'Dogs Shut Down by RailCats
LINCOLN, Nebraska - Brad Thoutt allowed just two runs over 6.2 innings, but the 'Dogs suffered a ninth shutout in a 2-0 loss to the Gary SouthShore RailCats to open the final series of the year at U.S. Steel Yard on Saturday evening.
Thoutt's 6.2-inning start was his longest of the year, but he allowed one run in the 6th and one in the 7th to take his second loss of the season.
Gary opened the scoring with a one-out triple from Hayden Schilling before Jackson Smith added another run with a two-out double.
Lincoln had just two hits in the game. Christian Ibarra broke up David Griffin's no-hit bid with one out in the 6th and Forrestt Allday singled to bring the tying run to the plate in the 9th before Curt Smith hit into a double play to end the game.
Martire Garcia was the only reliever used by Lincoln, tossing 1.1 scoreless innings and working around two walks - one intentional - with a strikeout.
Josh Mazzola's three-game hitting streak came to an end, but both Ivan Marin and Steve Pascual worked walks in the bottom two spots of the order.
The season's final series continues from Indiana on Sunday evening. First-pitch time is set for 6:10 p.m., and pregame coverage will begin at 5:40 p.m. on ESPN Lincoln 101.5 FM/1480 AM.
The Saltdogs are playing their 19th season in Lincoln. All ticket and promo information can be found at saltdogs.com, and follow the 'Dogs on Twitter/Instagram @saltdogsball.
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from August 31, 2019
- RedHawks Snap Streak with Win against Railroaders - Fargo-Moorhead RedHawks
- Saints Bested by Dogs 9-3 - St. Paul Saints
- Dean's Slam Sparks Dogs to Fifth Straight Win - Chicago Dogs
- Late Lead Slips Away from 'Roaders - Cleburne Railroaders
- McClain Puts Milwaukee on the Board, Lose to AirHogs 3-1 - Milwaukee Milkmen
- Birds Fall to Winnipeg on Walk-Off Homer - Sioux Falls Canaries
- Abercrombie's Dramatic Blast Sets Franchise Record - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- 'Dogs Shut Down by RailCats - Lincoln Saltdogs
- Griffin, Bullpen Blank Saltdogs,2-0, in Series Opener - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Milkmen Close out Road Schedule with 5-3 Defeat - Milwaukee Milkmen
- American Association Game Recaps - AA
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Lincoln Saltdogs Stories
- Major League Baseball, American Association Announce Partnership
- A difficult decision, Saltdogs to cancel the 2020 Season
- Saltdogs Cancel 2020 Season
- Start of 2020 Season Delayed by Covid-19 Pandemic
- 'Dogs Sign Former MLB Pitcher Dallas Beeler, Re-Sign LHP Kyle Kinman