Perez Stymie Cubs 6-2June 21, 2012 - Pacific Coast League (PCL) Round Rock Express
Perez (5-5) limited Iowa to two runs on three hits and two walks with four strikeouts. He did not allow a hit until Josh Vitters' two-out homer in the fourth. That ended an eight-and-two-thirds-innings hitless stretch for Perez, dating back to Brandon Barnes third-inning leadoff double in his last start June 15 against Oklahoma City. Opposing batters were 0-for-25 with two walks during that time. Perez won consecutive starts for the first time since July 31-Aug. 5, 2011.
It was only the second time Perez went past the seventh inning in his professional career. He worked seven and two-thirds innings May 16, 2011, with Double-A Frisco. Perez retired the final seven batters he faced after Ty Wright's seventh-inning, two-out RBI double. He used only 90 pitches (65 strikes) to get through the complete game, Round Rock's first since Zach Jackson's in last year's regular-season finale. Perez did not use more than 14 pitches in any inning and used fewer than 10 pitches four times.
Meanwhile, the Express took advantage of early Iowa miscues and a few hits to provide Perez more than ample run support. Luis Hernandez singled with one out in the first and later scored on Brad Nelson's sacrifice fly. A leadoff error led to a pair of unearned runs in the second; the first scored on Yangervis Solarte's single, and Hernandez added a sacrifice fly.
Brad Nelson opened the fifth with a homer, his ninth of the season and fourth to leadoff an inning. Two batters later, Butler doubled and later scored on a two-out, strikeout-wild pitch. Matt Kata was hit by a pitch to open the seventh and later scored on Solarte's two-out single.
Iowa starter Frankie De La Cruz (1-2) shouldered the loss. He allowed five runs - two earned - on eight hits and two walks with six strikeouts over four and two-thirds innings.
Butler and Solarte both enjoyed three-hit nights. Butler, who also scored twice, robbed Anthony Rizzo of a home run on the second inning's first pitch. It was Butler's seventh three-hit game this season. Solarte enjoyed his first three-hit game since he strung together three straight three-hit outings April 20-22 - the second, third and fourth games of his franchise-record 22-game hitting streak. Hernandez added a pair of singles, and Luis Martinez (1-for-4) stretched his hitting streak to seven games.
Brett Jackson had the only other Iowa hit - a sixth-inning, two-out double off the base of the wall in left-center.
Round Rock and Iowa conclude their four-game series Thursday with a 7:05 p.m. CDT first pitch at The Dell Diamond. Right-hander Derek Hankins (2-3, 3.21 ERA) is scheduled to start for the Express, while left-hander Chris Rusin (5-5, 4.56 ERA) is slated to start for the Cubs.
Pacific Coast League Stories from June 21, 2012
- Straily Helps River Cats Shutout Grizzlies, 6-0 - Sacramento River Cats
- Hot Hitting Continues for Sox in 9-5 Win - Colorado Springs Sky Sox
- Omaha Falls to Memphis, 6-4, in 11 Innings - Omaha Storm Chasers
- 'Topes and Zephyrs Suspended (Game to be Resumed Tomorrow at 5:00) - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Perez Goes the Distance to Beat Cubs - Iowa Cubs
- Sounds defeat Oklahoma City - Oklahoma City RedHawks
- Perez Stymie Cubs 6-2 - Round Rock Express
- Z's and Topes Halted by Rain - New Orleans Zephyrs
- Sounds Win Second Straight over Oklahoma City, 2-1 - Nashville Sounds
- Four-Game Homestand on Deck for Grizzlies from June 23-26 - Fresno Grizzlies
- Yasmani Grandal Selected for 2012 Siriusxm All-Star Futures Game - Tucson Padres
- Los Lunas Hero to be Special Guest of the Isotopes this Saturday - Albuquerque Isotopes
- RedHawks Game Notes - Oklahoma City RedHawks
- Round Rock Express - Game Notes vs. Iowa Cubs (Chicago Cubs) - Round Rock Express
- Triple-A All-Star Umpires Announced - PCL
- Triple-A All-Star Broadcast Details Announced - PCL
- Bauer Selected to Play in Sirius XM All-Star Futures Game - Reno Aces
- Wil Myers, Jake Odorizzi and Yordano Ventura Named to XM All-Star Futures Game Roster - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Four-Run Eighth Lifts 'Topes over Z's 6-4 - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Rainiers Blanked By Reno, 9-0 - Tacoma Rainiers
- Salt Lake Scores Early and Often in 13-5 Sox Loss - Colorado Springs Sky Sox
- Aces Cruise Past Tacoma, 9-0 - Reno Aces
- Carroll Saves Tucson Win - Tucson Padres
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.