Alouettes Strengthen Secondary
Montreal - The Montreal Alouettes strengthened their secondary on the opening day of CFL free agency on Tuesday, as the club signed international defensive backs Joe Burnett, Tommie Campbell and Dominique Ellis to one-year deals.
Burnett (5'10'', 180 lbs.) helped the Calgary Stampeders reach the Grey Cup the last two seasons. The 31-year-old defensive back made 11 defensive tackles in as many games in 2017, while intercepting one pass and knocking down another. The Eustis, FL native played his first three seasons in the CFL with the Edmonton Eskimos, prior to playing the following three in Calgary. In 80 career games, Burnett recorded 198 defensive tackles and intercepted 12 passes, including three for touchdowns. The former University of Central Florida Knight also recovered three fumbles, including one for a touchdown and knocked down 23 passes.
Campbell (6'3'', 203 lbs.) played in 17 games for the Calgary Stampeders in 2017 collecting 37 tackles and two interceptions. The 30-year-old joined the Stampeders in 2016 and played in all of the team's 18 regular season games in Calgary in his rookie season. The Aliquippa, PA native posted a career-high 71 defensive tackles and three interceptions, while defending nine passes on his way to being named a CFL All-Star. Prior to joining the CFL, Campbell was drafted in the seventh round of the 2011 NFL Draft by the Tennessee Titans, where he played for three seasons before joining the Jacksonville Jaguars. In 44 career games in the NFL, he made 37 tackles while forcing a fumble.
Ellis (5'11'', 204 lbs.) returns to Montreal after starting his professional career with the Alouettes in 2014. Last season, he was limited to five games during which he made 17 defensive tackles, including a quarterback sack, while knocking down four passes. In 50 career games, the Wendell, NC native amassed 121 defensive tackles and five interceptions, while forcing a fumble. During that time, the former South Carolina University Gamecock also cumulated 19 special teams tackles.
"We are extremely happy to have added players of this caliber to our team. These are players who are relentless on the field and appreciated by their teammates in the locker room. They will fit perfectly in the type of team we are putting together", said Alouettes General Manager Kavis Reed.
• Discuss this story on the Canadian Football League message board...
Canadian Football League Stories from February 13, 2018
- Lions Ink Free Agent Offensive Lineman Chris Greaves - B.C. Lions
- Alouettes Strengthen Secondary - Montreal Alouettes
- Stamps Sign Ese Mrabure - Calgary Stampeders
- Lions Add Free Agent Defensive Back A.J. Jefferson - B.C. Lions
- Red and White Welcome Emanuel Davis - Calgary Stampeders
- Lions Sign Free Agent Defensive Back Garry Peters - B.C. Lions
- Adam Berger Returns to Stampeders - Calgary Stampeders
- Winnipeg Blue Bombers Sign Defensive Back Chandler Fenner - Winnipeg Blue Bombers
- Lions Add Free Agent Defensive Tackle Euclid Cummings - B.C. Lions
- RedBlacks Sign Loucheiz Purifoy - Ottawa RedBlacks
- Winnipeg Blue Bombers Sign Winnipeg-Born Running Back Kienan LaFrance - Winnipeg Blue Bombers
- Lions Ink Former UBC Defenders Mitch Barnett and Dominique Termansen - B.C. Lions
- Haidara Remains in the Nest - Montreal Alouettes
- Tiger-Cats Sign National Kicker Hajrullahu - Hamilton Tiger-Cats
- Lions Land Free Agent Offensive Lineman Jeremy Lewis - B.C. Lions
- Regina Native Zack Evans Signs with the Riders - Saskatchewan Roughriders
- Stamps Sign Deron Mayo - Calgary Stampeders
- RedBlacks Sign A.C. Leonard - Ottawa RedBlacks
- Eskimos Re-Sign Konar - Edmonton Eskimos
- Riders Announce Transactions - Saskatchewan Roughriders
- Eskimos Sign Bazzie - Edmonton Eskimos
- Winnipeg Blue Bombers Agree to Terms with Winnipeg Born Receiver Nic Demski - Winnipeg Blue Bombers
- Lions Snap up Free Agent Offensive Tackle Joel Figueroa - B.C. Lions
- Tiger-Cats Re-Sign All-Star Defensive Tackle Laurent to a Two-Year Contract - Hamilton Tiger-Cats
- Alouettes Re-Sign Bede, Campbell, Vonk and Fulton - Montreal Alouettes
- Eskimos Shore up Secondary - Edmonton Eskimos
- All-Star Linebacker Dean Re-Signs with Tiger-Cats - Hamilton Tiger-Cats
- Argos Extend 2013 CFL Draft Pick Jermaine Gabriel - Toronto Argonauts
- Stamps Re-Sign Special-Teams Standout - Calgary Stampeders
- Offensive Lineman Dan Clark Signs Extension - Saskatchewan Roughriders
- Tiger-Cats Re-Sign Shortill to a Two-Year Contract - Hamilton Tiger-Cats
- Argos Extend Veteran DB Johnny Sears Jr. - Toronto Argonauts
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.