Abercrombie's Dramatic Blast Sets Franchise Record
WINNIPEG, MB - The Winnipeg Goldeyes (56-42) beat the Sioux Falls Canaries 3-2 at Shaw Park on Saturday evening.
Trailing 2-1 in the bottom of the ninth inning, Reggie Abercrombie hit a two-run home run to left field to win the game. It was Abercrombie's 91st home run in a Goldeyes' uniform, passing Josh Mazzola for the franchise career record. Wes Darvill opened the inning with a single to left-centre, which snapped a streak of 14 batters retired in a row by Canaries' starter Tyler Herron. Abercrombie fell behind 0-2 before hitting the record-setting home run.
Andrew Ely gave Sioux Falls (37-61) a 1-0 lead in the top of the first with a bloop, RBI single to left. Josh Rehwaldt's two-out, RBI double in the top of the fourth made it 2-0.
In the bottom of the fourth, Kyle Martin doubled off the glove of left fielder Michael Hart with one out and scored Winnipeg's first run when Willy Garcia lined a single to centre.
Brandon Bingel (3-2) picked up the win in relief for the Goldeyes after pitching a scoreless top of the ninth.
Herron (1-4) took the complete game loss, allowing three earned runs on six hits in eight-plus innings. Herron walked none and struck out five.
Goldeyes' starter Kevin Hilton took a no-decision, allowing two earned runs on eight hits over eight innings. Hilton walked one, struck out six, and retired the final 11 batters to face him. Hilton threw 139 pitches, a new season-high for a Goldeyes' pitcher.
Game three of the four-game series is Sunday afternoon at 1:05 p.m. Mitchell Lambson (13-3, 3.03) faces right-hander Keaton Steele (3-9, 5.95). Advance tickets are on sale now by visiting www.goldeyes.com/tickets or by visiting the box office at Shaw Park.
For information on 2020 season tickets, 10-game mini packs, and group tickets, call the Goldeyes' office at (204) 982-BASE, or visit the Goldeyes' official website at www.goldeyes.com.
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from August 31, 2019
- RedHawks Snap Streak with Win against Railroaders - Fargo-Moorhead RedHawks
- Saints Bested by Dogs 9-3 - St. Paul Saints
- Dean's Slam Sparks Dogs to Fifth Straight Win - Chicago Dogs
- Late Lead Slips Away from 'Roaders - Cleburne Railroaders
- McClain Puts Milwaukee on the Board, Lose to AirHogs 3-1 - Milwaukee Milkmen
- Birds Fall to Winnipeg on Walk-Off Homer - Sioux Falls Canaries
- Abercrombie's Dramatic Blast Sets Franchise Record - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- 'Dogs Shut Down by RailCats - Lincoln Saltdogs
- Griffin, Bullpen Blank Saltdogs,2-0, in Series Opener - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Milkmen Close out Road Schedule with 5-3 Defeat - Milwaukee Milkmen
- American Association Game Recaps - AA
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.