Union take second place in Eastern Conference
CHESTER, Pa. - The Philadelphia Union beat Inter Miami CF 3-0 at home on a rainy Sunday night at Subaru Park. With the win the Union reclaim second place in the Eastern Conference with 28 points. Anthony Fontana scored his fourth goal of the season to put the Union in front in the first half. Ilsinho scored his first goal of the season just eight minutes after coming on. Kacper Przybylko assisted on two goals bringing him to four assists on the season. Brenden Aaronson finished the 3 points for the Union when he scored his fourth goal at 90+6'. The Union are away at Rentschler Field on October 3rd where they will face Toronto FC (7:30 p.m. ET / PHL17).
Philadelphia Union 3 - Inter Miami CF 0
Subaru Park (Chester, PA)
Sunday, September 27, 2020
TODAY'S MATCH INFO
Referee: Elton Garcia
Assistant Referees: Corey Parker, Logan Brown
Fourth Official: Robert Sibiga
VAR: Jose Carlos Rivero
Weather: 73 degrees and rain
PHI - Anthony Fontana (Przybylko) 25'
PHI - Ilsinho (Przybylko, Monteiro) 69'
PHI - Brenden Aaronson (unassisted) 90+6'
MIA - Andrés Reyes (caution) 5'
PHI - Sergio Santos (caution) 46'
Philadelphia Union: Andre Blake; Olivier Mbaizo, Jakob Glesnes, Mark McKenzie, Kai Wagner (Matt Real 87'); Brenden Aaronson, Jose Martinez, Jamiro Monteiro, Anthony Fontana (Ilsinho 61'); Kacper Przybylko, Sergio Santos (Andrew Wooten 78')
Substitutes not used: Joe Bendik; Aurelien Collin, Matej Oravec, Michee Ngalina, Jack de Vries
Inter Miami CF: Luis Robles, Leandro GonzÃ¡lez Pirez, Jorge Figal, Ben Sweat, Andrés Reyes (Dylan Nealis 68'); Blaise Matuidi, Victor Ulloa (Wil Trapp 81'), Rodolfo Pizarro, Lewis Morgan; Gonzalo HiguaÃn, Juan Agudelo (Robbie Robinson HT')
Substitutes not used: A.J. DeLaGarza, Jay Chapman, John McCarthy, Mikey Ambrose, JuliÃ¡n Carranza, MatÃas Pellegrini
With the win the Union are back in second place in the Eastern Conference with 28 points...the club has now won all four home matches of 2020 scoring 10 goals and conceding only two in that time...the team is unbeaten in...the Union have lost only two of their 13 regular-season games, one being their first match of the season at Dallas.
Homegrown midfielder Anthony Fontana earned his second career start for the club and scored his fourth goal of the season...he has now scored in his last three games that he has played in.
Brenden Aaronson also scored his fourth goal of the season, scoring in extra time...his four goals and three assists thus far are career highs for the midfielder.
Kacper Przybylko's two assist performance marks the third time this season a Union player registered two assists in a match. He joins Matt Real and Mark McKenzie who each had two assists in the club's win against Montreal on September 20.
Kai Wagner returned to the Starting XI tonight for his sixth start of 2020. Wagner last start came against D.C. United back on August 29th.
Jamiro Monteiro made his 40th career appearance for the club.
Olivier Mbaizo and Jakob Glesnes made their 10th career starts for the Boys in Blue.
The Union next play away at Rentschler Field on October 3 where they will face Toronto FC (7:30 p.m. ET / PHL17).
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from September 27, 2020
- Chicago Fire FC Defeat Atlanta United FC 2-0 at Soldier Field, Move into Playoff Position - Chicago Fire
- MNUFC Draw RSL at Home - Minnesota United FC
- FC Dallas and Orlando City SC Draw 0-0 at Toyota Stadium - FC Dallas
- Lions Extend Unbeaten Run to Eight Matches, Earn Scoreless Draw at FC Dallas - Orlando City SC
- Union take second place in Eastern Conference - Philadelphia Union
- Real Salt Lake Shuts out Minnesota in Scoreless Draw - Real Salt Lake
- Toronto FC (3) - Columbus Crew SC (1) Post Match Summary - Toronto FC
- Red Bulls Snap Three-Match Home Losing Streak, Defeat Montreal, 4-1 - New York Red Bulls
- D.C. United Lose 2-0 to New England Revolution at Audi Field - D.C. United
- Atlanta United Falls 2-0 against Chicago Fire FC - Atlanta United FC
- Inter Miami CF Falls to Philadelphia Union on the Road - Inter Miami CF
- Revolution Defeat D.C. United, 2-0 - New England Revolution
- Montreal Impact Fall to New York Red Bulls - Montreal Impact
- Timbers to Face Vancouver Whitecaps FC Tonight at Providence Park - Portland Timbers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Philadelphia Union Stories
- Esports Entertainment Group and Philadelphia Union Announce Official Esports Tournament Provider
- Cory Burke scores game winner: Union remain first place in Eastern Conference
- Philadelphia Union Forward Sergio Santos Voted MLS Player of the Week
- Union claim first place in Eastern Conference; Sergio Santos nets hat-trick
- Philadelphia Union and Southern New Hampshire University Host Third Annual Rompe Las Barreras Job Shadow Program