Atlanta United Acquires More Than $1 Million in Allocation Money, International Roster Spot from Columbus
ATLANTA - Atlanta United announced today it has acquired up to $1.425 million in allocation money and a 2020 international roster spot from Columbus Crew SC in exchange for midfielder Darlington Nagbe.
"Darlington was a vital part of our success over the last two seasons, and we want to thank him for his service to the club and wish him the best of luck in his future," said Atlanta United Vice President and Technical Director Carlos Bocanegra. "As with any offseason, there are difficult decisions to be made. Ultimately, this trade serves the best interests of our club long-term."
Atlanta will receive $1.05 million in guaranteed allocation money, with $900,000 in Targeted Allocation Money (TAM) and $150,000 in General Allocation Money (GAM). Atlanta can receive up to $375,000 in additional allocation money via performance-based incentives.
Nagbe, 29, was acquired from Portland Timbers on Dec. 13, 2017 in exchange for $1.05 million in allocation money and a 2018 international roster spot. In two years with the club, Nagbe appeared in 56 league games and scored two goals with seven assists. Born in Monrovia, Liberia, Nagbe permanently moved to the United States when he was 11 years old. He joined Atlanta after spending his entire professional career with Portland Timbers, where he was selected with the No. 2 overall pick in the 2011 MLS SuperDraft.
The league's 55-hour trade window will close on Wednesday, Nov. 13 at 8:00 p.m. The MLS offseason will then continue with the 2019 MLS Expansion Draft on Tuesday, Nov. 19, as Inter Miami CF and Nashville SC will each select five players. The following week, the End-of-Year Waiver process will take place on Monday, Nov. 25, in addition to free agency officially opening at 3:00 p.m. Finally, the MLS Re-Entry process will begin on Tuesday, Nov. 26 (Stage 1) and conclude on Tuesday, Dec. 3 (Stage 2).
TRANSACTION: Atlanta United acquires up to $1.425 million in allocation money in exchange for Darlington Nagbe.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from November 13, 2019
- Houston Dynamo Acquire Darwin Quintero, Draft Pick from Minnesota United FC - Houston Dynamo
- MNUFC Receives $600,000 in Allocation Money and Marlon Hairston in Trade with Houston Dynamo - Minnesota United FC
- LA Galaxy Agree to Mutually Part Ways with Zlatan Ibrahimovic - LA Galaxy
- Eleven Sounders FC Players Called into International Duty - Seattle Sounders FC
- Toronto FC Acquires Allocation Money from Inter Miami Cf - Toronto FC
- Atlanta United Acquires More Than $1 Million in Allocation Money, International Roster Spot from Columbus - Atlanta United FC
- Columbus Crew SC Acquires Darlington Nagbe in Trade with Atlanta United - Columbus Crew SC
- Chicago Fire Part Ways with Head Coach Veljko Paunovic - Chicago Fire
- D.C. United Announce Traveling Roster for Upcoming Friendly against the Bermuda National Team Presented by Events DC - D.C. United
- Joe Scally Joins Borussia Monchengladbach from New York City FC - New York City FC
- LA Galaxy to Face Inter Miami CF in South Florida on Saturday, March 14, 2020 - LA Galaxy
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Atlanta United FC Stories
- Atlanta United Joins Major League Soccer's Ã¢ÂÂMLS Unites' Campaign
- Atlanta United Statement on Training Moratoriums
- The Arthur M. Blank Family Foundation Announces Nearly $5.4 Million in Funding for COVID-19 Relief Efforts
- Josef Martinez Undergoes Successful Knee Surgery
- Atlanta United Falls 3-0 to Club America in Leg One