Cougars out of First Half Playoff ContentionJune 14, 2012 - Midwest League (MWL) Kane County Cougars
Kane County (34-33) carried the early advantage in the contest as Tim Ferguson singled to begin the ballgame against starter Jonathan Cornelius and scored on a passed ball. Later in the opening frame, Jorge Bonifacio ripped a single and scored on a knock from Michael Antonio.
Jason Mitchell worked 5.2 innings and limited the River Bandits (33-34) to a run on three hits. Quad Cities picked up their first tally in the second as Luis Mateo cracked at two-bagger to bring home David Medina. The Cougars added a run to their advantage in the fifth inning as Bonifacio knocked a double to score Danny Mateo.
Cody Fassold (1-2) replaced Mitchell and got the final out in the sixth before surrendering three runs in the seventh. Fassold walked a pair before coughing up a two-run triple to Colin Walsh down the left field line. Walsh crossed the dish on a wild pitch to put the River Bandits on top. Cornelius lasted six innings while Bob Revesz (1-1) worked a pair without allowing a hit. Heath Wyatt (S, 9) pitched a perfect ninth.
The Cougars return to Fifth Third Bank Ballpark on Friday when they take on the Cedar Rapids Kernels at 6:30 p.m. For tickets, please call (630) 232-8811 or visit www.kccougars.com. Right-hander Andy Ferguson (0-0) is expected to start for the Cougars against fellow righty Austin Wood (2-5). You can listen to the broadcast on AM 1280 WBIG and www.kccougars.com, beginning with Cougars on Deck at 6:15 p.m.
Midwest League Stories from June 14, 2012
- Kernels shut out Burlington, 8-0 - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- LumberKings Swept at Home by Timber Rattlers - Clinton LumberKings
- Quad Cities Takes Rubber Match with Kane County, 4-3 - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Bees Can't Get Sweep, Lose 8-0 to Kernels - Burlington Bees
- Rattlers sweep Clinton with 9-1 win - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Hawks Humble Captains 9-7 - Lake County Captains
- Snappers Are Playoff Bound - Beloit Snappers
- Wild Win for Loons - Great Lakes Loons
- Goeddel Drives in Run in Loss to Whitecaps - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Chiefs Fall 5-3, Eliminated from Playoff Race - Peoria Chiefs
- Cougars out of First Half Playoff Contention - Kane County Cougars
- Lugnuts earn come-from-behind 5-4 victory - Lansing Lugnuts
- Loons Edge Dragons with 9th Inning Run - Dayton Dragons
- TinCaps Drop Rubber Game, 5-4 - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Castillo Goes to DL, Rodriguez to All-Star Game - MWL
- Bob Dylan to Perform at Parkview Field August 24, 2012 - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Dragons Gameday for June 14 - Dayton Dragons
- Bees Clobber Kernels, 14-9 - Burlington Bees
- 6/14 - Purdue Coach, Schreiber, to Throw out First Pitch (Release Attached) - South Bend Silver Hawks
- Gary Mitchell activated from DL; Jairo Diaz placed on DL - Cedar Rapids Kernels
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.