Toros Fall Short to FC Tulsa on the Road
TULSA, Oklahoma - Rio Grande Valley FC (0-8-3) fall 2-1 on the road to FC Tulsa (3-2-4) on Wednesday night. The loss extended the Toros' winless record to 11 - tying for the longest winless streak in club history since 2018.
FC Tulsa earned the lead in the 25th minute after ball play was switched to the left side of the field. Raphael Ayagwa sent a pass to Eric Bird, where he then sent it back to Dario Suarez. Suarez then sent a right footed shot to the back of the net, 1-0.
Luka Prpa equalized three minutes later after DeShane Beckford sent a pass to Kyle Edwards inside the box. Edwards found himself giving his back to the goal but sent a quick pass to Prpa sending a left footed strike putting it away, 1-1.
Suarez regained the lead after receiving a cross inside the box from Ariel Martinez. Suarez then struck with the left foot past Paul Blanchette in the 68th minute, 2-1, earning himself a brace.
The matchup kicked off with some Juan Carlos Obregon Jr. action as he sent a shot from outside the box but missed to the right in the 8th minute. He then had another opportunity ten minutes later from outside the box but missed to the right.
In the 35th minute Lebo Moloto tested Blanchette as he sent a right footed shot from outside the box but Blanchette managed to save the shot in the center of the goal. Moloto then sent another shot from outside the box but missed out wide.
The Toros wanted to head into the locker room with a lead as they had three back-to-back opportunities with the most dangerous attempt coming from the Jamaican midfielder. Beckford sent a shot from the right side of the box, but Sean Lewis saved the attempt.
Tulsa came out in the second half strong with Rodrigo da Costa from off the bench. In the 49th minute da Costa sent a long strike from the top of the box but Blanchette was able to save it at the top left corner. Ten minutes later Martinez struck from the top of the box forcing Blanchette to stretch to deflect the ball out.
RGV FC totaled eight shots with two on target while Tulsa totaled 15 shots with seven on goal.
Blanchette totaled five saves tonight along with two clearances. Robert Castellanos totaled eight clearances, two interceptions along with one tackle and one block. Houston Dynamo loanee Erik McCue was right behind with five clearances, one tackle and one block.
Prpa led the offensive side with two total shots, one on target while scoring his second professional goal. Obregon Jr. also totaled two shots and added one key pass and created a chance.
The Toros head to San Antonio for the last South Texas Derby of the 2020 season. RGV FC and SAFC will battle it out on Saturday, September 5 with kickoff at 8 p.m. CST. Matchup will be broadcasted live nationally on ESPN+. To see more matchday information, visit www.rgvfc.com.
Rio Grande Valley FC (0-8-3; 3 pts.) 1-2 FC Tulsa (3-2-4; 13 pts.)
USL Championship 2020 Season - Match 11
Wednesday - ONEOK Field - Tulsa, Oklahoma
TEAM 1H 2H FT
Rio Grande Valley FC 1 0 1
FC Tulsa 1 1 2
TUL: Dario Suarez (Bird) 25
RGV: Luka Prpa (Edwards) 28
TUL: Dario Suarez (Martinez) 68
LINEUPS & STATISTICS
RGV FC: Paul Blanchette, Robert Castellanos, Carter Manley, Erik McCue, DeShane Beckford (Kembo Kibato 68), Robert Coronado, Isidro Martinez, Ian Hoffmann (James Murphy 57), Luka Prpa (Timo Mehlich 57), Juan C. Obregon Jr. (Jonathan Jimenez 83), Kyle Edwards (Garrett McLaughlin 56).
Unused substitutes: Ryan Coulter, Kyle Adams.
Total Shots: 8 Shots on Goal: 2 Fouls Committed: 14 Offside: 0 Corner Kicks: 5 Saves: 5
TUL: Sean Lewis, Solomon Kwambe (Vangjel Zguro 45), Matthew Sheldon, Bradley Bourgeois, Kevin Garcia, Lebo Moloto, Eric Bird, Raphael Ayagwa (Rodrigo da Costa 45), Marlon (Fabian Bastidas 71), Ariel Martinez, Dario Suarez (Cristhian Altamirano 89).
Unused substitutes: Cyprian Hedrick, Mfon Udoh, Bryan Byars.
Total Shots: 15 Shots on Goal: 7 Fouls Committed: 16 Offside: 2 Corner Kicks: 4 Saves: 1
TUL: Marlon (caution; foul) 27
TUL: Eric Bird (caution; foul) 43
TUL: Lebo Moloto (caution; foul) 75
TUL: Vangjel Zguro (caution; foul) 84
Referee: Matthew Corrigan
Assistant Referee 1: Seth Barton
Assistant Referee 2: Truman Berghall
Fourth Official: Jose Lara
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from September 2, 2020
- FC Tulsa Gets First Home Win Behind Suarez Braces - FC Tulsa
- Legion FC Falls to North Carolina FC - Birmingham Legion FC
- Philadelphia Union II Edged by Atlanta United 2, 2-1 - Philadelphia Union II
- Albadawi and Fortune Score in North Carolina FC Win over Birmingham Legion FC - North Carolina FC
- Toros Fall Short to FC Tulsa on the Road - Rio Grande Valley FC Toros
- Late heroics from Julian Chavez and Mario Penagos solidify dramatic road win against T2 - Sacramento Republic FC
- New Mexico United Staff Member Tests Positive for COVID-19 - New Mexico United
- Mike da Fonte Re-Signs with Energy FC - OKC Energy FC
- Indy Eleven Accepting Nominees for Campeones de la Comunidad Awards - Indy Eleven
- Rowdies Sign Defender Alexander Davey - Tampa Bay Rowdies
- USL Championship Discipline Report - Week 11 - USL
- Memphis 901 FC Reschedules Matches against North Carolina FC - Memphis 901 FC
- North Carolina FC Sets New Dates for Matches against Memphis 901 FC - North Carolina FC
- USL Statement: COVID-19 Test Results - September 2, 2020 - USL
- Alex Davey Transferred to Tampa Bay Rowdies - Hartford Athletic
- Diversity Committee Formed to Take on Issues 'Bigger Than Sports' - Louisville City FC
- Energy FC Bolsters Defense with Re-Signing of Mike da Fonte - OKC Energy FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Rio Grande Valley FC Toros Stories
- H-E-B Park Hosts Copa RGV, Presented by Solo Futbol RGV
- RGV FC Present Donations Raised to Friends for Hope
- Houston Dynamo Will Not be Renewing the Contract of Head Coach Gerson Echeverry with RGV FC
- Kibato Selected to USL Championship Team of the Week
- Toros Fans Bring the Energy as RGV FC Defeat OKC 4-2 at Home