Freedom Host Striking out Cancer on MondayJune 9, 2012 - Frontier League (FL) Florence Freedom
But like every game at the Home of the Florence Freedom, there's always something going on besides baseball. Nothing could be more true when on Monday, the Freedom host Striking Out Cancer.
Thanks to 32 sponsors and growing, Monday will see more than 3,000 cancer survivors and families enjoy a night of hope, support, remembrance and of course, fun at the ballpark.
"Striking Out Cancer is an event that is always looked forward to each summer," Freedom General Manager Josh Anderson said. "The Freedom's motto is "So much more than baseball', and this is one of our marquee events to prove that."
Gates open Monday at 6:05 pm with first pitch slated for 7:05 pm. Fans still without tickets should contact the Freedom early Monday morning as only a handful of tickets remain for the soon to be sold out event.
Besides just the game, Monday's activities will include a post-game jersey auction as the Freedom don specialty pink-uniforms. Proceeds from jersey sales will be made to the I Have Wings Foundation.
The "not a dry eye' moment happens during the seventh inning stretch when cancer survivors/victims are welcomed down on the field to line the foul lines. Time will be taken until all are on the field. The remaining family members and fans will then show their support with a standing ovation.
The Freedom would like to recognize all the sponsors who helped make this night free of charge to over 3,000 cancer survivors and families.
Reinhart Food Service
BME Mechanical & Electrical
C & O United Credit Union
Middendorf Animal Hospital
Traction (double sponsor)
Global Business Solutions
Don Volland Realtor
Midwest Sports Complex
All fans are encouraged to thank each sponsor on Monday at their concourse booth for providing the tickets for the cancer survivors/victims and their families.
The Freedom are part of the Independent Frontier League and play their home games at the Home of the Florence Freedom located at 7950 Freedom Way in Florence, Kentucky. The Freedom may be reached at (859) 594-HITS (4487).
Frontier League Stories from June 9, 2012
- Boomers Hang on for 6-5 Win on Cancer Survivors' Night - Schaumburg Boomers
- Big Seventh Inning for Rippers Dooms Joliet - Joliet Slammers
- Miners Hit Their Way to Victory over Rockford - Southern Illinois Miners
- Miners Thump RiverHawks 12-3 - Rockford RiverHawks
- Traverse City Rallies Late for 11-5 Win against Evansville - Evansville Otters
- Beach Bums Throttle Evansville Bullpen - Traverse City Beach Bums
- ThunderBolts beat Florence 4-3 - Windy City ThunderBolts
- Grizzlies Shutout Crushers - Lake Erie Crushers
- Brodin's Blast Catapults London - London Rippers
- Grizzlies Cruise by Crushers for Second Consecutive Win - Gateway Grizzlies
- Wild Things drop Game Two - Washington Wild Things
- Normal wins second road game, 4-0 - Normal CornBelters
- Freedom Host Striking out Cancer on Monday - Florence Freedom
- RiverHawks Sign Rookie Pitcher, Will Start Tonight - Rockford RiverHawks
- When the Wild Things Are Away, Country Music Will Play - Washington Wild Things
- June 9 Joliet Slammers Game Notes - Joliet Slammers
- Miners Win in Comeback Fashion against Rockford - Southern Illinois Miners
- Six-Run Ninth Beats RiverHawks - Rockford RiverHawks
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.