Otters Walk off for Second Straight Night against GrizzliesAugust 18, 2012 - Frontier League (FL) Gateway Grizzlies
A record crowd of 8,120 saw Matt Sheely score the game-winning run with two outs on an infield single by Nick Schwaner and a throwing error on Grizzlies third baseman, Chris McClendon.
Rogelio Noris gave Gateway (48-35) an early 2-0 lead on his 15th home run of the season in the first inning.
Evansville (38-44) got a sacrifice fly from Schwaner in the first inning to pull with one run, but the Grizzlies answered with three runs on four hits in the second. McClendon drove in a run on a double, Richie Jimenez picked up an RBI single and Antone DeJesus collected an RBI single.
After Evansville scored two in the third, Jonathan Johnson drove in a run on a single to move to their lead to 6-3.
Evansville roared back with four answered runs. They scored three in the fourth and one in the sixth to take a 7-6 lead.
Jerod Yakubik drove in a run on a single in the seventh inning to tie the game at 7-7, but the Grizzlies left six runners on base in the final three innings and fell for the second straight night.
Johnson, McClendon and Jimenez all had two hits for the Grizzlies, while DeJesus led the way with three hits.
Grizzlies right-hander Richard Barrett (1-4) allowed the game-winning to take the loss. Gateway starter Brett Zawacki only lasted three-plus innings, allowing five runs (three earned).
Gateway will try to avoid the series sweep on Sunday night at Evansville. Right-hander Tim Brown (10-2) makes the start for the Grizzlies. First pitch is set for 6:05 CT.
Playoff tickets are now on sale through the Grizzlies Ticket Office. To get tickets, call 618.337.3000 or go online to gatewaygrizzlies.com.
Frontier League Stories from August 18, 2012
- Otters Set Bosse Field Record with 8,120 Fans in Walk-Off Win over Gateway - Evansville Otters
- Otters Walk off for Second Straight Night against Grizzlies - Gateway Grizzlies
- Hawks Rally in Ninth, Win - Rockford RiverHawks
- Boomers Fail to Complete Comeback - Schaumburg Boomers
- CornBelters lose 5-1 - Normal CornBelters
- Pitching, Late Power Lift Beach Bums - Traverse City Beach Bums
- Crushers Hand Slammers Fifth Straight Loss - Joliet Slammers
- Freedom come from Behind for Win, Keep Playoff Hopes Alive - Florence Freedom
- Crushers slam Joliet - Lake Erie Crushers
- Rascal Offense Buried in Traverse City - River City Rascals
- Wild Things earn a 1-0 victory - Washington Wild Things
- August 18 Joliet Slammers Game Notes - Joliet Slammers
- Rascals to Host Mizzou Pep Rally - River City Rascals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.