One Comeback Bid Not EnoughJuly 28, 2012 - American Association (AA) Winnipeg Goldeyes
The Winnipeg Goldeyes dropped a 15-9 decision to the Sioux Falls Pheasants before 5,318 fans that rode an emotional rollercoaster Saturday night at Shaw Park.
Down 8-1 after the top of the third inning, Downing threw four scoreless innings of relief as the Goldeyes came back to take a 9-8 lead in the sixth inning.
However, Sioux Falls touched Goldeyes relievers Craig James, Zach Baldwin and Griffin Bailey for five runs in the seventh inning and then Dexter Carter allowed two more in the eighth inning.
The Goldeyes scored one the second, three in the third and then tied the game 8-8 in the fourth when Jon Weber hit a two-run double and was followed by a two-run home run from Luis Alen.
Chris Roberson scored an error from Sioux Falls third baseman Cesar Nicolas in the sixth inning to give the Goldeyes their only lead of the ball game.
Roberson led the Goldeyes at the plate with a three-for-five night, while Yurendell de Caster and Alen each had two hits and two RBI.
Goldeyes starter Rich Hawkins pitched into the third inning. He gave up all eight Sioux Falls runs through the first three innings.
James takes the loss for Winnipeg, while former Goldeye Barry Fowler pitched five and a third innings of relief to get his first win of the season.
The rubber match of the three-game series goes Sunday afternoon at 1:30 p.m. Lefty Todd Privett will take to the mound for Winnipeg. He will face fellow left Mitchell Clegg for Sioux Falls.
Coverage on TSN 1290 begins with 55 with Forney at 12:00 p.m.
Great seats for all Goldeyes games are available by clicking on Ticketmaster.ca, calling 1-855-GOLDEYE or visiting any Ticketmaster location, including the one at Shaw Park.
American Association Stories from July 28, 2012
- Lemurs Lose a Close One - Laredo Lemurs
- Kent Helps Salvage Win for T-Bones - Kansas City T-Bones
- Kent Slams Door on AirHogs' Rally in Ninth - Grand Prairie AirHogs
- Chirinos Dazzles In Debut As Diablos Take Fourth Straight Series - El Paso Diablos
- Saltdogs snap six-game losing streak - Sioux City Explorers
- Pheasants Rally Big to Beat Winnipeg - Sioux Falls Canaries
- Saints' Pitching Baffles Les Capitales in 6-2 Win - St. Paul Saints
- One Comeback Bid Not Enough - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- Debuting 'Dogs Impress in Crisp Series Equalizer - Lincoln Saltdogs
- Fargo Defeats RailCats 9-2 to Take Series - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Saints Will Have Two Carr's to Choose From, Sign Pitcher Nick Carr - St. Paul Saints
- Aizenstadt Purchased by Phillies - Wichita Wingnuts
- RailCats Acquire Shah, Rolon from Lincoln - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Dogs Trade for Lock-Down Reliever, Slugging Rookie OF - Lincoln Saltdogs
- Diablos Rally Again In Ninth, Walk Off In 12th - El Paso Diablos
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.