Albany Devils Weekly
FIVE THINGS TO KNOW ABOUT THIS WEEK
The Albany Devils are on a three game winning streak and have won four of the last five. Since the beginning of December, the team has gone 9-3-1-1, outscoring opponents 41-30. The Devils three-in-three weekend includes a 7 pm outing Friday at the Manchester Monarchs, a 5 pm contest Saturday against the Worcester Sharks and a 4 pm game against the Bridgeport Sound Tigers at Atlantic City's Boardwalk Hall.
Saturday's game at Times Union Center is "GE Kids-In-Free" and all children 12-and-under will receive free admission when accompanied by an adult with a ticket. The first 1, 000 kids to arrive will receive a GE Sponsored, Devils t-shirt.
Also on Saturday, the Devils will honor firefighters, police officers and paramedics of the Capital Region during "Local Heroes Night." Tickets for first responders are $15 with $5 being donated to the Ronald McDonald House Charities of the Capital Region. The Devils and the City of Albany Fire Department are also auctioning a one-of-a-kind Devils firefighter helmet autographed by the team. All proceeds will benefit the Ronald McDonald House. Visit: thealbanydevils.com/ronaldmcdonald.
Despite having played four fewer games, the Devils are tied with the Connecticut Whale for third in the Northeast Division. Albany is also tied for 10th in the Eastern Conference with a 13-11-1-6 record (33 pts.). The team is 6-6-0-4 at home and 7-5-1-2 on the road.
Manchester is tied for fourth in the Atlantic Division and tied for seventh in the Eastern Conference with a 16-15-2-2 mark (36 pts.) with a 8-9-2-1 home record. Worcester is second in the Atlantic Division and fifth in the conference with an 18-13-1-2 showing (39 pts.), including an 11-8-0-1 road mark. Bridgeport is second in the Northeast Division and sixth in the conference with a 17-14-2-2 record (38 pts.), featuring an 8-10-1-1 away mark.
- Starting Sunday against the Bridgeport Sound Tigers, the Devils will play seven consecutive divisional games. The team is 8-3-0-1 overall within the division. The record includes a 4-1-0- 1 mark at Times Union Center and 4-2-0-0 showing on the road.
- Albany is 10-4-1-3 when scoring first, 7-4-0-1 when leading after the first period, 9-0-0-1 when leading after the second, 6-3-0-3 when scoring on the power play, and 9-3-1-4 when holding opponents scoreless on the power play.
- During Sunday's 5-2 win against the Binghamton Senators, the Devils grabbed a 2-0 advantage at 15:11 before the Senators registered a shot on goal. Binghamton was held to three shots in the opening period, which was not a season-low for the Devils for shots against. They limited the Senators to two shots during the first period on Dec. 28 at Times Union Center.
- The Devils have scored empty net goals during the last two games. Entering last weekend, Albany hadn't registered an empty net tally since Vladimir Zharkov's goal on Feb. 25, 2012 at Manchester.
- With back-to-back wins last week, Keith Kinkaid extended his winning streak to four games. Since Dec. 1, he has posted a 9-1-1-0 record. For the season, he is 10-7-3 with a 2.38 goals-against average and a .918 save percentage.
- Mattias Tedenby registered a pair of goals and an assist during last weekend's games. He had a goal and a helper Saturday and followed with a tally Sunday. In 28 games this year, he has 14 points with seven goals and seven assists.
- Chris McKelvie, who has appeared in 11 games, has four helpers in the last two contests. With McKelvie in the lineup, Albany is 8-2-0-1.
- Mike Hoeffel is riding a three-game point streak with three assists. The second-year pro has appeared in 20 games, posting six points, including two goals and four assists, and a plus-3 rating.
- Eric Gelinas netted his second goal of the season when he scored during the first period Sunday. The tally extended his point streak to four games, giving him a goal and three assists during that span. In 14 games, he has five points.
- Tim Sestito, who is on a three-game goal streak, has posted three goals and three assists in the last eight contests. He is tied for fourth on the team with 14 points backed by five goals and nine assists.
LAST WEEK'S RESULTS
Sat., Jan. 5; Albany 4 vs. Springfield 1 (Times Union Center)
Teams 1 2 3 F
Springfield 1 0 0 1
Albany 1 1 2 4
Mattias Tedenby had a goal and an assist and Chris McKelvie contributed a career-high three assists in the Devils 4-1 win against the Springfield Falcons Saturday at Times Union Center. The victory was the Devils second in just more than a week against the Northeast Division-leading Falcons.
Stephen Gionta, Tim Sestito and Bobby Butler each added goals and Keith Kinkaid made 21 saves on 22 shots. For Springfield, Cam Atkinkson netted the lone goal and Allen York made 24 stops on 27 tries.
