Júnior Urso Nets Game-Winner in Lions' 1-0 Victory at FC Cincinnati
CINCINNATI, Ohio. - Orlando City SC (12-8-9, 45 points) took a 1-0 victory over FC Cincinnati (4-17-8, 20 points) on Saturday night at TQL Stadium, setting a new single-season Club record with the side's eighth shutout in the 2021 MLS regular-season campaign.
Júnior Urso scored the eventual game-winner for the Lions in the 13th minute of play, good for his fourth goal of the season and his eighth in his MLS tenure across all competitions. With the clean sheet, Pedro Gallese tallied his sixth shutout of the year, having to make three saves in the match to keep the Orange and Blue scoreless on the night.
The Lions face a quick turnaround, set to host CF Montréal on Wednesday, Oct. 20 in the first match of a two-game home stint at Exploria Stadium. Tickets are available here or by calling (855) ORL-CITY.
Head Coach Oscar Pareja:
"A great result for us. We needed it, the boys came convinced about getting those three points. I think the effort on the field was great, they showed their character throughout the whole game in what was a very difficult game against a rival who didn't have anything to lose. We're very happy for these three points that were necessary at this stage."
13' Júnior Urso (Ruan) - ORL 1, CIN 0
The Lions took the lead with Júnior Urso feeding Ruan down the right sideline, who drove it in the box before laying it back off to the Bear outside the area. Urso hit it first time, his shot beating Cincinnati goalkeeper Przemyslaw Tyton at the near post for the finish.
The Lions set a single-season Club record on the night with their eighth shutout of the season, besting the previous mark of seven set in the 2015, 2017 and 2019 campaigns, respectively.
Júnior Urso scored his fourth goal of the season in the match, now with eight in MLS.
Pedro Gallese earned his sixth clean sheet of the 2021 season with the shutout on the night.
With the victory, the Lions remain unbeaten against FC Cincinnati throughout their history, now with a 3-0-2 record in five matches played with Saturday night serving as the first win for the side in the Queen City.
Ruan tallied his second assist of the year on Urso's first half finish.
Uri Rosell returned to the pitch for the first time since Sept. 10 at Atlanta, entering the match in the 83rd minute for Andrés Perea.
Daryl Dike tallied his 30th MLS regular season appearance with the start on the night.
Head Coach Oscar Pareja made three changes to his starting lineup entering the match with Emmanuel Mas, Andrés Perea and Chris Mueller all reentering the fold for the Lions.
Next Match: The Lions face a quick turnaround, beginning a two-game home stint on Wednesday, Oct. 20 against CF Montréal at Exploria Stadium. Kickoff is set for 7:30 p.m. ET
Teams 1 2 F
FC Cincinnati 0 0 0
Orlando City SC 1 0 1
ORL - Júnior Urso (Ruan) 13'
ORL - Antonio Carlos (Yellow Card) 66'
ORL - Andrés Perea (Yellow Card) 74'
CIN - Zico Bailey (Yellow Card) 80'
CIN - Geoff Cameron (Yellow Card) 86'
Orlando City SC - GK Pedro Gallese; D Emmanuel Mas, Robin Jansson, Antonio Carlos, Ruan; M Mauricio Pereyra (Rodrigo Schlegel 90'), Andrés Perea (Uri Rosell 83'), Júnior Urso, Chris Mueller (Benji Michel 71'); F Nani © (Silvester van der Water 83'), Daryl Dike (Tesho Akindele 71')
Substitutes Not Used: GK Mason Stajduhar; D Kyle Smith; M Sebastián Méndez; F Alexandre Pato
FC Cincinnati - GK Przemyslaw Tyton; D Tyler Blackett, Nick Hagglund, Geoff Cameron, Zico Bailey (Joe Gyau 81'); M Kamohelo Mokotjo (Calvin Harris 81'), Haris Medunjanin (Kyle Scott 76'), Álvaro Barreal (Brandon Vázquez 87'), Luciano Acosta ©, Isaac Atanga (Allan Cruz 46'); F Brenner
Substitutes Not Used: GK Kenneth Vermeer; D Chris Duvall; M Caleb Stanko; F Quimi Ordonez
Details of the Game:
Time: 7:30 p.m. ET
Date: Oct. 16, 2021
CIN - 52.4%
ORL - 47.6%
CIN - 9
ORL - 18
CIN - 4
ORL - 3
CIN - 14
ORL - 14
CIN - 4
ORL - 6
Heineken Man of the Match: Júnior Urso
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from October 16, 2021
- D.C. United Draw 0-0 against Nashville SC at Audi Field - D.C. United
- Nashville SC Draws in the District and Remains Second in Eastern ConferenceÃÂ - Nashville SC
- Atlanta United Defeats Toronto FC 2-0 - Atlanta United FC
- Toronto FC (0) - Atlanta United (2) Post Game Summary - Toronto FC
- Revolution Draw Chicago Fire FC, 2-2 - New England Revolution
- Júnior Urso Nets Game-Winner in Lions' 1-0 Victory at FC Cincinnati - Orlando City SC
- Chicago Fire FC Battles New England Revolution to 2-2 Draw at Gillette Stadium - Chicago Fire FC
- Inter Miami CF Falls 4-0 to Columbus Crew - Inter Miami CF
- LAFC Defeat San Jose Earthquakes 3-1 - Los Angeles FC
- Earthquakes Fall to LAFC 3-1 - San Jose Earthquakes
- Late Score Lifts CF Montréal to Draw with Philadelphia in the Rain - Club de Foot Montreal
- Kai Wagner scores third goal of the season; Union remain unbeaten in their last six matches - Philadelphia Union
- Sounders FC Faces Houston Dynamo in Road Matchup at PNC Stadium - Seattle Sounders FC
- Earthquakes Face LAFC Today - San Jose Earthquakes
- New England Revolution Playoff Ticket Packages Now on Sale - New England Revolution
- Houston Dynamo FC Return to League Play at PNC Stadium - Houston Dynamo FC
- Red Bulls Welcome NYCFC to Red Bull Arena for Final New York Derby of 2021 Regular Season - New York Red Bulls
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Orlando City SC Stories
- Orlando City Exercises Contract Options on 11 Players Following 2021 MLS Season
- Orlando City SC Declines to Exercise Option on Forward Nani
- City Falls to Nashville SC in Round One of Audi 2021 MLS Cup Playoffs
- Orlando City Opens Audi 2021 MLS Cup Playoffs at Nashville SC
- Orlando City to Host CF Montréal in 2022 Home Opener on February 27, Presented by Orlando Health