Americans Defeat Kelowna 5-1, Sweep Second Straight Weekend
The Americans earned a 5-1 victory over the Kelowna Rockets on Saturday, extending their win streak to four games.
Tri-City is 7th in Western Conference standings, now four points ahead of Kelowna. It was the first time the Americans have defeated the Rockets since October 13, 2018.
Tyson Greenway opened scoring five minutes into the game with a power play goal. Greenway scored with a one-timer from the slot off a feed from Reese Belton. It was his third goal of the weekend, all scored in a similar fashion with assists from Belton and Jordan Gavin.
Later in the period, Belton set up Adam Mechura on an odd-man rush. The Czechia native fell as he took a wrist shot from the slot, but still was able to score bar down on Rockets goaltender Talyn Boyko to put the Americans up 2-0.
Tri-City continued to build momentum in the first period with a late goal from Parker Bell. Lukas Dragicevic set up Bell down the left wing, and the Calgary Flames prospect scored with a sharp angle shot over the blocker of Boyko.
Tri-City trailed shots 16-6 in the first period, but led 3-0.
Jake Sloan scored the only goal of the second period as he skated around the crease and stuffed the puck around Boyko. It was Sloan's 10th goal of the season.
Tri-City was outshot 14-9 in the second frame. An impressive performance in net from Tomas Suchanek held Kelowna scoreless heading into the final frame.
The Rockets finally got on the board 41 seconds into the third period with a goal from Jackson DeSouza. Tri-City was able to hold them off for the rest of the game as the Americans controlled most of play through the remainder of the game. Bell added a final goal for Tri-City at 18:11 on the power play. With two goals and an assist, Bell recorded his first three-point game of the season on Saturday.
Lukas Dragicevic continued his history point streak with an assist against the Rockets. The 17-year-old defenseman has points in 19 straight games, dating back to October 14. Over that period he has recorded six goals and 22 assists.
Tomas Suchanek turned aside 36 of 37 shots faced, recording his 11th victory of the season.
Shots: 37-26 KEL
Score: 5-1 TC
• Discuss this story on the Western Hockey League message board...
Western Hockey League Stories from December 4, 2022
- Pats Cruise To 8-2 Win Over Oil Kings - Regina Pats
- Kykkanen Makes 44 Saves as Rockets Fend off Silvertips 5-2 - Everett Silvertips
- Rockets End Losing Streak - Kelowna Rockets
- Giants Fall 6-3 at Home Sunday - Vancouver Giants
- Oil Kings Defeated by Pats - Edmonton Oil Kings
- Calgary Hitmen Fans Toss 20,294 Plush Toys at ENMAX Teddy Bear Toss - Calgary Hitmen
- Americans Defeat Kelowna 5-1, Sweep Second Straight Weekend - Tri-City Americans
- Game Preview: Prince George Cougars at Vancouver Giants (Game #25) - Prince George Cougars
- Pats End Western Canada Swing in Edmonton - Regina Pats
- Chiefs Blanked in 3-0 Loss to Lethbridge Hurricanes - Spokane Chiefs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.