Visionworks Man of the Match: Pat McMahon
After an impressive performance amid his side's 5-1 dominating win over Atlanta United FC 2, Pat McMahon earned the fans' nod for Man of the Match.
Minutes before the break, McMahon's left-footed strike doubled the Louisville City lead, proving to be the game-winner following a second-half goal from the visiting club.
"I stuck out my foot. It's a lefty goal and I'm a righty, so I was lucky for that," McMahon said on his strike. "But yeah, they told to make that third run just in case the ball squeezes through."
Sure enough, the ball slipped through a crowded box finding McMahon who finished the set-piece. While his striking ability in the 18 was on display in the win, the Illinois native exhibited a 92 percent passing accuracy on 48 passes at right back.
"It's kind of how soccer goes," he added. "Just wait your turn, keep training hard, the opportunity comes and just run with it."
Through the season's trials and tribulations, McMahon spent much of the early goings fighting for a spot on the 18-man roster. That notion has changed thanks to several peak performances over the past two weeks.
"It's more of just the mental challenges," McMahon said. "Tuning in every day at training, doing your job, and you'll get a shot."
On top of a goal-scoring performance, McMahon said he was lucky enough to have some of his biggest fans attending the match to see one of the club's best matches of the season.
"Actually, it was fortunate timing," McMahon said. "My family came in town from Chicago, so it was nice to have a good game for them, and I guess I might have to invite them back next home game.
Up next for the Boys in Purple is a trip to MUSC Health Stadium in Charleston, SC for a Saturday matchup with Charleston Battery. Kickoff is set for 7:30 pm.
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from August 16, 2019
- Louisville City Set for Crucial Matchup with Charleston Battery - Louisville City FC
- ATL UTD 2 Wins 2-1 against Swope Park Rangers - Atlanta United 2
- Fresno FC vs. Real Monarchs SLC Preview - Fresno FC
- Nashville SC Takes over Whiskey Jam at Winners Bar on Monday, August 19 - Nashville SC
- Match Preview: Legion FC V. Memphis 901 FC - Saturday, August 17, 2019 - Birmingham Legion FC
- Indy Eleven, Keystone Group & American Red Cross Team up for Blood Donation Drive on August 22 - Indy Eleven
- Three Things to Know: Nashville at Charlotte Independence - Nashville SC
- Match Preview | Ottawa Fury FC at Loudoun United FC - Ottawa Fury FC
- Memphis 901 FC Ventures to Birmingham Tomorrow Night - Memphis 901 FC
- NYRB II Sign Harrison, New Jersey's Omar Sowe - New York Red Bulls II
- Match Preview: Toros Face SAFC in Copa Tejas Matchup on the Road - Rio Grande Valley FC Toros
- Game Notes: Tacoma Defiance at El Paso Locomotive FC - August 17, 2019 - Tacoma Defiance
- Lights FC Announce 2020 Season Ticket Pricing Plans - Las Vegas Lights FC
- San Antonio FC Hosts RGV FC in Crucial Copa Tejas Matchup - San Antonio FC
- USL X COPA90 Pioneer Inaugural "Supporters Week" Across the Championship - USL
- Visionworks Man of the Match: Pat McMahon - Louisville City FC
- Broken But Not Beaten: Gary Smith Knows His Captain's Pain - Nashville SC
- Defender Roy Miller Signs with Deportivo Saprissa - Portland Timbers 2
- Championship Look Ahead - Tampa Bay Rowdies
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Louisville City FC Stories
- LouCity Lands Club-Record Four on All-League First Team
- Soccer Holdings' Speaker Series Continues with 'Race in Voting' Panel
- LouCity Bows out with Conference Final Loss to Tampa Bay
- Preview: What to Watch for with LouCity vs. Tampa Bay
- NEWS: LouCity-Tampa Bay Winner to Host USL Final