Kroenke Plays Ace in Reno VictoryMay 9, 2012 - Pacific Coast League (PCL) Memphis Redbirds
The Aces jumped out to an early 3-0 lead with a three-run homer by Josh Bell in the first inning. Amaury Cazana put the 'Birds on the board in the fourth with a solo shot to right field before Reno tacked on two more runs in the fifth. The Redbirds attempted to rally in the eighth, sending home Ryan Jackson on a single by Steven Hill, but fell short. A sacrifice fly and two RBI-singles in the ninth extended Reno's lead to 8-2 before Eugenio Velez hit a home run to right field for the last Redbirds run on the game.
Memphis starter Joe Kelly suffered the loss, allowing five runs, two earned, on four hits and two walks while striking out four. Zach Kroenke was sharp in his 7.2 innings pitched, allowing only two runs on seven hits while walking one and striking out one for the win. Reno reliever Sam Demel picked up his first save, giving up only one run in his 1.1 innings of work.
The Redbirds and Aces will play tomorrow night with game time scheduled for 7:05 p.m. With the 31st anniversary of former Montreal Expos pitcher Charlie Lea's no-hitter, the Redbirds will honor Lea's life throughout tomorrow night's game. Audio of the radio broadcast during Lea's no-hitter will be shared, as well as facts about the former Redbirds broadcaster. Finalists in line to receive the Charlie Lea Award will also be announced during the game. Also, the first 2,000 fans through the gates will receive a flyswatter sponsored by Cook's Pest Control. For ticket information call 901.721.6000 or visit memphisredbirds.com.
Pacific Coast League Stories from May 9, 2012
- Round Rock Express Drop Heartbreaker at Salt Lake 10-9 - Round Rock Express
- Rainiers Upended By Albuquerque, 9-7 - Tacoma Rainiers
- Sands and Angle Mangle Rainiers in 9-7 'Topes Win - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Round Rock Express - Game Notes at Salt Lake Bees - Round Rock Express
- 51s Stun RedHawks, 2-1 - Oklahoma City RedHawks
- Big Innings Sting Zephyrs in 9-1 Loss to Tucson - New Orleans Zephyrs
- Kroenke Plays Ace in Reno Victory - Memphis Redbirds
- Johnny Giavotella to Kansas City - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Six-Run Eighth Inning Gives Sounds 6-2 Victory over Colorado - Nashville Sounds
- Tucson Bats Hot from the Start in 9-1 Win - Tucson Padres
- Aces Cruise to Sixth-Straight Win and First Place - Reno Aces
- Mother's Day Pampering at the Park - Tacoma Rainiers
- Storm Chasers to Recognize 12 College-Bound Students - Omaha Storm Chasers
- 'Mr. Belding' to Host School Spirit Night on May 11 - Salt Lake Bees
- Lucha Libre Brings Illegal Immigration Debate to Central Texas - Round Rock Express
- RedHawks Game Notes: May 9, 2012 - Oklahoma City RedHawks
- Rusin, Rizzo Help Cubs Roar Past Grizzlies - Iowa Cubs
- 'Topes Outlast Rainiers 4-2 for Series Opening Win - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Aces Rally by Redbirds - Memphis Redbirds
- Montz's Walk-Off in 16th Gives Zephyrs 11-8 Win - New Orleans Zephyrs
- Padres Fall on 16th Inning Homer - Tucson Padres
- Rainiers Toppled By 'Topes - Tacoma Rainiers
- Donaldson Delivers 4-3 Win in Walk-Off Fashion - Sacramento River Cats
- Sacramento Rallies to Sink Storm Chasers - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Aces Win 9-8 in Longest Game in Club History - Reno Aces
- Las Vegas Takes Series Opener, 4-1 - Oklahoma City RedHawks
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.