from point-blank range after he was slipped in behind Atlanta's defense. Two minutes later Mihailovic was played into the box and found himself alone in front of goal, but Guzan again pushed the shot out for corner.
In the 56th minute, Brooks Lennon sent in a cross from the right side to the back post where Jake Mulraney was unmarked, but his one-time shot was lifted over the crossbar. Two minutes later Gallagher delivered a cross to the center of the box where Jahn put a diving header on frame, but again Shuttleworth was able to get a hand to it which then ricocheted of the post and was cleared away by the Fire defense.
Atlanta United (4-8-2, 14 points) returns to action Saturday, Oct. 3 at Audi Field against D.C. United (7:00 p.m., FOX Sports Southeast, Sports Radio 92-9 The Game, La Mejor).
Atlanta United 0, Chicago Fire 2
Shots: 15-9 Chicago
Shots on Target: 6-5 Chicago
Corner kicks: 4-3 Atlanta
Fouls committed: 14-9 Chicago
Clearances: 14-3 Chicago
Offside: 5-3 Chicago
Possession: 51-49 Atlanta
Passing Accuracy: 83-80 Chicago
CHI - Fabian Herbers 7' (GastÃ³n Giménez)
CHI - Robert BeriÄ 39' (Djordje Mihailovic)
ATL - Mo Adams 85' (yellow card)
ATLANTA UNITED STARTING LINEUP
Brad Guzan; George Bello, Fernando Meza, Franco Escobar, Brooks Lennon; Jeff Larentowicz © (Mo Adams - 73'), Eric Remedi, Emerson Hyndman; Jake Mulraney (Manuel Castro. - 82'), Adam Jahn (Tyler Wolff - 65'), Jon Gallagher.
Substitutes not used: Alec Kann, Edgar Castillo, Laurence Wyke, Anton Walkes, George Campbell.
CHICAGO FIRE STARTING LINEUP
Bobby Shuttleworth; Francisco Calvo ©, Jonathan Bornstein (Andre Reynolds - 90+1'), Mauricio Pineda, Boris Sekulic; Ignacio Aliseda (Miguel Ãngel Navarr - 80'), GastÃ³n Giménez. Fabian Herbers (Brandt Bronico - 90+1'), Ãlvaro MedrÃ¡n, Djordje Mihailovic (Elliot Collier - 79'); Robert BeriÄ (C.J. Sapong - 67').
Substitutes not used: Micheal Azira, Gabriel Slonina, Brian Gutierrez, Wyatt Omsberg.
Kevin Stott, (referee), Eric Weisbrod, (assistant), Benjamin Hall-Volpenhein, (assistant), Lukasz Szpala, (fourth), Chico Grajeda (VAR).
Jeff Larentowicz made his 431st MLS Regular Season appearance, second all-time by a field player in MLS history behind Kyle Beckerman (493).
Larentowicz also started his 392nd MLS Regular Season match, third all-time by a field player behind Kyle Beckerman (459) and Chad Marshall (404).
Brooks Lennon made his 100th MLS appearance, 86 of which came with Real Salt Lake.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from September 27, 2020
- Chicago Fire FC Defeat Atlanta United FC 2-0 at Soldier Field, Move into Playoff Position - Chicago Fire
- MNUFC Draw RSL at Home - Minnesota United FC
- FC Dallas and Orlando City SC Draw 0-0 at Toyota Stadium - FC Dallas
- Lions Extend Unbeaten Run to Eight Matches, Earn Scoreless Draw at FC Dallas - Orlando City SC
- Union take second place in Eastern Conference - Philadelphia Union
- Real Salt Lake Shuts out Minnesota in Scoreless Draw - Real Salt Lake
- Toronto FC (3) - Columbus Crew SC (1) Post Match Summary - Toronto FC
- Red Bulls Snap Three-Match Home Losing Streak, Defeat Montreal, 4-1 - New York Red Bulls
- D.C. United Lose 2-0 to New England Revolution at Audi Field - D.C. United
- Atlanta United Falls 2-0 against Chicago Fire FC - Atlanta United FC
- Inter Miami CF Falls to Philadelphia Union on the Road - Inter Miami CF
- Revolution Defeat D.C. United, 2-0 - New England Revolution
- Montreal Impact Fall to New York Red Bulls - Montreal Impact
- Timbers to Face Vancouver Whitecaps FC Tonight at Providence Park - Portland Timbers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.