Gulls Blanked by Colorado
The Gulls were held scoreless in the first of a back-to-back matchups against the Colorado Eagles in a 1-0 loss tonight at Pechanga Arena San Diego.
Tonight's attendance was 12,261. The Gulls will conclude a three-game homestand and the back-to-back matchup vs. the Colorado Eagles tomorrow, Saturday, Mar. 9 (7 p.m., TV: FOX 5 San Diego).
San Diego Gulls
On the game
It's that time of year where everybody knows we're on the stretch run, we're fighting for playoff spots and playoff position. It kind of felt like a playoff game. I think everybody is kind of getting ready for the playoffs. We knew we were going to have to clamp down defensively. I actually think we did a great job of that tonight. Unfortunately we came out on the wrong end on the scoreboard, but we played a very strong game.
On the penalty kill
I think it has been a real commitment as a group to doing the hard things. If you ask any of those killers, it's not fun blocking those shots or making those hard plays on the wall. As a group, they've done a really good job. Credit goes to those guys for battling hard in the corners, blocking those shots, and getting the puck down. It's not fun being a penalty killer and those guys should take a lot of pride in what they do.
Head Coach Dallas Eakins
On the game
It was about as tight-checking as we've seen all year. Obviously, they're doing their best to climb the standings and they end up with a dirty goal. We weren't able to get past their netminder who played very well.
On the penalty kill
We're doing well. We're getting better at it. I thought we did a good job of staying out of the box tonight. We've been trying to key on that moving forward. The penalty kill is going to be critical as we go forward.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from March 9, 2019
- Condors Shred San Jose, 7-1 - Bakersfield Condors
- Offense, Power Play Stall in 3-1 Loss in Manitoba - Rockford IceHogs
- Stars Top Rampage in 6-4 Thriller - Texas Stars
- Moose Earn 3-1 Win against Visiting Rockford - Manitoba Moose
- Admirals Stymied by Griffins - Milwaukee Admirals
- Rocket Score Four Unanswered Goals in the Third to Defeat Comets 5-3 - Laval Rocket
- Wolves Capture First-Place Clash - Chicago Wolves
- Olofsson, Leier Power Amerks to Fifth Straight Road Win - Rochester Americans
- Miletic Caps off Comeback in Penguins' 4-3 Overtime Win - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Gilmour Scores Another OT Winner - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Gilmour's OT Goal Spoils Sellout Pink in the Rink Night for T-Birds - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Barber Scores Twice in Overtime Loss to Bruins - Hershey Bears
- P-Bruins Defeat Bears 4-3 in OT - Providence Bruins
- Penguins Rally Past Crunch, 4-3, in Overtime - Syracuse Crunch
- Amerks Slip by Devils 5-3 - Binghamton Devils
- Comets Grounded by Rocket on Road - Utica Comets
- Devils Sign Nick Sorkin to PTO - Binghamton Devils
- Dallas Stars Sign Center Justin Dowling to Two-Year Contract Extension - Texas Stars
- Wolf Pack Sign Goaltender Adam Huska to ATO - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Colorado Avalanche Reassign Dries to Eagles - Colorado Eagles
- Game #54 Preview: Tucson vs. Ontario - Tucson Roadrunners
- Flames Assign Curtis Lazar to Stockton - Stockton Heat
- Kings Recall Carl Grundstrom from Ontario - Ontario Reign
- Moose Sign Brent Pedersen - Manitoba Moose
- Game Preview: Bears at Bruins, 7:05 p.m. - Hershey Bears
- Shot-Heavy Roadrunners Come up Short against Ontario - Tucson Roadrunners
- Petersen Helps Reign Stay Hot - Ontario Reign
- Heat Romp to 4-1 Win over Bakersfield - Stockton Heat
- Gulls Blanked by Colorado - San Diego Gulls
- Francouz Shines in Eagles 1-0 Blanking of San Diego - Colorado Eagles
- Condors Fall on Road in Stockton - Bakersfield Condors
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent San Diego Gulls Stories
- San Diego Gulls Launch All-Access Series Today on FOX 5 San Diego
- San Diego Gulls to Celebrate Home Opener this Friday
- NHL Network to Televise San Diego Gulls Game March 29
- Lundestrom Joins Gulls
- San Diego Gulls Launch The Colony, the Official Fan and Booster Club of the Team