ATL UTD 2 Wins 2-1 against Swope Park Rangers
KENNESAW, Ga. - Atlanta United 2 defeated Swope Park Rangers 2-1 Friday night at Fifth Third Bank Stadium. Jackson Conway scored his fifth goal of the season while an own-goal proved to be the game-winner as ATL UTD 2 extended its home unbeaten streak to three matches. Goalkeeper Brendan Moore saved a penalty to preserve the win and Luiz Fernando recorded his second assist of the season.
ATL UTD 2 controlled the match early and nearly took the lead in the fifth minute. George Bello made a run down the left side and cut toward the middle of the field before laying the ball off for Andrew Carleton. The Homegrown midfielder took a touch to his right before sending a curling shot from 20 yards out to the right corner, but goalkeeper John Pulskamp made a diving effort to push it out for a corner. In the 19th minute academy product Will Reilly delivered a pin-point cross from the left side for Conway, but the forward's header drifted just past the left post.
Atlanta continued to push for the opening goal and took the lead in the 58th minute. After making a save, Moore rolled the ball to Bello who dribbled to the midfield stripe and found Fernando on the left wing. The Brazilian took a couple touches before sending an early cross into the box where Conway split a pair of defenders and smashed home a volley with his right boot. It marked Conway's third consecutive match with a goal.
Atlanta extended its lead in the 74th minute when it was able to force an own-goal. After coming on as a substitute for his second appearance of the year, Kevin Kratz delivered a free kick to the left side of the box looking for Bello, but Swope Park's Jacob Davis headed the ball over Pulskamp's head and into the net.
Swope Park was awarded a penalty in the 81st minute when academy defender Garrison Tubbs was ruled to have fouled Davis in the 18-yard box. Alexsander Andrade struck it low to the right, but Moore guessed correctly and made a diving save to keep the lead at two. Moore finished the night with six saves, matching his season-high.
The Rangers eventually pulled one goal back in the 87th minute. Davis played Wilson Harris through the middle where he finished a low shot to the bottom right corner.
ATL UTD 2 (5-13-5, 20 points) returns to action Saturday, Aug. 24 against Hartford Athletic at 7:00 p.m. EST at Dillon Stadium. The match will be streamed live on ESPN+.
Atlanta 2, Swope Park 1
Fifth Third Bank Stadium
Shots: 16-9 Swope Park
Shots on Target: 7-3 Swope Park
Corner kicks: 5-3 Atlanta
Fouls committed: 19-15 Atlanta
Saves: 6-2 Atlanta
Offside: 3-1 Atlanta
Possession: 54-46 Atlanta
Passing Accuracy: 82-80 Atlanta
ATL - Jackson Conway (Luiz Fernando) 58'
ATL - Jacob Davis (own-goal) 74'
SPR - Wilson Harris (Jacob Davis) 87'
ATL - George Campbell (yellow) 34'
ATL - George Bello (yellow) 37'
SPR - Camden Riley (yellow) 90+4'
ATLANTA UNITED 2 STARTING LINEUP
Brendan Moore; George Bello, Tyler Ruthven, George Campbell (Garrison Tubbs - 52'), Laurence Wyke; Will Reilly, Jack Metcalf ©; Luiz Fernando (Brandon Vazquez - 62'), Andrew Carleton (Kevin Kratz - 62'), Bienvenue Kanakimana; Jackson Conway.
Substitutes not used: Paul Christensen, Jordan Matthews, Alessandro Castro, Laurent Kissiedou.
SWOPE PARK RANGERS STARTING LINEUP
John Pulskamp; Jaylin Lindsey, Camden Riley, Alexsander Andrade, Kaveh Rad, Ayyoub Allach, Gedion Zelalem (Jacob Davis - 61'), Felipe Hernandez ©, Zé Pedro (Wilson Harris - 80'), Tyler Freeman (Mark Segbers - 61'), Ethan Vanacore-Decker.
Substitutes not used: Jerome Ngom Mbekeli, Killian Colombie, Rennico Clarke, Maximiliano Trejo.
JJ Bilinski (referee), Jeffrey Swartzel (assistant), Zeno Cho (assistant), Larry Pachon (fourth official)
Jackson Conway scored his fifth goal of the year and extended his scoring streak to three matches
Luiz Fernando recorded his second assist of the year
Brendan Moore matched his single-game season-high with six saves
Kevin Kratz made his second appearance of the season and his first since May 25
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from August 16, 2019
- Louisville City Set for Crucial Matchup with Charleston Battery - Louisville City FC
- ATL UTD 2 Wins 2-1 against Swope Park Rangers - Atlanta United 2
- Fresno FC vs. Real Monarchs SLC Preview - Fresno FC
- Nashville SC Takes over Whiskey Jam at Winners Bar on Monday, August 19 - Nashville SC
- Match Preview: Legion FC V. Memphis 901 FC - Saturday, August 17, 2019 - Birmingham Legion FC
- Indy Eleven, Keystone Group & American Red Cross Team up for Blood Donation Drive on August 22 - Indy Eleven
- Three Things to Know: Nashville at Charlotte Independence - Nashville SC
- Match Preview | Ottawa Fury FC at Loudoun United FC - Ottawa Fury FC
- Memphis 901 FC Ventures to Birmingham Tomorrow Night - Memphis 901 FC
- NYRB II Sign Harrison, New Jersey's Omar Sowe - New York Red Bulls II
- Match Preview: Toros Face SAFC in Copa Tejas Matchup on the Road - Rio Grande Valley FC Toros
- Game Notes: Tacoma Defiance at El Paso Locomotive FC - August 17, 2019 - Tacoma Defiance
- Lights FC Announce 2020 Season Ticket Pricing Plans - Las Vegas Lights FC
- San Antonio FC Hosts RGV FC in Crucial Copa Tejas Matchup - San Antonio FC
- USL X COPA90 Pioneer Inaugural "Supporters Week" Across the Championship - USL
- Visionworks Man of the Match: Pat McMahon - Louisville City FC
- Broken But Not Beaten: Gary Smith Knows His Captain's Pain - Nashville SC
- Defender Roy Miller Signs with Deportivo Saprissa - Portland Timbers 2
- Championship Look Ahead - Tampa Bay Rowdies
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.