Albadawi and Fortune Score in North Carolina FC Win over Birmingham Legion FC
Cary, NC - North Carolina FC secured three points in the team's third win of the season with a 2-1 victory over Birmingham Legion FC. NCFC Youth Academy products Nazmi Albadawi and Dre Fortune scored the goals in the match. Alex Tambakis saved a penalty kick in the 90th minute to secure the win.
North Carolina FC and Birmingham Legion FC came together around the center circle in the seventh minute of the match for a pause in play to fight for equality, diversity, and inclusivity in the ongoing movement around social injustice.
In the 24th minute, NCFC captain Albadawi found the back of the net and helped his team take an early lead. Hadji Barry made a run on the left side of the field before playing the ball back to the midfielder who scored from outside the box. The goal was Albadawi's 26th all-time for the club and first of the 2020 season.
Dave Sarachan's team went into the half with the lead for the first time in four games. A change in the NCFC formation helped the team create five offensive chances in the first 45 minutes.
Birmingham tied the match in the 59th minute when Prosper Kasim finished a cross from Razak Cromwell. Kasim opened up his body and redirected the ball into the lower right corner of the goal.
One minute later, Fortune earned a penalty kick as he was attacking in Birmingham Legion's box. Fortune then stepped up to take the penalty kick which he placed between the goalkeeper's legs to reclaim the lead. The goal was Fortune's third of the season. The midfielder leads NCFC in scoring in 2020.
Tambakis came up with the save of the game in the 90th minute when he stopped a penalty kick awarded to Birmingham Legion after a handball was called in the box. The Greek goalkeeper made the diving save to his right. Daniele Proch cleared the rebound before a Legion FC player could have another chance on goal.
Up Next: North Carolina FC plays the Charlotte Independence on Saturday, September 5 at 7 p.m. at Matthews Sportsplex. The match will air on ESPN+.
North Carolina FC Youth Academy products Nazmi Albadawi, Conor Donovan, Dre Fortune, Manny Perez, and DJ Taylor all started the match.
Nazmi Albadawi scored his 26th all-time goal for the club and his first of the 2020 season.
Hadji Barry earned his first assist of the season.
NCFC's record improves to 3W-4L-1D.
BHM (4-4-2): Ford Parker; Alex Crognale, Jonathan Dean, Mikey Lopez ©, Bolu Akinyode; Prosper Kasim (Brian Wright, 66'), Anderson Asiedu, Bruno Lapa, Daigo Kobayashi (Razak Cromwell, 55'); Jaden Servania (Braxton Najib, 88'), Neco Brett
Subs Not Used: Matt Van Oekel, Josh Bauer, Jacob Rufe, Marcos Ugarte
NC: (4-5-1): Alex Tambakis; Alex Comsia, Conor Donovan, Sam Brotherton, DJ Taylor; Pecka (Daniele Proch, 84'), Manny Perez (Steven Miller, 65'), Nazmi Albadawi ©, Dre Fortune (Graham Smith, 63'), Hadji Barry; Marios Lomis (Robert Kristo, 63')
Subs Not Used: Paolo Pita, Malick Mbaye, Ben Speas
BHM: Prosper Kasim (Razak Cromwell, 59')
NC: Nazmi Albadawi (Hadji Barry, 24'), Dre Fortune (penalty, 62')
BHM: Daigo Kobayashi (45+1')
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from September 2, 2020
- FC Tulsa Gets First Home Win Behind Suarez Braces - FC Tulsa
- Legion FC Falls to North Carolina FC - Birmingham Legion FC
- Philadelphia Union II Edged by Atlanta United 2, 2-1 - Philadelphia Union II
- Albadawi and Fortune Score in North Carolina FC Win over Birmingham Legion FC - North Carolina FC
- Toros Fall Short to FC Tulsa on the Road - Rio Grande Valley FC Toros
- Late heroics from Julian Chavez and Mario Penagos solidify dramatic road win against T2 - Sacramento Republic FC
- New Mexico United Staff Member Tests Positive for COVID-19 - New Mexico United
- Mike da Fonte Re-Signs with Energy FC - OKC Energy FC
- Indy Eleven Accepting Nominees for Campeones de la Comunidad Awards - Indy Eleven
- Rowdies Sign Defender Alexander Davey - Tampa Bay Rowdies
- USL Championship Discipline Report - Week 11 - USL
- Memphis 901 FC Reschedules Matches against North Carolina FC - Memphis 901 FC
- North Carolina FC Sets New Dates for Matches against Memphis 901 FC - North Carolina FC
- USL Statement: COVID-19 Test Results - September 2, 2020 - USL
- Alex Davey Transferred to Tampa Bay Rowdies - Hartford Athletic
- Diversity Committee Formed to Take on Issues 'Bigger Than Sports' - Louisville City FC
- Energy FC Bolsters Defense with Re-Signing of Mike da Fonte - OKC Energy FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent North Carolina FC Stories
- Ben Speas to Retire After a Nine-Year Professional Soccer Career
- North Carolina Football Club Partners with Reed and Feed and NCFC Youth for Food Drive
- North Carolina Football Club to Hold Virtual Ticket 'Pitch-In' Campaign for Bucy Foundation Mini-Pitch Project
- Dahlkemper, Dunn, and Williams Named to 27-Player Roster for First U.S. Women's National Team Training Camp in Seven Months
- North Carolina FC's Youth to Pro Pipeline Comes to Light as Dre Fortune Highlights 2020 NCFC Team Awards as Most Valuable Player