After Gionta and Atkinson exchanged goals at 12:12 and 17:39 of the first, Tedenby netted the game-winning goal by following up on his own rebound at 10:23 of the second. Sestito added to the lead at 5:54 of the third and Butler capped the scoring with an empty net goal at 19:10.
1st Period-1, Albany, Gionta 2 (Tedenby, McKelvie), 12:12. 2, Springfield, Atkinson 17 (Calvert, Craig), 17:39 (PP).
2nd Period-3, Albany, Tedenby 6 (McKelvie), 10:23.
3rd Period-4, Albany, Sestito 4 (Hoeffel, Gelinas), 5:54. 5, Albany, Butler 15 (McKelvie), 19:10 (EN).
Shots on Goal-Springfield 7-8-7-22. Albany 10-10-8-28.
Power Play Opportunities-Springfield 1 / 3; Albany 0 / 3.
Goalies-Springfield, York 1-3-0 (27 shots-24 saves). Albany, Kinkaid 10-7-3 (22 shots-21 saves).
Sun., Jan. 6; Binghamton 2 at Albany 5 (Times Union Center)
Teams 1 2 3 F
Binghamton 0 2 0 2
Albany 2 0 3 5
The Devils extended their winning streak to three games with a 5-2 victory against the Binghamton Senators Sunday at Times Union Center. Tim Sestito posted a goal and an assist, while Eric Gelinas, Adam Larsson, Mattias Tedenby and Steve Zalewski each scored. In goal, Keith Kinkaid made 22 saves on 24 shots.
Binghamton received goals from Patrick Wiercioch and Shane Prince. Between the pipes, Robin Lehner made 36 saves on 40 shots.
Tied 2-2 in the third, Larsson netted the game-winning goal at 11:11 on a tic-tac-toe play, which included four of the five skaters on the ice. Tedenby made the score 4-2 at 16:11 and Zalewski potted and empty net goal at 17:58.
1st Period-1, Albany, Gelinas 2 (Anderson, Urbom), 2:34 (PP). 2, Albany, Sestito 5 (Hoeffel, Zajac), 15:11.
2nd Period-3, Binghamton, Wiercioch 9 (Benoit, Jessiman), 5:53 (PP). 4, Binghamton, Prince 7 (Cannone, Schneider), 8:38.
3rd Period-5, Albany, Larsson 3 (Pesonen, Sestito), 11:11. 6, Albany, Tedenby 7 (Gionta, McKelvie), 16:11. 7, Albany, Zalewski 4 (Kelly), 17:58 (EN).
Shots on Goal-Binghamton 3-12-10-25. Albany 13-18-10-41.
Power Play Opportunities-Binghamton 1 / 5; Albany 1 / 5.
Goalies-Binghamton, Lehner 13-5-1 (40 shots-36 saves). Albany, Kinkaid 10-7-3 (25 shots-23 saves).
THIS WEEK'S OPPONENTS
Fri., Jan. 11 at Manchester Monarchs (Verizon Wireless Arena)
The Devils and the Monarchs are meeting for the second and final time this season. Albany lost, 2-1, to Manchester during Opening Night on Oct. 13. Manchester is coming off a weekend sweep at the St. John's IceCaps last weekend. They claimed a 3-2 win Friday and a 3-2 overtime victory Saturday. The Monarchs are 5-4-0-1 in their last 10 games.
Linden Vey and Tyler Toffoli lead the team with 27 and 26 points, respecitively. In 35 games, Vey has produced eight goals, 27 assists and a plus-2 rating. In 34 contests, Toffoli has registered 16 goals, 10 assists and a plus-10 rating. Brandon Kozun is third with 23 points with nine goals, 14 assists and a plus-2 rating.
In goal, Martin Jones has appeared in 23 games, posting an 8-13-2 record with a 2.61 goals-against average and a .912 save percentage. Peter Mannino has played 14 contests, registering an 8-4-0 mark with a 2.08 goals-against average and a .927 save percentage.
Last 5 Meetings
11/26/10 -- Albany (2) at Manchester (7)
2/5/11 -- Manchester (4) at Albany (0)
12/30/11 -- Manchester (5) at Albany (4) OT
2/25/12 -- Albany (3) at Manchester (1)
10/13/12 -- Manchester (2) at Albany (1)
Sat., Jan. 12 vs. Worcester Sharks (Times Union Center)
The Worcester Sharks split a pair of games last weekend, falling 3-0 at the Wilkes-Barre/ Scranton Penguins Saturday and winning, 2-1, at the Hershey Bears Sunday. Earlier this week, they lost 7-3 at the Portland Pirates Tuesday. Worcester is 3-2-0-0 in its last five games and 6-4-0-0 in its last 10.
