Wild Things on Short End of 8-2 DecisionJune 12, 2012 - Frontier League (FL) Washington Wild Things
Lake Erie got started in the bottom of the second inning. Third baseman Brandon Decker brought home the first run of the game on a single to right field, scoring left fielder Kellen Kulbacki. Designated hitter Rogelio Noris later scored on a wild pitch, and second baseman Wally Correa added an RBI groundout that brought home Decker from third.
The Crushers added two more runs in the bottom of the fourth inning, extending the lead to 5-0. Decker added another RBI single to right field in the inning, and went on to go 2-for-4 with 2 RBI's in the game. In the fifth, Lake Erie added another run, this time on a solo homerun from center fielder Adrian Ortiz.
The Wild Things had a leadoff base runner in the top of the fourth and the top of the fifth, but failed to capitalize on the opportunities. Lake Erie's starter Trevor Longfellow was the reason for that, pitching eight strong innings. Longfellow allowed only two hits in his eight innings of work and struck out seven.
The Crushers contributed two more runs in the bottom of the eighth inning, extending the lead to 8-0.
The Wild Things got on the board in the top of the ninth inning, after Taylor Oldham drove a single to left field, scoring right fielder Robbie Garvey. Left fielder Jeriel Waller later scored on an RBI groundout by designated hitter Tim Leary, making the score 8-2.
Eric Blackwell, the starter for the Wild Things, pitched five innings, allowing six runs on six hits and walking one. Jhonny Montoya and Alan Gatz pitched a combined three innings of relief, allowing two runs on one hit.
The Wild Things take on the Crushers again tomorrow night at 7:05 p.m. The pre-game show starts at 6:55 and fans can listen in at WJPA 95.3 FM or online at www.msasports.net. The team returns home on Wednesday, June 20th, for a six-game homestand. Tickets are available can be purchased by visiting the CONSOL Energy Park box office, going towww.washingtonwildthings.com, or by calling 866-456-WILD.
Frontier League Stories from June 12, 2012
- Grizzlies Winning Streak Snapped with Loss to Rascals - Gateway Grizzlies
- Rascals Out-Slug Grizzlies 11-8 - River City Rascals
- Miners Lose Close One to Beach Bums - Southern Illinois Miners
- Four Run Eighth Propels Traverse City - Traverse City Beach Bums
- Slammers Bounce Back with 8-0 Shutout - Joliet Slammers
- Evansville Rallies Late But Falls Short at Normal - Evansville Otters
- Lee Pitches RiverHawks Past ThunderBolts - Rockford RiverHawks
- Boomers Blanked at Joliet - Schaumburg Boomers
- CornBelters Topple Evansville 5-1 - Normal CornBelters
- Longfellow shines in Lake Erie win - Lake Erie Crushers
- Catapano Frustrates Rippers - London Rippers
- Wild Things on Short End of 8-2 Decision - Washington Wild Things
- June 12 Joliet Slammers Game Notes - Joliet Slammers
- RiverHawks Sign Rookie Pitcher from Ohio State - Rockford RiverHawks
- Rascals Release New Concession Item "Arch Nemesis" - River City Rascals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.