Fish Fall Again to the PheasantsJune 19, 2012 - American Association (AA) Winnipeg Goldeyes
The Goldeyes (19-12) only led after the top of the first inning in a 9-4 loss to the Sioux Falls Pheasants (17-14) Tuesday night before 2,149 fans at Sioux Falls Stadium.
Winnipeg has now lost five of six games against Sioux Falls and the Sioux City Explorers in the last week and will be out to avoid being swept tomorrow. The Goldeyes have avoided being swept twice this season, including Sunday in Sioux City.
Jon Weber singled in Chris Roberson, who reached on a double, in the top of the first inning for Winnipeg, but the Pheasants scored twice in the bottom of the inning to a 2-1 lead.
Winnipeg tallied a run in the fourth inning, but Trevor Lawhorn hit a three-run homer for the Pheasants in the bottom of the inning and Sioux Falls had a 5-2 lead they wouldn't relinquish.
Down 6-2 in the seventh inning, Dan Barbero hit a two-run home run to bring the Goldeyes back to within two runs. However, Sioux Falls tallied three runs in the bottom of the frame to wipe out Winnipeg's momentum and secure the win.
Yurendell de Caster went four-for-four at the plate and scored a run to lead the Goldeyes at the dish.
Winnipeg killed rallies or a chance to add to its run total by grounding into three double plays, which matched a season-high.
Goldeyes starter Chris Salamida went just three and two-thirds innings and allowed five runs to take the loss. Alan DeRatt allowed all four Goldeyes runs, but the Sioux Falls starter gets his second win of the season.
Winnipeg's lead atop the North Division is down to just two games over the Pheasants.
The final game of three-game series goes tomorrow afternoon at 12:00 p.m. Matt Rusch (3-1, 2.15) gets the start for Winnipeg, while Sioux Falls is scheduled to counter with lefty Mitchell Clegg (2-1, 4.59).
The pre-game show in TSN 1290 with Paul Edmonds begins at 11:30 a.m.
American Association Stories from June 19, 2012
- Lemurs Let One Slip Away - Laredo Lemurs
- American Association Game Recaps - AA
- Pheasants Win Fifth in a Row - Sioux Falls Canaries
- Jarvis Goes Distance in 6-0 X's Win - Sioux City Explorers
- Jarvis Shuts down RedHawks, Sioux City wins 6-0 - Fargo-Moorhead RedHawks
- Kansas City Defeats El Paso in Game Two of Series - Kansas City T-Bones
- Mackey Rights Ship for the 'Dogs in 5-2 Win - Lincoln Saltdogs
- Fish Fall Again to the Pheasants - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- Offense A No Show As T-Bones Rout Diablos - El Paso Diablos
- Committee Loss for Saints, 5-2 to Saltdogs - St. Paul Saints
- Ziegler, Pitching Great against Sox - Wichita Wingnuts
- Big first inning by Wingnuts stifles Sox in 7-1 loss - Amarillo Sox
- AirHogs Set New Franchise Mark with 10th Straight Victory - Grand Prairie AirHogs
- Eastview High School Wins 3A State Championship - St. Paul Saints
- AirHogs Outlast Boulders in 11 - Grand Prairie AirHogs
- Wingnuts Sign Owner Nate Robertson - Wichita Wingnuts
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.