Late heroics from Julian Chavez and Mario Penagos solidify dramatic road win against T2
PORTLAND, Oregon - In the dying moments of the match on Wednesday afternoon, Mario Penagos and Julian Chavez - two products of the Academy development pipeline - scored their first career goals with the first team. Their late match efforts ensured that all three points head back to Sacramento after a thrilling 2-1 win over Portland Timbers 2.
"It's amazing for them, amazing for their development. We needed something in the moment. We needed something special and both of our Academy players stepped up and provided something special for the team," said Head Coach Mark Briggs. "That's just rewarding for everyone in general, so I'm over the moon for Mario and Juju. They deserve to be rewarded for the goals they've scored and giving them time in crucial moments shows the trust we have in them."
In the seventh minute of the game, both Western Conference rivals halted play and came together to take a collective knee at midfield for a powerful demonstration in support of social justice and recognize the fight for equality, inclusivity and diversity.
The two teams entered the break scoreless but were creating plenty of chances with the final opportunity before the whistle from Timbers 2 forcing goalkeeper Rafael Diaz to make a save on his near post from close range.
But the Sacramento shot stopper wasn't done coming up big for his side and in the 75th minute, the GK made a veteran play after a long ball was played to an open Giovanni Calixtro with nothing but Rafa and goal in front of him. As the T2 forward tried to lob his effort over Diaz, Rafa - who was well out of the box - knew exactly where he was on the pitch and threw his shoulder into the shot to deflect to the side. Diaz then chased the shot, beat Calixtro to the loose ball to head it back into his own box where he safely secured the ball.
The Indomitable Club took the lead late after Penagos netted in the 87th to lift his side to a 1-0 lead. Chavez delivered a pass to Cameron Iwasa at the top of the box and with his first touch the career 50-goal scorer played a delicate ball to Penagos surging towards net and all the midfielder had to do was steer his shot by the T2 GK to gift SRFC a 1-0 advantage and collect his first career goal.
The hosts were quick to respond and in the second minute of stoppage time when Max Ornstil found Dyson Clapier, who bagged the late equalizer.
But SRFC were far from finished and with the last kick of the game, Chavez danced around his defender and delivered a curling left-footed that carved its way into the near corner of the net to secure a stunning 2-1 road win. The goal was also Chavez's first with the first team during Championship play and elevated the boys in Old Glory Red's current winning streak to five straight fixtures.
Mark Briggs' men return home for another midweek matchup when OCSC visits Papa Murphy's Park on Wednesday, September 9. Sacramento is currently level with Reno 1868 FC on 21 points but Republic FC trails its regional rival solely on goal differential with +6 compared to Reno's +11.
Sacramento Republic FC 2-1 Portland Timbers 2
Providence Park, Portland, Oregon
September 2, 2020
Scoring Summary:SAC - Mario Penagos (Cameron Iwasa) 87', Julian Chavez (Matt Mahoney) 90+6'; POR - Dyson Clapier (Max Ornstil) 90+2'.
Misconduct Summary:SAC - Drew Skundrich (caution) 49', Rodrigo Lopez (caution) 72', Shannon Gomez (caution) 81'; Marcus Epps (caution) 80'.
Sacramento Republic FC - Rafael Diaz; Shannon Gomez, Hayden Sargis, Matt Mahoney, Jordan McCrary, Rodrigo Lopez, Drew Skundrich ©, Ashkanov Apollon (Mario Penagos 86'), Dariusz Formella (Villyan Bijev 72'), Sam Werner (Julian Chavez 82'), Cameron Iwasa.
Unused substitutes: Brady Scott, Dekel Keinan, Rafael Jauregui, Jaime Villarreal.
Stats- Shots: 13, Shots on Goal: 2, Saves: 2, Fouls: 10, Corner Kicks: 10, Offsides: 3.
Portland Timbers 2-Hunter Sulte;Harold Hanson, Marcus Epps ©, Isaac Homer (Gerardo Duran 89'), Max Ornstil, Aedan Stanley, Aaron Molloy, Jose Anguiano, Salvador Villegas (Tega Ikoba 57'), Giovanni Calixtro, Dyson Clapier.
Unused substitutes: Jake Leeker, Cullen Wilkerson, Jorge Gonzalez.
Stats- Shots: 9, Shots on Goal: 3, Saves: 0, Fouls: 7, Corner Kicks: 4, Offsides: 2.
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from September 2, 2020
- FC Tulsa Gets First Home Win Behind Suarez Braces - FC Tulsa
- Legion FC Falls to North Carolina FC - Birmingham Legion FC
- Philadelphia Union II Edged by Atlanta United 2, 2-1 - Philadelphia Union II
- Albadawi and Fortune Score in North Carolina FC Win over Birmingham Legion FC - North Carolina FC
- Toros Fall Short to FC Tulsa on the Road - Rio Grande Valley FC Toros
- Late heroics from Julian Chavez and Mario Penagos solidify dramatic road win against T2 - Sacramento Republic FC
- New Mexico United Staff Member Tests Positive for COVID-19 - New Mexico United
- Mike da Fonte Re-Signs with Energy FC - OKC Energy FC
- Indy Eleven Accepting Nominees for Campeones de la Comunidad Awards - Indy Eleven
- Rowdies Sign Defender Alexander Davey - Tampa Bay Rowdies
- USL Championship Discipline Report - Week 11 - USL
- Memphis 901 FC Reschedules Matches against North Carolina FC - Memphis 901 FC
- North Carolina FC Sets New Dates for Matches against Memphis 901 FC - North Carolina FC
- USL Statement: COVID-19 Test Results - September 2, 2020 - USL
- Alex Davey Transferred to Tampa Bay Rowdies - Hartford Athletic
- Diversity Committee Formed to Take on Issues 'Bigger Than Sports' - Louisville City FC
- Energy FC Bolsters Defense with Re-Signing of Mike da Fonte - OKC Energy FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Sacramento Republic FC Stories
- Returning for 2021: Wheeler-Omiunu Bringing Some Bite to SRFC Midfield
- Around the Leagues: Holiday Weekend Showcasing Great Slate of Soccer
- Returning for 2021: Villarreal Patrols, Protects Central Pitch
- Team Store Website to Help with Holiday Gift Needs
- Returning for 2021: Diaz's Calming Presence Anchors the Defense