Tim Kennedy leads the Sharks with 30 points, backed by a team-high 12 goals and 18 assists. James Sheppard is second with 23 points, including eight goals and 15 assists, and Jon Matsumoto is third with 20 points with nine goals and 11 helpers.
Between the pipes Alex Stalock has played 21 games, going 12-7-1 with a 2.73 goals-against
average and a .909 save percentage. Harri Sateri has appeared in 14 outings, posting a 6-7-1 mark with a 2.86 goals-against average and a .906 save percentage.
Last 5 Meetings
10/15/11 -- Albany (1) at Worcester (6)
12/16/11 -- Worcester (5) at Albany (1)
3/21/12 -- Worcester (6) at Albany (5)
4/4/12 -- Albany (1) at Worcester (2)
10/20/12 -- Albany (4) at Worcester (0)
Sun., Jan. 13 vs. Bridgeport Sound Tigers (Boardwalk Hall)
The Bridgeport Sound Tigers are coming off a 4-3 setback against the Hershey Bears Tuesday. Last week, they went 1-2- 0-0, including a 4-3 shootout win at the Adirondack Phantoms Monday. Bridgeport, which is 5-3-1-1 in its last 10 games, followed with a 5-4 loss at the Springfield Falcons Friday and a 2-1 loss at the Portland Pirates Saturday.
Nino Niederreiter paces the team with 34 points, including a team-best 17 goals to go with 17 assists. Colin McDonald and Johan Sundstrom are second and third with 25 and 24 points. McDonald has contributed six goals and a club-high 19 helpers and Sundstrom has posted 10 goals and 14 assists.
In goal, Anders Nilsson and Kevin Poulin have shared responsibilities. In 17 games, Nilsson is 7-8-0 with a 2.91 goals-against average and a .903 save percentage. In 19 outings, Poulin is 10-7-2 with a 3.03 goals- against average and a .908 save percentage.
Last 5 Meetings
2/20/12 -- Albany (0) at Bridgeport (3)
2/26/12 -- Albany (2) at Bridgeport (3)
3/2/12 -- Bridgeport (2) at Albany (5)
12/8/12 -- Bridgeport (1) at Albany (3)
12/19/12 -- Albany (3) at Bridgeport (4)
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from January 9, 2013
- Sheahan's Two Goals Push Griffins Past IceHogs - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Amerks Fall to Crunch in First Home Game of 2013 - Rochester Americans
- Penguins Fall Short against Senators - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- B-Sens Defeat Pens, 3-1 - Binghamton Senators
- Crunch Best Amerks 5-3 - Syracuse Crunch
- IceCaps Recall Carrozzi; Sign Lunden & Petiot to PTO's - St. John's IceCaps
- Stars Weekly (week 14) - Texas Rides Three-Game Win Streak To Open 2013 - Texas Stars
- Falcons Announce Partnership With Link To Libraries - Springfield Falcons
- Whale Sign Shayne Wiebe to AHL Contract - Connecticut Whale
- IceCaps Recall Carrozzi; Sign Lunden and Petiot to PTOs - St. John's IceCaps
- P-Bruins Announce Roster Moves - Providence Bruins
- Houston Aeros Sign NHL Veteran Defenseman Paul Mara - Houston Aeros
- Regan Smith To Headline Race Night - Charlotte Checkers
- Crunch Announce Details of Tully's Good Times Air Hockey Tournament - Syracuse Crunch
- Monarchs Sign LoVerde - Manchester Monarchs
- Albany Devils Weekly - Albany Devils
- Worcester Signs Patrick Rissmiller and Michael Wilson - Worcester Sharks
- Hogs Host Griffs at BMO Tonight - Rockford IceHogs
- Combs and Costello Agree to Terms on AHL Deals - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Crunch Announce Details of Molson Canadian/Miller Lite Celebrity Bartending Series - Syracuse Crunch
- Cooper, Daniels Added to AHL All-Star Coaching Staff - Providence Bruins
- Rivermen Take You Can Play Pledge - Peoria Rivermen
- Marlies Sign Syvret to PTO - Toronto Marlies
- Syracuse Head Coach Jon Cooper Selected to Join 2013 AHL All-Star Classic Coaching Staff - Syracuse Crunch
- Jon Cooper, Jeff Daniels Added to AHL All-Star Classic Coaching Staffs - AHL
- IceCaps to Host Home Depot 'On the Bench' Hockey Clinic - St. John's IceCaps
- Phantoms Weekly - Thanks Brayden and Sean - Adirondack Phantoms
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.