Blunders Cost RiverHawks in 3-1 DefeatJuly 28, 2012 - Frontier League (FL) Rockford RiverHawks
The RiverHawks led 1-0 in the top of the seventh inning with one out, but Jet Butler dropped a foul pop up off the bat of Nick Kuroczko. Kuroczko went on to double, and he moved up to third base on a throwing error by Rockford starter Nick Anderson on a ground ball off the bat of Mike Valadez.
With runners on the corners, Anderson was pulled fot reliever Jordan Goldschmidt. Goldschmidt struck out Jerome Milons for the second out of the inning, but Karexon Sanchez blasted Goldschmidt's first pitch for a three-run homer, his second of the season, to give the Boomers a 3-1 lead.
"You can't give a good ball club like that second and third chances," manager Rich Austin said. "If you do, they'll hurt you.
Anderson (0-2) gave up two unearned runs on five hits in 6 1/3 innings and was handed the defeat.
Schaumburg starter Robby Donovan (7-3) pitched seven strong innings, limiting Rockford to just four hits and one run.
Patrick Mincey pitched a perfect ninth inning for his 12th save of the season.
Rockford's only run came in the first inning on an RBI single by Michael Hur.
The Boomers have won five straight and improved to 39-25 on the season. The RiverHawks have dropped all seven games to the Boomers in the season series, and they fell to 29-35.
Tomorrow is YMCA Family Day at RiverHawks Stadium. Kids get into the park for $2 and can use the YMCA's extra inflatables and participate in other activities put on by the YMCA. Additionally, kids can run the bases and get player autographs after the game.
The RiverHawks are members of the Frontier League, an independent professional baseball league in its 20th season. Games are broadcast on NTA-FM (100.5) Advertising and ticket information is available by calling (815) 885-2255. Fans can also visit www.rockfordriverhawks.com .
Frontier League Stories from July 28, 2012
- Grizzlies Win Again; Defeat Miners in Marion - Gateway Grizzlies
- Miners Drop One to Gateway - Southern Illinois Miners
- Miners Acquire Gerardo Avila - Southern Illinois Miners
- Crushers leave tying run on in ninth, fall 5-4 - Lake Erie Crushers
- Rascals Held to Four Hits in 3-2 Loss at Normal - River City Rascals
- Freedom Slug 20 Hits in Mathes' Shutout of Otters - Florence Freedom
- Liedka, 'Belters Shut Down Rascals in Game 1 Win - Normal CornBelters
- Blunders Cost RiverHawks in 3-1 Defeat - Rockford RiverHawks
- Wild Things Defeat Lake Erie 5-4 - Washington Wild Things
- Win Streak Reaches Five with Comeback Win - Schaumburg Boomers
- Slammers Bounce Back against ThunderBolts in Series Opener - Joliet Slammers
- Wild Things Top Crushers 5-4 - Washington Wild Things
- Otters Lose Series Opener at Florence - Evansville Otters
- July 28 Joliet Slammers Game Notes - Joliet Slammers
- Freedom Sweep Doublheader against Wild Things - Florence Freedom
- Miners Split Doubleheader - Southern Illinois Miners
- Evansville and Southern Illinois Split Doubleheader - Evansville Otters
- Grizzlies Drop Series Finale to Rascals - Gateway Grizzlies
- Rascals Fight off Grizzlies; Win 8-5 - River City Rascals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.