Aeros Keep Rolling, Win Fourth StraightJune 1, 2012 - Eastern League (EL) Akron Aeros
Three Aeros pitchers combined to hold the Mets to one hit, a single-game low for an Aeros opponent this year.
The Aeros (33-19) won for the fourth straight time, and improved to a season-high, 14 games over the .500-mark. The win over the B-Mets (25-27) was also timely since second-place Harrisburg lost a 10-3 decision at New Britain. As a result, the first-place Aeros now hold a six-game lead in the EL West.
The Aeros took a 3-0 lead in the fourth inning when Abraham crushed a home run to left field on a 1-1 pitch from B-Mets starter Gonzelez Germen (1-4). It was Abraham's fifth of the year, and drove home Fedroff and Chun Chen, who had both reached on singles. In his last three games, Abraham has seven RBI's.
In the fifth, the Aeros extended the lead to 6-0, as Fedroff laced a two-run single, and Chen added an RBI groundout. The game marked Fedroff's first four-hit game of the year, and raised his batting average to .316.
All the early offense was ample support for Aeros starter Steven Wright (4-2). In his second game back after a two-week stay on the DL from a broken toe, Wright turned in six strong innings allowing only one hit. That hit was a solo home run by Reese Havens in the fifth inning, and proved to be the only hit for Binghamton on the night. The B-Mets tallied an unearned run against Wright in the sixth without the benefit of a hit. Overall, Wright struck out six and walked only two, and lowered his ERA to 1.72.
Righthanders Kyle Landis (2 IP) and Bryce Stowell (1 IP) finished off the Mets once Wright was lifted. Neither reliever allowed a hit.
Weglarz capped the Aeros scoring in the ninth with a solo homer, his fourth of the year. He finished 2-5 on the night.
The Aeros and B-Mets will continue the series on Saturday evening at 7:05. RHP Paolo Espino (0-1, 1.69) is the scheduled starter for the Aeros, while LHP Darrin Gorski (2-3, 4.63) figures to get the ball for Binghamton. All Aeros games are broadcast on Fox Sports 1350 AM and online at www.akronaeros.com. For more information, please call the Aeros at 330-253-5151.
Eastern League Stories from June 1, 2012
- Aeros Keep Rolling, Win Fourth Straight - Akron Aeros
- Fisher Cats Game Suspended in Eighth - New Hampshire Fisher Cats
- Friday's Game Suspended in 8th; Will be Completed Prior to Saturday's Game - Trenton Thunder
- Aeros Top B-Mets in Series Opener, 10-2 - Binghamton Mets
- Rock Cats Rock the Senators 10-3 - Harrisburg Senators
- New Britain Scores Seven in Second to Rout Harrisburg - New Britain Rock Cats
- Squirrels and SeaWolves Suspended Friday - Richmond Flying Squirrels
- SeaWolves and Flying Squirrels Suspended - Erie SeaWolves
- Sea Dogs Postponed in Altoona - Portland Sea Dogs
- Series Opener for Curve and Sea Dogs Postponed - Altoona Curve
- Baysox, R-Phils Postponed - Bowie Baysox
- Sea Dogs Game Notes - Portland Sea Dogs
- INF Corban Joseph Promoted to AAA - Trenton Thunder
- Bowie Baysox Announce Player Moves - Bowie Baysox
- Flying Squirrels Game Notes vs. Erie - Richmond Flying Squirrels
- Erie SeaWolves vs. Richmond Flying Squirrels - Game Notes - Erie SeaWolves
- Rock Cats Join Six-Team Effort To Educate Fans - New Britain Rock Cats
- B-Mets Game Notes: vs Akron Aeros - Binghamton Mets
- Right-handed hurler David Bromberg goes to Triple-A - New Britain Rock Cats
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.