Atlanta United Defeats Toronto FC 2-0
TORONTO - Atlanta United defeated Toronto FC 2-0 Saturday night at BMO Field. Luiz Araújo scored his second goal of the season in first-half stoppage time and Marcelino Moreno added his eighth goal of the season in second-half stoppage time to move Atlanta above the playoff line and into fifth place in the Eastern Conference standings.
After an evenly played opening 20 minutes, Atlanta's pressure forced a dangerous sequence that resulted in a free kick from after Ifunanyachi Achara was shown a yellow card in the 24th minute. On the ensuing kick, Atlanta registered the first shot on target in the match, as Ezequiel Barco forced a diving save from Alex Bono. Seconds later, Santiago Sosa ripped a right-footed shot that Bono parried away to the corner. Brooks Lennon recovered and sent a cross into the box that ultimately found George Bello, who then sent a left-footed shoot that caromed off a Toronto defender straight into the crossbar.
Just before halftime, Atlanta found the opening goal, with Araújo finishing off a cross from Bello. The play started near midfield with Bello combining with Barco and Marcelino Moreno as Atlanta worked down the left wing. Bello then received a pass in the box, near the end line, and crossed back for Araújo, who was able to get one by Bono.
Atlanta continued to apply pressure early in the second half. Moreno had a good opportunity in the 50th minute after Araújo laid off a pass from a Bello cross but his attempt was wide. Atlanta then forced a turnover on the ensuing goal kick and Araújo nearly scored again, but his attempt was cleared near the goal line by a Toronto defender. Atlanta continued the pressure, with Moreno forcing a diving save from Bono in the 55th minute.
Referee Tim Ford sent off both Toronto's Auro Jr. and Barco in the 83rd and 84th minutes, forcing both teams to play the remainder of the match with 10 men.
Brad Guzan made a crucial diving save in stoppage time to deny a powerful header from Omar Gonzalez from close range to keep it 1-0.
Moreno sealed the match with Atlanta's second goal in the seventh minute of second-half stoppage time. Alan Franco won the ball in the defensive half and played the ball forward into space for Moreno in transition, who collected it and ran at Kemar Lawrence across the top of the 18-yard box before striking a right-footed shot as he was falling down past Bono and into the far corner of the goal.
Atlanta (11-9-9, 42 points) returns to action on Wednesday, Oct. 20 when it hosts NYCFC at Mercedes-Benz Stadium (7:30 p.m., Bally Sports South, Sports Radio 92-9 The Game, La Mejor).
Atlanta United 2, Toronto FC 0
Shots: 17-16 Atlanta
Shots on Target: 9-4 Atlanta
Corner kicks: 4-0 Toronto
Fouls committed: 17-13 Toronto
Offside: 2-0 Toronto
Possession: 54-46 Atlanta
Passing Accuracy: 87-87
ATL - Luiz Araújo (George Bello, Ezequiel Barco) [HIGHLIGHT] 45+2'
ATL - Marcelino Moreno (Alan Franco) HIGHLIGHT 90+7'
ATL - Matheus Rossetto (yellow) 16'
TOR - Ifunanyachi Achara (yellow) 24'
TOR - Auro (red) 83'
ATL - Ezequiel Barco (red) 84'
TOR - Marky Delgado (yellow) 90+2'
ATL - Anton Walkes (yellow) 90+8'
ATLANTA UNITED STARTING LINEUP
Brad Guzan (C); Anton Walkes, Alan Franco, Miles Robinson; George Bello, Santiago Sosa, Matheus Rossetto (Amar Sejdić - 90+3'), Brooks Lennon; Marcelino Moreno (Erick "Cubo" Torres - 90+8'), Ezequiel Barco, Luiz Araújo (Franco Ibarra - 77').
Substitutes not used: Alec Kann, George Campbell, Amar Sejdić, Erik López, Jürgen Damm, Jake Mulraney, Machop Chol
TORONTO FC STARTING LINEUP
Alex Bono; Omar Gonzalez, Kemar Lawrence, Auro Jr.; Michael Bradley ©, Marky Delgado, Jonathan Osorio, Richie Laryea, Jacob Shaffelburg (Jozy Altidore - 61'); Yeferson Soltedo, Ifunanyachi Achara (Jahkeele Marshall-Rutty - 31' (Alejandro Pozuelo - 61')).
Substitutes not used: Quentin Westberg, Justin Morrow, Eriq Zavaleta, Nick DeLeon, Noble Okello, Patrick Mullins.
Tim Ford (referee), Logan Brown (assistant), Brian Dunn (assistant), Fabrizio Stasolla (fourth), Drew Fischer (VAR), Chantal Boudreau (AVAR).
Luiz Araújo scored his second goal with the club. He now has two and two assists in 10 games since joining the club on August 6.
Ezequiel Barco picked up his seventh assist of the season and 16th of his MLS career.
George Bello picked up his third assist of the season.
Marcelino Moreno scored his eighth goal of the season.
Atlanta secured its first win at BMO Field.
Franco Ibarra came on as a substitute in the 77th minute. He's now appeared in back-to-back matches since missing three months with an injury.
Miles Robinson had a game-high seven clearances.ing:
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from October 16, 2021
- D.C. United Draw 0-0 against Nashville SC at Audi Field - D.C. United
- Nashville SC Draws in the District and Remains Second in Eastern ConferenceÃÂ - Nashville SC
- Atlanta United Defeats Toronto FC 2-0 - Atlanta United FC
- Toronto FC (0) - Atlanta United (2) Post Game Summary - Toronto FC
- Revolution Draw Chicago Fire FC, 2-2 - New England Revolution
- Júnior Urso Nets Game-Winner in Lions' 1-0 Victory at FC Cincinnati - Orlando City SC
- Chicago Fire FC Battles New England Revolution to 2-2 Draw at Gillette Stadium - Chicago Fire FC
- Inter Miami CF Falls 4-0 to Columbus Crew - Inter Miami CF
- LAFC Defeat San Jose Earthquakes 3-1 - Los Angeles FC
- Earthquakes Fall to LAFC 3-1 - San Jose Earthquakes
- Late Score Lifts CF Montréal to Draw with Philadelphia in the Rain - Club de Foot Montreal
- Kai Wagner scores third goal of the season; Union remain unbeaten in their last six matches - Philadelphia Union
- Sounders FC Faces Houston Dynamo in Road Matchup at PNC Stadium - Seattle Sounders FC
- Earthquakes Face LAFC Today - San Jose Earthquakes
- New England Revolution Playoff Ticket Packages Now on Sale - New England Revolution
- Houston Dynamo FC Return to League Play at PNC Stadium - Houston Dynamo FC
- Red Bulls Welcome NYCFC to Red Bull Arena for Final New York Derby of 2021 Regular Season - New York Red Bulls
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Atlanta United FC Stories
- Miles Robinson Named to 2021 MLS Best XI
- Atlanta United Announces Year-End Roster Moves
- Santiago Sosa Undergoes Successful Sports Hernia Surgery
- Atlanta United Falls 2-0 at New York City FC in Round One of Audi 2021 MLS Cup Playoffs
- Match Preview: Atlanta United vs. New York City FC