Amerks Slip by Devils 5-3
BINGHAMTON - The Devils were unable to come back from a two-goal third period deficit, falling 5-3 to the visiting Rochester Americans inside the Floyd L. Maines Veterans Memorial Arena on Saturday night.
Despite carrying the play throughout the first period against Rochester, the Amerks showed the Devils just how dangerous they can be - scoring two goals in the final minute of the opening period. With 54 seconds remaining, Alexander Nylander threaded a cross-ice pass to Taylor Leier at the circle. Leier collected the pass and whipped a wrist shot over the shoulder of Cam Johnson.
The Amerks added their second goal of the period with only two seconds left. After a Brett Seney penalty, Nylander took a faceoff win and beat Johnson for his 12th of the year with the lone assist to Rasmus Asplund.
Binghamton cut into the 2-0 deficit 4:50 into the second period on the power play. Nikita Popugaev scored his first AHL goal, one night after recording his first point. Seney hit Popugaev with a pass through the slot, and the Russian winger put a puck under the cross bar - blowing up Rochester goalie Adam Wilcox's water bottle in the process. Ryan Murphy earned an assist as well.
The Devils tied the game at two with 4:20 remaining in the second period, courtesy of Marian Studenic. Brandon Baddock won a battle along the wall, fed a pass to Studenic in the high slot, who wired a one timer to the back of the net.
The tie was short lived. Victor Olofsson beat a screened Johnson on the rush 15 seconds after the Devils had evened the game. Rochester then extended their lead to 4-2, scoring yet another goal in the final minute of the period. Olofsson recorded his second goal of the night, beating Johnson from the slot.
Once again, Binghamton cut another two-goal lead in half, scoring at 13:16 in the third. Sam Kurker blasted home a one-time shot on a pass from Desmond Bergin, making it a one goal game. Ryan Murphy earned his second assist of the night on Kurker's goal.
However, the Devils wouldn't be able to come back from the two-goal deficit this time. Taylor Leier iced the game with the empty-net goal with 36 seconds remaining - his second of the night.
The Devils will face the Amerks again tomorrow, this time on the road in Rochester at 3:05 p.m.
For more information, including pricing, group outings, taking a limo to the game, fan experiences, and much more, visit www.binghamtondevils.com or call the Devils front office at 607-722-7367.
Images from this story
Binghamton Devils center Ryan Schmelzer (left) against the Rochester Americans
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from March 9, 2019
- Condors Shred San Jose, 7-1 - Bakersfield Condors
- Offense, Power Play Stall in 3-1 Loss in Manitoba - Rockford IceHogs
- Stars Top Rampage in 6-4 Thriller - Texas Stars
- Moose Earn 3-1 Win against Visiting Rockford - Manitoba Moose
- Admirals Stymied by Griffins - Milwaukee Admirals
- Rocket Score Four Unanswered Goals in the Third to Defeat Comets 5-3 - Laval Rocket
- Wolves Capture First-Place Clash - Chicago Wolves
- Olofsson, Leier Power Amerks to Fifth Straight Road Win - Rochester Americans
- Miletic Caps off Comeback in Penguins' 4-3 Overtime Win - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Gilmour Scores Another OT Winner - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Gilmour's OT Goal Spoils Sellout Pink in the Rink Night for T-Birds - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Barber Scores Twice in Overtime Loss to Bruins - Hershey Bears
- P-Bruins Defeat Bears 4-3 in OT - Providence Bruins
- Penguins Rally Past Crunch, 4-3, in Overtime - Syracuse Crunch
- Amerks Slip by Devils 5-3 - Binghamton Devils
- Comets Grounded by Rocket on Road - Utica Comets
- Devils Sign Nick Sorkin to PTO - Binghamton Devils
- Dallas Stars Sign Center Justin Dowling to Two-Year Contract Extension - Texas Stars
- Wolf Pack Sign Goaltender Adam Huska to ATO - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Colorado Avalanche Reassign Dries to Eagles - Colorado Eagles
- Game #54 Preview: Tucson vs. Ontario - Tucson Roadrunners
- Flames Assign Curtis Lazar to Stockton - Stockton Heat
- Kings Recall Carl Grundstrom from Ontario - Ontario Reign
- Moose Sign Brent Pedersen - Manitoba Moose
- Game Preview: Bears at Bruins, 7:05 p.m. - Hershey Bears
- Shot-Heavy Roadrunners Come up Short against Ontario - Tucson Roadrunners
- Petersen Helps Reign Stay Hot - Ontario Reign
- Heat Romp to 4-1 Win over Bakersfield - Stockton Heat
- Gulls Blanked by Colorado - San Diego Gulls
- Francouz Shines in Eagles 1-0 Blanking of San Diego - Colorado Eagles
- Condors Fall on Road in Stockton - Bakersfield Condors
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.