Arencibia, Wallace Power 51s To 9-1 Victory
Las Vegas, Nev. - J.P. Arencibia hit a three-run home run in the first inning and Sean Henn allowed only one run in 6 2/3 innings as the Las Vegas 51s beat the Portland Beavers 9-1 Saturday night at Cashman Field.
Brett Wallace hit a home run in his second-straight game and finished with three RBIs while Adam Calderone launched a solo shot in the eighth for the 51s (48-53).
Henn (3-2) gave up only four hits and struck out four in his longest outing of the season.
In his first game since being claimed off waivers by the San Diego Padres, Nick Green tallied the only RBI of the game for the Beavers (38-62) with a double off of the right field wall in the seventh inning to drive in Dusty Ryan from first.
Portland starter Cesar Carrillo (4-10) pitched six innings, allowing six runs (5 earned) on nine hits.
Arencibia highlighted a four-run first inning for the 51s with a three-run homer over the left field wall and now leads professional baseball with 29 home runs.
Wallace then hit a solo home run on the 13th pitch of the at-bat against Carrillo to spot Las Vegas a 5-0 lead in the fifth.
Las Vegas tacked on three more runs in the eighth inning on Calderone's home run and a two-run double by Wallace.
The Beavers and 51s meet again Sunday at 7:05 p.m. in the third of their four-game set at Cashman Field.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from July 25, 2010
- Redbirds Rally by RedHawks - Memphis Redbirds
- Sounds Trounced by Isotopes in Rain-Shortened Contest - Nashville Sounds
- Round Rock Express Fall to Iowa Cubs 14-2 - Round Rock Express
- Rainiers Walk-Off Winners Over Sacramento - Tacoma Rainiers
- Royals, Zephyrs Split Again - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Valdez Sharp as Aces Rout Grizzlies, 10-5 - Reno Aces
- Z's Split Twin Bill - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Cheney Stadium Turned Purple - Tacoma Rainiers
- RedHawks Game Notes - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Aces' Winning Streak Snapped In 6-3 Loss To Fresno - Reno Aces
- Rainiers Roll In Win Over Sacramento - Tacoma Rainiers
- Arencibia, Wallace Power 51s To 9-1 Victory - Portland Beavers
- Update on Josh Banks - Round Rock Express
- Express edged by Cubs - Round Rock Express
- Butler Solid In First Start As Sounds Post 8-5 Victory - Nashville Sounds
- Royals, Z's Use Big 5th Innings to Split - Omaha Storm Chasers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Portland Beavers Stories
- Statement from Merritt Paulson regarding ownership of the Portland Beavers
- Beavers, Timbers Community Fund Again Recognized by Corporate Philanthropy Awards
- Beavers Win Final Game at PGE Park in Dramatic Fashion
- Young, Geer Combine on Three-Hitter as Beavers Beat 51's
- Portland held to four hits in 9-1 loss