B-Sens Defeat Pens, 3-1
WILKES-BARRE, P.A. - The Binghamton Senators wrapped up a stretch of three straight games on the road with a 3-1 win over the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins tonight at the Mohegan Sun Arena at Casey Plaza.
The game's first goal came off the stick of Binghamton forward Stephane Da Costa when he netted his sixth of the season at 6:27 of the first period. Jakob Silfverberg and Andre Benoit were credited with the assists.
After a scoreless second period, the B-Sens added to their lead at 1:00 on a power play goal by defenseman Eric Gryba, his third tally of the season, with helpers from Corey Cowick and Hugh Jessiman. The Penguins then scored their first ringer of the game at 14:45 to cut Binghamton's lead in half as forward Paul Thompson beat B-Sens backstop Robin Lehner with assists from Philippe Dupuis and Eric Tangradi.
With 1:17 to go, forward Mike Hoffman would put the game out of reach for Wilkes-Barre/Scranton on an empty-netter to secure a 3-1 victory for the B-Sens.
Lehner's performance, which consisted of making 31 saves on 32 shots, earned the goaltender his fourteenth win of the season while Penguins goaltender Jeff Zatkoff took the nod in goal for the Pens, stopping 13 of 16 shots. Lehner improved his season record against Wilkes-Barre/Scranton to 4-0-1.
The B-Sens return to action on Friday, Jan. 11 as they host the Adirondack Phantoms. Game time is 7:05 p.m. Tickets to the game are $19 for side and $18 for end seats. Fans can purchase tickets through the B-Sens executive office by calling (607) 722-SENS (7367), the Broome County Veterans Memorial Arena box office, and all Ticketmaster outlets.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from January 9, 2013
- Sheahan's Two Goals Push Griffins Past IceHogs - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Amerks Fall to Crunch in First Home Game of 2013 - Rochester Americans
- Penguins Fall Short against Senators - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- B-Sens Defeat Pens, 3-1 - Binghamton Senators
- Crunch Best Amerks 5-3 - Syracuse Crunch
- IceCaps Recall Carrozzi; Sign Lunden & Petiot to PTO's - St. John's IceCaps
- Stars Weekly (week 14) - Texas Rides Three-Game Win Streak To Open 2013 - Texas Stars
- Falcons Announce Partnership With Link To Libraries - Springfield Falcons
- Whale Sign Shayne Wiebe to AHL Contract - Connecticut Whale
- IceCaps Recall Carrozzi; Sign Lunden and Petiot to PTOs - St. John's IceCaps
- P-Bruins Announce Roster Moves - Providence Bruins
- Houston Aeros Sign NHL Veteran Defenseman Paul Mara - Houston Aeros
- Regan Smith To Headline Race Night - Charlotte Checkers
- Crunch Announce Details of Tully's Good Times Air Hockey Tournament - Syracuse Crunch
- Monarchs Sign LoVerde - Manchester Monarchs
- Albany Devils Weekly - Albany Devils
- Worcester Signs Patrick Rissmiller and Michael Wilson - Worcester Sharks
- Hogs Host Griffs at BMO Tonight - Rockford IceHogs
- Combs and Costello Agree to Terms on AHL Deals - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Crunch Announce Details of Molson Canadian/Miller Lite Celebrity Bartending Series - Syracuse Crunch
- Cooper, Daniels Added to AHL All-Star Coaching Staff - Providence Bruins
- Rivermen Take You Can Play Pledge - Peoria Rivermen
- Marlies Sign Syvret to PTO - Toronto Marlies
- Syracuse Head Coach Jon Cooper Selected to Join 2013 AHL All-Star Classic Coaching Staff - Syracuse Crunch
- Jon Cooper, Jeff Daniels Added to AHL All-Star Classic Coaching Staffs - AHL
- IceCaps to Host Home Depot 'On the Bench' Hockey Clinic - St. John's IceCaps
- Phantoms Weekly - Thanks Brayden and Sean - Adirondack Phantoms
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.