River Cats Win Second-Straight against Grizzlies, 3-1May 30, 2012 - Pacific Coast League (PCL) Sacramento River Cats
Fresno scored once in the second when Tyler LaTorre singled-home former River Cat Todd Linden. Sacramento responded with a three-run fifth that included Sogard's two-run single, preceded by an RBI double from outfielder Grant Green. The Cats pitching staff shut down the Grizzly offense for the remainder of the game, preserving the 3-1 victory.
A's outfielder Yoenis Céspedes went 0-for-2 with a walk in his third rehab game. He is 3-for-9 (.333) with one walk with the Cats. Manny Ramirez went 0-for-4 with three strikeouts in his first game as a member of the River Cats 25-man roster. Wednesday was also Ramirez's 40th birthday.
Sacramento starter Travis Banwart gave up one run in seven innings for his fourth win. Erick Threets and Evan Scribner preserved the win as each threw one shutout inning. Threets notched his second hold and Scribner tallied his fifth save. Sogard paced the River Cats offense, connecting on two of the team's four hits and driving in two of their three runs.
The win puts Sacramento 1.5 games behind Fresno for first place in the entire Pacific Coast League.
The third game of the series is set for Miller Lite Thirsty Thursday. It will also be A's vs. Giants day at Raley Field so the first 2,500 fans in the park will receive a Highway 99 Showdown Hat before watching River Cats RHP Graham Godfrey (3-0, 1.21 ERA) take on Fresno RHP Yusmeiro Petit (2-2, 3.98 ERA).
2012 River Cats Season Tickets, Mini-Plans, Flex Plans and group outings can be purchased by calling the River Cats Ticket Hotline at (916) 371-HITS (4487). Individual game tickets, starting at $8, are available online at ticketmaster.com and at Raley Field's Round Table Pizza Ticket Office. For more information about the 2012 River Cats season, visit www.rivercats.com. For information on other events at Raley Field, visit www.raleyfield.com.
Pacific Coast League Stories from May 30, 2012
- Bass, RedHawks Stymie Sounds, 7-2 - Oklahoma City RedHawks
- Redbirds Rally by Round Rock - Memphis Redbirds
- Isotopes Blank Zephyrs 4-0 - New Orleans Zephyrs
- Round Rock Express Clipped at Memphis 4-3 - Round Rock Express
- Sounds' Struggles against RedHawks Continue with 7-2 Loss - Nashville Sounds
- Hand Takes No-Hitter into Eighth - New Orleans Zephyrs
- Fife Flummoxes Z's in 4-0 'Topes Win - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Reno Cruises to 13-5 Win over Tacoma - Reno Aces
- Rainiers Roughed Up At Reno, 13-5 - Tacoma Rainiers
- Banwart Leads Sacramento over Fresno - Fresno Grizzlies
- Wednesday's Chasers and I-Cubs Game Postponed - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Iowa Cubs Rained out in Omaha - Iowa Cubs
- River Cats Win Second-Straight against Grizzlies, 3-1 - Sacramento River Cats
- Cubs Add RHP Shane Lindsay - Iowa Cubs
- Round Rock Express - Game Notes at Memphis Redbirds - Round Rock Express
- RedHawks Game Notes - Oklahoma City RedHawks
- Oswalt Scheduled to Start for Express Saturday - Round Rock Express
- Chasers and Budweiser of Omaha Team up for Children of Fallen and Disabled Soldiers - Omaha Storm Chasers
- RedHawks Win Rain-Shortened Game, 2-0 - Oklahoma City RedHawks
- Padres' Rally Catches Las Vegas in Sixth - Tucson Padres
- Aces Take Opener over Tacoma, 7-5 - Reno Aces
- Tacoma Taken Down By Reno, 7-5 - Tacoma Rainiers
- Hicks' Walk-Off Home Run Lifts River Cats Past Grizzlies, 4-2 - Sacramento River Cats
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.