Amarillo Trounces Travs
Amarillo, TX - The Arkansas Travelers were battered for a season high in runs, hits and home runs as the Amarillo Sod Poodles took the opener of the regular season's final series by a 15-6 count. After Arkansas jumped out to the lead, the Poodles got to Travs starter Ricardo Sanchez for three runs in the second and five in the third. Sanchez night lasted just three frames. Amarillo would go on to hit four home runs in the contest while Arkansas hit three including a pair by Evan White. Their starter, Sam Williams, normally a reliever, struck out seven over three innings before passing the baton. Carlos Belen fired two perfect innings in the sixth and seventh and was rewarded with the win.
Moments That Mattered
* After hits on consecutive pitches by Donnie Walton and Jarred Kelenic to open the game, Evan White blasted a three-run homer to stake the Travs to the early lead.
* Amarillo took the lead and control of the game with four straight hits to begin the last of the third inning. Owen Miller singled in the go-ahead run with a throwing error from the outfield and a sacrifice fly bringing home the next two.
Notable Travs Performances
* SS Donnie Walton: 2-5, run
* 1B Evan White: 2-3, BB, 2 runs, 2 HR, 4 RBI
News and Notes
* The two-homer night for White was his third of the season (and his career), all coming in the past six weeks.
* DH Nick Zammarelli became the third position player to pitch for the Travs this year. He was tagged for four runs in the eighth inning.
* Arkansas' team ERA rose from 2.93 to 3.02, hurting their quest to be the first Texas League team in 27 years to post a sub-3.00 ERA for the season.
Game two of the series is Saturday night with right-hander Justin Dunn (8-5, 3.55) on the mound against righty Ronald Bolanos (8-4, 4.16). First pitch is at 7:05 and the game will be broadcast on the Sports Animal 920, the First Pitch App, TuneIn radio and milb.tv.
• Discuss this story on the Texas League message board...
Texas League Stories from August 30, 2019
- Drillers Cannot Hold Back Hooks - Tulsa Drillers
- Hooks Set Club Home Run Record in 7-6 Win - Corpus Christi Hooks
- Sod Poodles Defeat Travelers 15-6 Friday Night in 18-Hit Barrage - Amarillo Sod Poodles
- Amarillo Trounces Travs - Arkansas Travelers
- Bahr Blows Away Naturals in 8-0 Win - Frisco RoughRiders
- Naturals Stymied by 'Riders in Series Opener - Northwest Arkansas Naturals
- The Time Has Come for Amarillo to "Bring the Ruckus" - Amarillo Sod Poodles
- Final Series Highlights: August 30 - September 2 - Northwest Arkansas Naturals
- Comeback Win Gives Series to Travs - Arkansas Travelers
- Cardinals Tally Season-High 18 Hits, Beat Frisco 13-9 - Springfield Cardinals
- Sod Poodles Overpowered by Drillers in 14-9 Loss Thursday Night - Amarillo Sod Poodles
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.