Atlanta United Falls 1-0 to New York Red Bulls
ATLANTA, GA (Oct. 10, 2020) - Atlanta United fell 1-0 to New York Red Bulls Saturday night at Mercedes-Benz Stadium. Marcelino Moreno started in his MLS debut and played 61 minutes before being substituted by Adam Jahn.
Atlanta controlled 61% of possession in the first half, out-shooting New York five to one, however was unable to capitalize on its chances created. The team's best opportunity of the first half came after a corner kick in the 39th minute. A long corner kick found its way to Brooks Lennon, who played the ball to Jake Mulraney at the top of the 18-yard box. Mulraney's low shot was deflected by Daniel Royer and off the crossbar to keep the match scoreless heading into halftime.
New York scored the game's only goal the 47th minute. A Sean Davis corner kick was headed away by Jeff Larentowicz but fell directly to Caden Clark at the top of the 18-yard box and the 17-year-old hit a right-footed volley into the lower-right corner of the goal.
Atlanta continued to try to find an equalizer into stoppage time, however a strike from Jon Gallagher was deflected wide of the goal by goalkeeper Ryan Meara.
Atlanta United (5-9-3, 18 points) returns to action Wednesday, Oct. 14 at Inter Miami CF (8:00 p.m., FOX Sports Southeast, Sports Radio 92-9 The Game, La Mejor).
Atlanta United 0, New York Red Bulls 1
Shots: 8-5 Atlanta
Shots on Target: 2-1 New York
Corner kicks: 7-1 Atlanta
Fouls committed: 13-12 New York
Clearances: 19-8 New York
Possession: 80-75 Atlanta
NYRB - Caden Clark 47'
NYRB - Sean Davis 52' (yellow)
ATL - Jake Mulraney 66' (yellow)
NYRB- Tim Parker 90+4' (yellow)
ATL - Emerson Hyndman 90+5' (yellow)
ATLANTA UNITED STARTING LINEUP
Brad Guzan; George Bello, Anton Walkes, Franco Escobar, Brooks Lennon; Jeff Larentowicz © (Manuel Castro 84'), Emerson Hyndman, Marcelino Moreno (Adam Jahn 61'); Jake Mulraney (Laurence Wyke 70'), Jon Gallagher, Jurgen Damm (Mo Adams 70')
Substitutes not used: Alec Kann, Eric Remedi, Fernando Meza, Tyler Wolff, George Campbell
NEW YORK RED BULLS STARTING LINEUP
Ryan Meara; Amro Tarek, Kyle Duncan, Jason Pendant, Tim Parker; Sean Davis (Dru Yearwood 77'), Caden Christopher Clark (Jared Stroud 66'), Daniel Royer, Marc Rzatkowski (Sean Nealis 83'), Samuel Tetteh (Florian Valot 67'), Tom Barlow (Brian White 83')
Substitutes not used: David Jensen, Mathias Jorgensen, Mandela Egbo, Christopher Lema
Jair Marrufo, (referee), Brian Poeschel (assistant), Ian McKay (assistant), Sergii Demianchuk (fourth), Alan Kelly (VAR).
Marcelino Moreno made his Atlanta United debut.
Jeff Larentowicz made his 433rd MLS Regular Season appearance, second all-time by a field player in MLS history behind Kyle Beckerman (493).
Larentowicz also started his 394th MLS Regular Season match, third all-time by a field player behind Kyle Beckerman (459) and Chad Marshall (404).
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from October 10, 2020
- Atlanta United Falls 1-0 to New York Red Bulls - Atlanta United FC
- Inter Miami CF Defeats Houston Dynamo 1-0 - Inter Miami CF
- Red Bulls Blank Atlanta United Again, 1-0, in 2020 - New York Red Bulls
- Dynamo Fall to Inter Miami CF 1-0 - Houston Dynamo
- Columbus Crew SC Road Match at Orlando City SC Postponed to Later Date - Columbus Crew SC
- FC Dallas' Match vs Minnesota United FC Postponed - FC Dallas
- MLS Postpones Sunday's City Match Due to Positive COVID-19 Cases in Columbus - Orlando City SC
- Minnesota United Confirms Positive COVID-19 Cases; Sunday's Match at FC Dallas Postponed - Minnesota United FC
- Major League Soccer Postpones Two Matches - MLS
- What to Watch for as Nashville SC Visits Sporting KC on Sunday Night - Nashville SC
- LAFC Faces Seattle Sounders FC Tomorrow at Banc of California Stadium - Los Angeles FC
- Match Preview: Columbus Crew SC Travels to Face Orlando City SC Tomorrow - Columbus Crew SC
- D.C. United Acquire $50,000 in GAM from Inter Miami CF for Federico Higuain - D.C. United
- Inter Miami CF Acquires Veteran Midfielder Federico HiguaÃÂn - Inter Miami CF
- Orlando City SC Statement on Confirmed Positive COVID-19 Test Result - Orlando City SC
- New York Red Bulls Sign 17-Year-Old Caden Clark to MLS Contract - New York Red Bulls
- Minnesota United Acquires $75,000 in General Allocation Money from New York Red Bulls - Minnesota United FC
- Storylines: City and Columbus Race for the Shield - Orlando City SC
- Pareja, Lions Prepare for Major Test from Columbus Crew - Orlando City SC
- Orlando City Returns Home to Face Columbus Crew SC - Orlando City SC
- Game Preview: New England Revolution at New York City FC - New England Revolution
- Minnesota United FC vs. FC Dallas Preview - Minnesota United FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Atlanta United FC Stories
- Atlanta United Announce Year-End Roster Moves
- Atlanta United Announces Provisional Roster for Scotiabank Concacaf Champions League
- Two Atlanta United Players Undergo Successful Post-Season Surgery
- MLS Unveils 2020 Best-Selling Jerseys; Josef Martinez Only Player to Rank Top-Three in Each of the Past Four Seasons
- Atlanta United Drops Regular Season Finale to Columbus Crew SC