Three Mavericks Named to All-CHL Team & All-Rookie TeamMarch 24, 2014 - Central Hockey League (CHL) - Missouri Mavericks
Henrik - degaard joined the Missouri Mavericks at the top of the regular season on assignment from the Mavericks AHL affiliate team, the Chicago Wolves. A true defensive defenseman, - degaard took hold of his role in front of the Mavs net and continued to develop his skills in a new style of play different from what he was accustomed to back home in Norway where he played for the Norwegian national team.
The young defenseman took leave from Missouri in December to participate in Team Norway's Olympic training camp before being named to the team later in January, and playing against some of the best hockey players in the world in the 2014 Winter Olympics in Sochi, Russia in February.
- degaard scored his first professional goal as a Missouri Maverick on Saturday, March 22nd against the Quad City Mallards.
Mavericks' defenseman Matt Stephenson last played for the Sheffield Steelers of the EIHL before joining the Missouri team for the 2013-14 season. Stephenson, a Midland, Ontario native has scored 6 goals and tallied 23 assists for the Mavericks this season, all while accumulating 106 minutes in the penalty box and maintaining a +19 plus/minus.
Stephenson was named the Best Defensive Defenseman in the 2013-14 CHL "Best of the Best' poll, voted upon by all league member teams. He is also a finalist for the Most Outstanding Defenseman award, to be announced on Wednesday, March 26th.
Mavericks' goaltender Shane Owen has been one of the top goaltenders in the Central Hockey League all season long. Currently holding a 2.56 goals-against average and a .915 save percentage, Owen is the winningest goaltender in the league with 35 victories under his belt so far this season. The 23 year old net minder has claimed the CHL Oakley Goaltender of the Week award 4 times this season, each in back-to-back wins.
Owen has also been named a finalist for the CHL's Most Outstanding Goaltender award, to be announced on Friday, March 28th.
The Mavericks play their next game at home vs the St. Charles Chill on Tuesday, March 25th at 7:05pm. The game was originally scheduled for Sunday, March 2nd, but was rescheduled due to the weather. Tickets are available in person at the Box Office, and online at TicketMaster.com.
Central Hockey League Stories from March 24, 2014
- Mallards' Rimmer Called up to AHL's Oklahoma City Barons - Quad City Mallards
- Mavericks Notes - Missouri Mavericks
- Ben Gordon Selected to All-CHL Team - Tulsa Oilers
- Mallards Weekly Update - Quad City Mallards
- Garett Bembridge and Troy Schwab Named to All-CHL Team - Denver Cutthroats
- Three Mavericks Named to All-CHL Team & All-Rookie Team - Missouri Mavericks
- Tyler Ludwig Named to All-CHL Team - Allen Americans
- 2013-14 All-CHL Team Announced - CHL
- Tulsa's Adam Pleskach Named to CHL All-Rookie Team - Tulsa Oilers
- Vincent Arseneau and Lee Moffie Named to CHL All-Rookie Team - Denver Cutthroats
- Tulsa Oilers Weekly News and Notes - Tulsa Oilers
- Alex Lavoie Named to CHL's All Rookie Team - Allen Americans
- Mallards' Rimmer Named to CHL All-Rookie Team - Quad City Mallards
- 2013-14 All-Rookie Team Announced - CHL
- Thunder Weekly - Wichita Thunder
- Asuchak's Amazing Stretch Earns Player of the Week Award in the CHL - Allen Americans
- Allen's Spencer Asuchak Named Oakley CHL Player of the Week - CHL
- Furious Rally Falls Short in Shootout Loss to Allen - Wichita Thunder
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.