All-American Joins Wizards Outfield
Fort Wayne, IN - Outfielder Luis Durango was promoted to the Lake Elsinore Storm and outfielder Sawyer Carroll, the San Diego Padres third round selection in this year's draft was promoted from the Eugene Emeralds to Fort Wayne, team officials announced today.
Durango finished his 2008 season with the Wizards hitting .305 with 11 doubles, three triples, one home run and 25 runs batted in. He also stole 14 bases and drew 49 walks in 93 games.
Carroll was a first-team All-America selection in his final season at the University of Kentucky this season. He led the Southeastern Conference with a .419 average, hit 19 home runs and had a Wildcat school-record 83 RBI. He left his mark on the Kentucky baseball program, finishing as the career record holder for batting average with a .386 mark.
Carroll was originally selected by the Washington Nationals organization in the 18th round of the 2007 Major League Baseball Draft. He started his professional career with Eugene of the Northwest League and hit .299 and led the Emeralds with 14 doubles, three triples, eight home runs and 39 RBI.
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from August 12, 2008
- Cedar Rapids Takes Final Game to Split Series - Burlington Bees
- McCardell Shines in Ninth Win - Beloit Snappers
- Bandits fall just short of series sweep - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Early Trouble Dooms Cougars - Kane County Cougars
- Whitecaps surrender season-high 14 hits - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Rattlers light up scoreboard in win - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Dragons upend Lugs, salvage final game of set - Lansing Lugnuts
- Chiefs Fall 7-2 Tuesday - Peoria Chiefs
- Dragons Hold on to Win; Go Two Up in Wildcard Race - Dayton Dragons
- Loons Earn Split Against Wizards - Great Lakes Loons
- Long Time, No See - Kane County Cougars
- 2008 1st Round Draft Pick Added to South Bend Roster - South Bend Silver Hawks
- Chris Dickerson Becomes 30th Former Dragon in Major Leagues - Dayton Dragons
- Bandits "Add" Lefty to List of Promotions - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Kernels use big inning in 7-2 win over Burlington - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Wizards and Padres Team Up For Two More Years - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- All-American Joins Wizards Outfield - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Fallen Heroes Night at the Cove - South Bend Silver Hawks
- Chiefs Lose Pitchers Duel 2-1, Fall 2 ½ Back in Wild Card Race - Peoria Chiefs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.