Louisville City Set for Crucial Matchup with Charleston Battery
With back-to-back wins, including Saturday's 5-1 win over Atlanta United 2, Louisville City appears to be preparing for another late-season run.
The winners of the 2017 and 2018 USL titles, Louisville City has some ground to make up in the Eastern Conference standings. The club currently sits in 7th place with 11 games to go. While the top 10 make the playoffs, meaning LouCity is likely safe there, coach John Hackworth's squad is focused on moving up into the top 4 spots and having the ability to host playoff games.
LouCity squares off Saturday against Charleston Battery after the club moved up into 9th place in the East with three points from a 2-1 win over Loudoun United Wednesday night.
"This is one of those six-point games," Hackworth explained. "When you have two teams right next to each other in the standings and we play each other this late in the season, it is a crucial matchup."
Hackworth said he doesn't have to explain the importance of this match to his team.
"They probably look at the standings more than I do," Hackworth said. "They all understand the table and understand what I mean when I say this is a 6-point game. They know they have some ground to make up to be where we want to be in the standings, and games like this are a big key to us getting where we need to be."
Charleston typically plays a defensive style which can frustrate foes into pushing too far forward. Hackworth said his team will have to make sure they stay disciplined against the Battery's style.
"We know that we'll have to try to draw them out," defender Pat McMahon said. "They are tough to play against so we'll have to make sure we are focused."
Louisville City and Charleston Battery kick off Saturday at 7:30 p.m. The game will be broadcast on WBKI locally and ESPN+ streaming.
The radio broadcast is on 840 WHAS with Kevin Kernen.
LOUISVILLE CITY @ Charleston Battery
Match Time: 7:30 p.m. ET
Local TV: WBKI | Streaming TV: ESPN+
Local Radio: 840 WHAS | Streaming Radio: iHeart Radio
@LouCityFC | @Chas_Battery
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from August 16, 2019
- Louisville City Set for Crucial Matchup with Charleston Battery - Louisville City FC
- ATL UTD 2 Wins 2-1 against Swope Park Rangers - Atlanta United 2
- Fresno FC vs. Real Monarchs SLC Preview - Fresno FC
- Nashville SC Takes over Whiskey Jam at Winners Bar on Monday, August 19 - Nashville SC
- Match Preview: Legion FC V. Memphis 901 FC - Saturday, August 17, 2019 - Birmingham Legion FC
- Indy Eleven, Keystone Group & American Red Cross Team up for Blood Donation Drive on August 22 - Indy Eleven
- Three Things to Know: Nashville at Charlotte Independence - Nashville SC
- Match Preview | Ottawa Fury FC at Loudoun United FC - Ottawa Fury FC
- Memphis 901 FC Ventures to Birmingham Tomorrow Night - Memphis 901 FC
- NYRB II Sign Harrison, New Jersey's Omar Sowe - New York Red Bulls II
- Match Preview: Toros Face SAFC in Copa Tejas Matchup on the Road - Rio Grande Valley FC Toros
- Game Notes: Tacoma Defiance at El Paso Locomotive FC - August 17, 2019 - Tacoma Defiance
- Lights FC Announce 2020 Season Ticket Pricing Plans - Las Vegas Lights FC
- San Antonio FC Hosts RGV FC in Crucial Copa Tejas Matchup - San Antonio FC
- USL X COPA90 Pioneer Inaugural "Supporters Week" Across the Championship - USL
- Visionworks Man of the Match: Pat McMahon - Louisville City FC
- Broken But Not Beaten: Gary Smith Knows His Captain's Pain - Nashville SC
- Defender Roy Miller Signs with Deportivo Saprissa - Portland Timbers 2
- Championship Look Ahead - Tampa Bay Rowdies
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.