Rainiers Stumble Late Against Sky Sox, 7-4July 15, 2012 - Pacific Coast League (PCL) Tacoma Rainiers
With the score tied at 4-4, DJ LeMahieu singled and Andrew Brown drew a walk to set up Blackmon's game-winning three-run blast off reliever Steven Hensley with two outs in the top of the 11th inning.
The extra-inning theatrics were necessitated thanks to a Sky Sox rally in the ninth. Tacoma held a 3-2 edge before Colorado Springs' Tommy Field led off the top of the inning with a game-tying solo home run off reliever Scott Patterson.
Designated hitter Chad Tracy gave Colorado Springs a brief 4-3 lead with an RBI-double in the tenth until pinch-hitter Luis Rodriguez countered with a game-tying solo home run to lead off the off the bottom of the frame.
Tacoma combined to collect six hits against the Sky Sox on Sunday, with Vinnie Catricala's 2-for-5 performance leading the lineup. Infielder Carlos Triunfel and designated hitter Luis Jimenez each delivered RBI-singles.
Darren Ford failed to collect a hit in five at-bats, ending the outfielder's career-best hitting streak at 17 games.
The right-hander Hensley (1-3) was dealt the loss after surrendering Blackmon's three-run home run in the 11th. Starter Andrew Carraway held the Sky Sox to two runs on five hits over 6.0 innings, while walking three and fanning two.
The Rainiers (40-53) continue the club's current homestand when they welcome the Sacramento River Cats for a four-game series beginning tomorrow, July 16. Left-hander Steve Garrison (0-1, 6.55) is scheduled to start for Tacoma in the series opener against right-hander Graham Godfrey (8-0, 2.88) for Sacramento. First pitch is slated for 7:05 p.m.
Every Rainiers game can be heard live on South Sound Sports 850-AM and is available to be streamed online at www.tacomarainiers.com.
To purchase season tickets, group packages or party decks for the 2012 season, call (253) 752-7707 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. Up-to-date news and notes throughout the season can be found at www.tacomarainiers.com and by following the Rainiers on Twitter (@RainiersLand) or liking the team on Facebook.
Pacific Coast League Stories from July 15, 2012
- 'Topes Rally to Salvage Doubleheader Split with Sounds - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Sounds Split Doubleheader with Isotopes on Sunday - Nashville Sounds
- RedHawks Rout Zephyrs, 12-3 - Oklahoma City RedHawks
- Feliz Scheduled to Rehab at the Dell Diamond Friday - Round Rock Express
- Rainiers Stumble Late Against Sky Sox, 7-4 - Tacoma Rainiers
- Tucson Padres Rained out Sunday - Tucson Padres
- Round Rock Express, Memphis Finale Rained Out - Round Rock Express
- Aces Edge Bees in Finale, 5-3 - Reno Aces
- Omaha Defeated by Iowa, 9-1, in Sunday Matinee - Omaha Storm Chasers
- River Cats Power Past 51s, 12-5 - Sacramento River Cats
- Cubs Breeze Past the Storm Chasers - Iowa Cubs
- Round Rock Express - Game Notes vs. Memphis Redbirds - Round Rock Express
- RedHawks Game Notes: July 15, 2012 - Oklahoma City RedHawks
- Rainiers Clobber Colorado Springs, 16-9 - Tacoma Rainiers
- Tucson beats Fresno - Tucson Padres
- River Cats Slug Their Way Past 51s, 7-1 - Sacramento River Cats
- Bees Clip Aces, 4-3 - Reno Aces
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.