Chicago Fire Part Ways with Head Coach Veljko Paunovic
CHICAGO - The Chicago Fire have parted ways with Head Coach Veljko PaunoviÄ, the Club announced today. A search will begin for the Club's next head coach.
"Four years ago, Pauno and the staff accepted a challenge to help establish a football culture at the Fire," said Chicago Fire President and General Manager Nelson RodrÃguez. "Their efforts helped revitalize the Club with a competitive spirit and a dedication to always putting football first. Pauno and his staff were relentless in their devotion to the Club and for that we are immeasurably thankful."
PaunoviÄ's staff have also had their respective services discontinued. This includes Assistant Coaches Marko MitroviÄ and Eric Gehrig, Goalkeeper Coach Aleksandar SariÄ, Head Strength and Conditioning Coach Raphael Fevre, Director of Performance Petar MilÄanoviÄ, Video Analyst Nenad BabiÄ, Equipment Manager Brian Sauer, Assistant Equipment Manager Juan Arreola, Head Athletic Trainer Reade Whitney, Assistant Athletic Trainer Hillary Bell and Massage Therapist Steven Burrows. These staff members will have the opportunity to be retained by the next head coach or for other roles within the Club.
Eddie Rock, Senior Director of Soccer Operations, and Alex Boler, Senior Manager of Team Operations, will remain in their roles.
PaunoviÄ, the eighth full-time head coach in team history, guided the Club to the third-best overall record (16-11-7) in MLS in 2017, securing the Men in Red's first appearance in the MLS Cup Playoffs since 2012. He was also named head coach of the 2017 MLS All-Star Team, which featured four players from the Fire's roster, in the side's match against Real Madrid at Soldier Field. PaunoviÄ also guided the Fire to the semifinals of the Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup in 2016 and 2018.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from November 13, 2019
- Houston Dynamo Acquire Darwin Quintero, Draft Pick from Minnesota United FC - Houston Dynamo
- MNUFC Receives $600,000 in Allocation Money and Marlon Hairston in Trade with Houston Dynamo - Minnesota United FC
- LA Galaxy Agree to Mutually Part Ways with Zlatan Ibrahimovic - LA Galaxy
- Eleven Sounders FC Players Called into International Duty - Seattle Sounders FC
- Toronto FC Acquires Allocation Money from Inter Miami Cf - Toronto FC
- Atlanta United Acquires More Than $1 Million in Allocation Money, International Roster Spot from Columbus - Atlanta United FC
- Columbus Crew SC Acquires Darlington Nagbe in Trade with Atlanta United - Columbus Crew SC
- Chicago Fire Part Ways with Head Coach Veljko Paunovic - Chicago Fire
- D.C. United Announce Traveling Roster for Upcoming Friendly against the Bermuda National Team Presented by Events DC - D.C. United
- Joe Scally Joins Borussia Monchengladbach from New York City FC - New York City FC
- LA Galaxy to Face Inter Miami CF in South Florida on Saturday, March 14, 2020 - LA Galaxy
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Chicago Fire Stories
- Chicago Fire FC Re-Signs Enrique Espinoza as eSports Player for 2020 eMLS Season
- Chicago Fire FC to Kick off 2020 MLS Season on March 1 against Reigning MLS Cup Champions Seattle Sounders FC
- Chicago Fire FC Acquires First Round Draft Pick from Seattle Sounders FC
- Chicago Fire FC Exercises Contract Option on CJ Sapong and Raheem Edwards
- Chicago Fire Reveals New Primary Badge and Brand Identity Ahead of Move to Soldier Field in 2020