Stingers, Storm Stymie Rox RallyJune 17, 2012 - Northwoods League (Northwoods) St. Cloud Rox
The Stingers put six runs on the board in the bottom of the third inning. The first seven Willmar batters reached safely in the inning, which included five hits, a walk and a hit batter by Rox starter Paul Schaak (Eastern Michigan). Schaak received the loss for the Rox with a line of three innings pitched and seven runs allowed on six hits. Schaak is now 1-1 on the season with an ERA of 6.00.
St. Cloud fought back in the top of the fourth with a four run rally. The first four Rox batters in the inning collected hits including an Andy Henkemeyer (Minnesota) RBI double and Travis Enger's (St. Cloud State) RBI single. Boo Vazquez (Pittsburgh) capped the scoring with a two-out, two-RBI single.
Andy Urban (Creighton) pitched an inning of perfect relief for St. Cloud in the bottom of the fourth. The Rox got another run in the top of the fifth inning on a Stingers error.
Carlos Lopez (Cal-Fullerton) led the Rox at the plate by going 2-2 with a pair of runs scored, and Mark Rhine (Wake Forest) was 2-2 on the night as well.
The game was called, however, after the top of the fifth inning concluded when the skies opened and the storm sirens were blaring. The loss was St. Cloud's eighth straight and drops their record to 5-13 on the season. The Stingers are now 10-9.
The Rox were escorted by the Willmar fire department to a local fire station to take shelter after a funnel cloud was reportedly seen in the area.
The Rox are back home on Monday night for Superhero Night at the ballpark! Scooby- Doo's appearance at the park was a rousing success on Saturday and now it's Spider- Man's turn to dazzle the fans at Joe Faber Field. Tickets start at just $6 and can be purchased at www.stcloudrox.com.
Northwoods League Stories from June 17, 2012
- Beetles Hold off Bucks to Level Series - Alexandria Beetles
- MoonDogs Clip Honkers - Mankato MoonDogs
- Honkers Shoutout by MoonDogs - Rochester Honkers
- Stingers, Storm Stymie Rox Rally - St. Cloud Rox
- Bullfrogs Outlast Rain, Eau Claire 13-7 - Green Bay Bullfrogs
- Bombers Fall in Roadtrip Finale - Battle Creek Bombers
- Gunn Disarms Chucks, Loggers Win 4-2 - Wisconsin Woodchucks
- Mallards Sweep Chinooks on Father's Day - Madison Mallards
- Rafters Lay It on Bombers, 12-4 - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
- Mallards Look to Finish off Home Stand with Sweep - Madison Mallards
- Loggers Outlast Chucks, Win 10-9 in Ten - Wisconsin Woodchucks
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.