MNUFC Receives $600,000 in Allocation Money and Marlon Hairston in Trade with Houston Dynamo
GOLDEN VALLEY, Minn. - Minnesota United announced today the club has traded Colombian midfielder Darwin Quintero and a third round 2020 MLS SuperDraft pick to the Houston Dynamo for midfielder Marlon Hairston and $600,000 in Allocation Money -$150,000 in General Allocation Money and $150,000 in Targeted Allocation Money in 2020 and $150,000 in GAM and $150,000 in TAM in 2021.
"First off, we want to thank Darwin for everything he has given this club," said MNUFC Technical Director Mark Watson. "He has been an important piece in the growth of our organization and has given our fans a lot to cheer for over the years. We wish him nothing but the best in Houston.
"This is a great deal for our club and this trade puts us in a position with a lot roster flexibility and the opportunity to bring in key influential players in the attack. In addition to this roster flexibility, we have added an experienced young player who can play different positions all over the field. Marlon Hairston is a versatile and athletic MLS veteran who will join an already deep roster and will make an immediate impact in our club."
Hairston, 25, joins the Loons after one season with Houston Dynamo where he appeared in 12 games. The multi-faceted winger began his MLS career with the Colorado Rapids, where he was selected with the 12th overall pick in the 2014 MLS SuperDraft. In his rookie season, Hairston made 22 appearances with one goal and one assist. In his five seasons in Colorado, Hairston played 95 games, with seven goals and 11 assists. 2016 was Hairston's breakout year with Colorado, with the midfielder scoring three goals with a career-high six assists. Additionally, Hairston made four MLS Playoff game appearances and was named Rapids Young Player of the Year.
Internationally, Hairston has played at several levels for the U.S. Men's National Team. His first international call-up came for a U20 training camp in April of 2013. Since then, Hairston made appearances for the U20 National Team at the 2013 Toulon Tournament, played for the U21 and U23 teams in 2014 and earned his first senior national team call-up in January of 2018.
Quintero was acquired in March of 2018 as the club's first Designated Player in club history. Immediately, he made an impact, scoring his first MLS goal in his MLS debut at Portland on April 14, 2018. He scored the club's first hat-trick at home on July 4 against Toronto, was named MLS Player of the Month in July of 2018, was named a 2018 MLS All-Star and won the 2019 Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup Golden Boot, scoring six goals throughout the tournament. Over two seasons with Minnesota United, Quintero played 57 games, across 4,604 minutes, scoring 21 goals with 20 assists.
Transaction: Minnesota United trade midfielder Darwin Quintero and a third round 2020 MLS SuperDraft pick to the Houston Dynamo for midfielder Marlon Hairston and $150,000 in General Allocation Money and $150,000 in Targeted Allocation Money in 2020 and $150,000 in GAM and $150,000 in TAM in 2021.
Date of birth: 03.23.1994 (25)
Hometown: Jackson, MS
Place of birth: Jackson, MS
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from November 13, 2019
- Houston Dynamo Acquire Darwin Quintero, Draft Pick from Minnesota United FC - Houston Dynamo
- MNUFC Receives $600,000 in Allocation Money and Marlon Hairston in Trade with Houston Dynamo - Minnesota United FC
- LA Galaxy Agree to Mutually Part Ways with Zlatan Ibrahimovic - LA Galaxy
- Eleven Sounders FC Players Called into International Duty - Seattle Sounders FC
- Toronto FC Acquires Allocation Money from Inter Miami Cf - Toronto FC
- Atlanta United Acquires More Than $1 Million in Allocation Money, International Roster Spot from Columbus - Atlanta United FC
- Columbus Crew SC Acquires Darlington Nagbe in Trade with Atlanta United - Columbus Crew SC
- Chicago Fire Part Ways with Head Coach Veljko Paunovic - Chicago Fire
- D.C. United Announce Traveling Roster for Upcoming Friendly against the Bermuda National Team Presented by Events DC - D.C. United
- Joe Scally Joins Borussia Monchengladbach from New York City FC - New York City FC
- LA Galaxy to Face Inter Miami CF in South Florida on Saturday, March 14, 2020 - LA Galaxy
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Minnesota United FC Stories
- MNUFC Signs Fred Emmings as First Homegrown Player
- MNUFC Acquires Midfielder Jacori Hayes in Trade with FC Dallas
- Minnesota United Hires Assistant Coach Sean McAuley
- Minnesota United Signs New Contract for Head Coach Adrian Heath
- MNUFC Signs Midfielder James Musa