Altoona Capitalizes in Fifth Inning to Beat Erie 5-1
The Erie SeaWolves (42-48) ended the doubleheader in a split after dropping game two 5-1 to the Altoona Curve (47-40).
The Curve scored their five runs all in the fifth inning on Alfred Gutierrez and Trent Szkutnik. Cole Tucker led the inning off with a single, then Stephen Alemais drew a one-out walk. Will Craig cranked his 13th home run of the year to left to give the Curve the 3-0 lead. Gutierrez plunked Jordan George then struck out Bralin Jackson before Erie manager Andrew Graham took him off the mound. In the ensuing at-bat, Szkutnik surrendered a two-run jack to Tyler Gaffney, lifting Altoona up 5-0.
Erie scored their lone run of the game on a Josh Thole home run to right field, and Erie fell in their second game of the series.
Helton (4-4) picked up the win for Altoona after allowing only one run in three innings of work. Gutierrez (0-1) lost in his AA debut after surrendering the first four runs of the game in 4.2 IP on seven hits, striking out six and walking three. Daz Cameron and Danny Woodrow both logged multi-hit games for Erie.
The SeaWolves and Curve return Saturday to UPMC Park at 7:05 PM. RHP Kyle Dowdy (2-2, 4.18 ERA) will duel with RHP Austin Coley (1-0, 3.00 ERA).
We salute our military and veterans with fireworks after the game set to the themes of the armed forces. The SeaWolves will wear special military-themed jerseys that will be auctioned off, benefiting veterans' charities.
Fans 21 & up can register to sample brews in the Bud Light Beer Garden. For $25, fans can purchase a special game ticket which includes light snacks and ten, 4-ounce beer samples made possible by Erie Beer.
After the game, stick around for autographs with C. Wolf and a SeaWolves player in the Team Store presented by Plyler Entry Systems.
Fans can purchase 2 SeaWolves game tickets, 2 SeaWolves caps and 2 McDonald's Extra Value meals all for as low as $20. Note: Value Meal coupons can be redeemed at Erie area McDonald's locations. There is no McDonald's at UPMC Park. Offer not available after noon on game day.
ALTOONA (47-40) 5-10-0
ERIE (42-48) 1-6-0
• Discuss this story on the Eastern League message board...
Eastern League Stories from July 13, 2018
- Altoona Capitalizes in Fifth Inning to Beat Erie 5-1 - Erie SeaWolves
- RubberDucks Make the Most of 11th-Inning Chance - Akron RubberDucks
- Ponies Can't Hold off Ducks' Persistent Push - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- Pork Roll Comeback Falls Short in Tenth - Trenton Thunder
- Extra Tough: Squirrels Win Thriller in Trenton - Richmond Flying Squirrels
- Sens Rally for Dramatic Comeback Win over Hartford - Harrisburg Senators
- Sea Dogs Fall 5-3 to Fisher Cats - Portland Sea Dogs
- Fightins Survive Friday the 13th - Reading Fightin Phils
- Bichette's Four Hits Lead 'Cats to Win in Portland - New Hampshire Fisher Cats
- Yard Goats Give up Five Runs in 8th and Lose - Hartford Yard Goats
- Baysox Comeback Falls Just Short in 5-4 Defeat - Bowie Baysox
- Erie Outlasts Altoona 8-7 in 11 Innings - Erie SeaWolves
- Senators to Have "Pay Your Age" Ticket Offer July 16 & 17 - Harrisburg Senators
- Deglan, Diehl Added from Tampa - Trenton Thunder
- Rumble Ponies Game Notes: Game #89 - Rumble Ponies (43-45) at RubberDucks (52-38) - 7:05 PM - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- Sea Dogs Game Notes July 13th vs. New Hampshire - Portland Sea Dogs
- Game Notes vs. Altoona - Erie SeaWolves
- Baysox to Donate Ticket Proceeds to Capital Gazette Families Fund & Capital Gazette Memorial Scholarship Fund - Bowie Baysox
- Curve Pull Away Late in 10-2 Win over SeaWolves - Altoona Curve
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.