Adam Berger Returns to Stampeders
The Calgary Stampeders have signed national defensive back and special-teamer Adam Berger.
Berger was a fourth-round draft pick of the Stamps in 2012 and spent four years in Calgary including the 2014 Grey Cup championship season. He signed with the Ottawa RedBlacks in 2017.
For his CFL career, Berger has 19 defensive tackles, 23 special-teams tackles, one forced fumble, two fumble recoveries, three knockdowns and one blocked punt in 71 games.
The 27-year-old played all 18 games with the RedBlacks in 2017 and posted five defense tackles and four special-teams tackles.
"We obviously are very familiar with Adam from his previous time here and we're pleased to have him back," said Stampeders president and general manager John Hufnagel. "He provides depth on defence and will also be a valuable addition to our special-teams units."
At the collegiate level with Simon Fraser, Berger played 29 games over three seasons with 87 solo tackles, 60 assisted tackles and eight interceptions, three of which were returned for touchdowns.
"I'm really, really excited to be back," said Berger. "I'm looking forward to working with Josh Bell, my former teammate and the Stamps' new defensive backs coach. Calgary was always good to me and while I enjoyed my time in Ottawa, it was hard to leave the Stamps a year ago. Now I'm glad to be back."
• Discuss this story on the Canadian Football League message board...
Canadian Football League Stories from February 13, 2018
- Lions Ink Free Agent Offensive Lineman Chris Greaves - B.C. Lions
- Alouettes Strengthen Secondary - Montreal Alouettes
- Stamps Sign Ese Mrabure - Calgary Stampeders
- Lions Add Free Agent Defensive Back A.J. Jefferson - B.C. Lions
- Red and White Welcome Emanuel Davis - Calgary Stampeders
- Lions Sign Free Agent Defensive Back Garry Peters - B.C. Lions
- Adam Berger Returns to Stampeders - Calgary Stampeders
- Winnipeg Blue Bombers Sign Defensive Back Chandler Fenner - Winnipeg Blue Bombers
- Lions Add Free Agent Defensive Tackle Euclid Cummings - B.C. Lions
- RedBlacks Sign Loucheiz Purifoy - Ottawa RedBlacks
- Winnipeg Blue Bombers Sign Winnipeg-Born Running Back Kienan LaFrance - Winnipeg Blue Bombers
- Lions Ink Former UBC Defenders Mitch Barnett and Dominique Termansen - B.C. Lions
- Haidara Remains in the Nest - Montreal Alouettes
- Tiger-Cats Sign National Kicker Hajrullahu - Hamilton Tiger-Cats
- Lions Land Free Agent Offensive Lineman Jeremy Lewis - B.C. Lions
- Regina Native Zack Evans Signs with the Riders - Saskatchewan Roughriders
- Stamps Sign Deron Mayo - Calgary Stampeders
- RedBlacks Sign A.C. Leonard - Ottawa RedBlacks
- Eskimos Re-Sign Konar - Edmonton Eskimos
- Riders Announce Transactions - Saskatchewan Roughriders
- Eskimos Sign Bazzie - Edmonton Eskimos
- Winnipeg Blue Bombers Agree to Terms with Winnipeg Born Receiver Nic Demski - Winnipeg Blue Bombers
- Lions Snap up Free Agent Offensive Tackle Joel Figueroa - B.C. Lions
- Tiger-Cats Re-Sign All-Star Defensive Tackle Laurent to a Two-Year Contract - Hamilton Tiger-Cats
- Alouettes Re-Sign Bede, Campbell, Vonk and Fulton - Montreal Alouettes
- Eskimos Shore up Secondary - Edmonton Eskimos
- All-Star Linebacker Dean Re-Signs with Tiger-Cats - Hamilton Tiger-Cats
- Argos Extend 2013 CFL Draft Pick Jermaine Gabriel - Toronto Argonauts
- Stamps Re-Sign Special-Teams Standout - Calgary Stampeders
- Offensive Lineman Dan Clark Signs Extension - Saskatchewan Roughriders
- Tiger-Cats Re-Sign Shortill to a Two-Year Contract - Hamilton Tiger-Cats
- Argos Extend Veteran DB Johnny Sears Jr. - Toronto Argonauts
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Calgary Stampeders Stories
- Sack Hat Trick Nets Johnson Award
- Gridiron Gardens Is the Place for Fans to be Prior to Stampeders Summer Home Games
- Stamps Return to Action with Trip to Ottawa
- Stampeders Set to Kick off 2018 Every Yard Counts Program, Presented by Shane Homes
- Mitchell Is CFL's Top Player of the Week