Armas Dazzles, Claws Open Series with 4-1 Win
HICKORY, NC - Gustavo Armas gave up one hit and one run over eight innings while striking out the last 20 hitters he faced as the BlueClaws opened their series in Hickory with a 4-1 win on Thursday night.
Armas (2-1) threw a career-long eight innings and allowed only a second inning home run to Sam Huff. After that home run, he retired 20 straight before Zach Warren struck out all three he faced in the ninth inning to earn his 12th save.
The win puts the BlueClaws (38-20/79-48) back to 3.5 games ahead of Hickory (35-24/65-62) as Lakewood snapped their four-game losing streak. The BlueClaws have won eight of 11 meetings with the Crawdads so far this year.
The BlueClaws tied the game in the fourth inning on an RBI double by Jake Scheiner. Scheiner, who drove in his 57th run of the year, leads the South Atlantic League with a .420 on-base percentage since the All-Star break. He is now 26-74 since July 23rd.
Lakewood took the lead in the fifth on a SAC fly from Jose Antequera and extended the lead on a two-out RBI single from Colby Fitch to go ahead 3-1.
Crawdads starter AJ Alexy (8-6) came out after allowing three runs, two earned over seven innings but took the loss. He struck out 10 without a walk.
The BlueClaws added a run in the eighth inning off Alex Eubanks on Scheiner's second RBI double of the game.
Armas and Warren combined on the BlueClaws first one-hitter since Nick Fanti's no-hitter on July 17th of last year (Lakewood gave up two hits in a May 7th win over Columbia).
The BlueClaws need to go 5-6 over their last 11 games to match the 2006 and 2010 BlueClaws with a franchise-best 84 wins, and 6-5 to set a new team record.
The teams continue their series on Friday night at 7:05 pm. RHP Andrew Brown (5-2, 1.74) starts for Lakewood opposite RHP Tyree Thompson (7-10).
Images from this story
Lakewood BlueClaws pitcher Gustavo Armas
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from August 23, 2018
- Grotz Dominates, Offense Roars to Victory - Columbia Fireflies
- Defense Beats Power in Series Opener - West Virginia Power
- A Clean Sweep for GreenJackets - Augusta GreenJackets
- Late Five-Spot Not Enough as Tourists Fall to Fireflies - Asheville Tourists
- RiverDogs Blanked as Greenville Claims "Battle of the Palmetto State" - Charleston RiverDogs
- Soto's HR Not Enough to Buoy Hoppers - Greensboro Grasshoppers
- Suns Hold off Legends Late Rally in 3-2 Victory - Hagerstown Suns
- Drive Shut out RiverDogs to Clinch Season Series - Greenville Drive
- Hanifee Shines, 'Birds Overwhelm 'Hoppers - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Legends Can't Close Gap in Ninth; Fall 3-2 to Hagerstown - Lexington Legends
- Braves Walk-off Win, 3-2 - Rome Braves
- 'Dads Drop Series Opener to Lakewood - Hickory Crawdads
- Armas Dazzles, Claws Open Series with 4-1 Win - Lakewood BlueClaws
- Reliever Anderson Severino Promoted to Tampa - Charleston RiverDogs
- Preview: Only 8 Home Hoppers Games Left - Greensboro Grasshoppers
- Lexington Legends 2018 Playoff Tickets on Sale Now - Lexington Legends
- GreenJackets Team up with Savannah Riverkeeper for Clean up Event - Augusta GreenJackets
- West Virginia Power: Game Notes (August 23) - West Virginia Power
- Fireflies Homestand Highlights: August 23-30 - Columbia Fireflies
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.