Asheville defeats Lakewood 4-3April 27, 2012 - South Atlantic League (SAL) Asheville Tourists
Delta Cleary Jr. singled to shallow center with one out, scoring Brian Humphries from third for the first ninth inning run. With the game tied, Trevor Story went first to third on a wild pitch and came home on an overthrow by the BlueClaws catcher John Hill.
Ken Roberts worked a perfect ninth for Asheville, while receiving some excellent defense behind him. Humphries finished with two hits and Harold Riggins extended his reached base streak to 17 straight games. Aaron Altherr finished 3-for-4 with a triple for the BlueClaws, but it wasn't enough. Ben Alsup worked 6.2 innings and received a no-decision for the Tourists.
On Friday night, the Tourists used a solid starting pitching performance from Alex Gillingham (2-1, 4.98) and a four RBI performance from Humphries to win the series finale 7-3. Riggins clubbed a three-run Home Run and Geoffrey Parker pitched two scoreless innings in relief. Jordan Ribera made his first appearance as a Tourist and finished with a base hit and two runs scored.
Gillingham worked six innings, gave up just two runs on five hits, and struck out seven BlueClaws en route to his second win of the season. The Tourists have now won three straight and improved to 8-2 away from McCormick Field. The T's currently sit 1.5 games back of Charleston in the race for first place in the Southern division.
South Atlantic League Stories from April 27, 2012
- Miller Hits Suns' 5th Grand Slam in 9-3 Win Over Braves - Hagerstown Suns
- Asheville defeats Lakewood 4-3 - Asheville Tourists
- Six-Run Ninth Inning Leads to Rome Loss - Rome Braves
- GreenJackets Clubbed to Death - Augusta GreenJackets
- Legends Shut out Charleston 7-0 Behind Cruz - Lexington Legends
- Grasshoppers Spring by 'Dads on Friday Night - Hickory Crawdads
- Drive Blanked, 6-0, in Finale at Delmarva - Greenville Drive
- 7-3 Loss Sends BlueClaws to 3-Game Skid - Lakewood BlueClaws
- Shorebirds Shutout Drive 6-0 to Win Series - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Power Fails - West Virginia Power
- Lex Is More: Legends Beat RiverDogs Again - Charleston RiverDogs
- Shorebirds Game Notes vs. Greenville - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Power Game Notes - West Virginia Power
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.